From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:19:57 -0400

jet wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "You've got MALE.. sex organs!" wrote:
> > >
> > > Jesus, Aaron, you're going to deny you are right wing fuckhead?
> >
> > How can I be "right wing" when I OPPOSE right-wing ways, methods, and
> philosophies?
>
> OK, you're just a fuckhead.
>

> > Since YOU are making the accusation that I am "right wing", then
> > first, you must PROVE that I agree with their ways, methods, and
> philosophies.
> >

> > Until then, you're a slandering asshole
>
> And an asshole.

>  (Are you going to sue him?)

That's pretty funny coming from a self-proclaimed Dinner-Whore.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:20:34 -0400

jet wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > jet wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > just

> another.

> > > communication.

> effective

> mean?

> > > And he said yet again that you got kicked out of school for cheating.

> > > If you said you were going to sue him for "effectively spreading
> rumors",
> > > you'd have a point. You said you were going to sue him if he said you
> got
> > > kicked out of school for cheating.
> >
> > Why would I sue when the BASIS for such a suit is that the defendant
> > must have some credibility?
>
> So, when he said you got kicked out of school for cheating, he had
> credibility?

To newbies who were previously unfamiliar with him, yes.

> > Hmmmm
> >
> > As a wise man once said:  "A **FOOLISH** consistancy is the hobgoblin
> > of little minds"
> >
> > And we *already* know that you, Jet, are a fool. This has been documented
> > in item B, below, for well over 24 months now.
>
> Dang, what kind of loser has *sections* to his epic sig?
>
> > > Besides, one could not believe you are a crack whore, yet still believe
> you
> > > got kicked out of school for cheating.
> >
> > Which is PRECISELY why and how Chanby fucked up his own credibility.
>
> IWO, he had credibility when he claimed you got kicked out of school for
> cheating. Got it.

See above.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:20:54 -0400

jet wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > jet wrote:
> > >
> > > Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9f7khn$sno$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> effective

> mean?

> any
> > >
> > > Yeah, it does look that way.
> >
> > Why should I sue, when the fuckhead destroyed himself in less than a day?
>
> Cluck...cluck...cluck...cluck...

That's pretty funny coming from a self-proclaimed Meal-Whore.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:52:52 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 05:11:10 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps it's my ancient box at work then - PII 300 with 64MB RAM
running
> >> NT4 WS. Explorer is useless until the coping finishes.
> >
> >What is happening, exactly? Does the coputer stop working? Or does it
work,
> >but the copying box don't allow you to use Explorer until it's done?
> >
> >If the latter, than that is a sign of some of the bad UI slips of MS.
They
> >shouldn't have used a modal box here.
> >It was present in 95, and fixed in 98.
> >Maybe installing a recent IE would solve it?
>
> What would IE have to do with it?

It replace the shell, it's possible that explorer uses a syncronous model,
and not an asyncornous model, for writing.
IE may fix that.

> >> Programming environments (rhide), text editors (emacs, pico etc), FTP
> >> clients, IRC clients, Telnet, File Management (mc in Linux?), SSH,
> >> Office Apps (yes, I still use WordPerfect for DOS on my ancient
laptop -
> >> and I like it),
> >
> >Those are all personal choices, except fo Telnet & SSH, which is a little
> >like cheating, in this case, since you are openning a *CLI* session on
> >another computer.
>
> Yeah, but there's nothing stopping you from opening a telnet client in
> a GUI.

I believe that 9x has this, btw.
Quite nice, too.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:07:26 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 04:57:16 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >And I like CMD's filename completion betterthan I like bash.
>
> What's the difference?

Couldn't get Bash's to work :-D

> >> Quite a lot of arrow key playing, especially to open all the recursed
> >> directories.
>
> >Okay, WinKey+E open explorer, and put the choice on My Computer.
> >On my computer (and most new one), the icon directly above my computer is
My
> >Documents.
> >If F4 doesn't work, try F6 and then F4.
>
> All that does is put the focus on the right pane.

Different tabbing version, let's leave this.

> >> It should be assumed that you know what you want to copy in the first
> >> place though.
> >
> >Ha? And what if I don't? How do I find out what I want to copy?
> >I've a directory with several thousands pictures, scattered in couple of
> >directories.
> >On Explorer, I can copy them based on their content, not so in the CLI.
>
> If you were dealing with pictures, you'd have to have a GUI in the
> first place to see them! Replace pictures with text or something, and
> you'd have a point.

Sure, I've a lot of source files, and I usually give them names like
WinSockWrap.h, SocketBerkley.cpp, COMWrapper.cpp, OpenGL.h, etc.
(Skopping the hard linking nightmare on my HD)
I have two options on the CLI, I can copy all the files based on some
pattern matching, (see above, aside from the extention (which doesn't mean
much), they don't have anything in common.
Or, I can copy them one by one.

Suppose I want all the files which deal with networking, on the CLI, I
would've to do a lot of typing.
On the GUI, I can hunt them with the mouse and pressed ctrl.

What do you think is more efficent?

> >> You must have a very fast machine then. Mine takes at least twice as
> >> long. And if you were using a CLI, you wouldn't need to bring up
> >> CMD.exe
> >
> >Yes, I've, but I noticed the same on other, slower machine.
> >The arguement works both ways, you understand, if you are using GUI, you
are
> >likely to have explorer already open.
>
> That doesn't make sense. If you were using a CLI, then CMD or whatever
> would ALREADY be there, always, otherwise you're not in a CLI. If
> you're in a GUI, there's no guarentee that explorer will be there at
> all.

But I'm *not* using CLI normally, so CMD won't be usually open (unless I do
some adminstraton) on my computer.
However, if I'm using the GUI, I usually have Explorer window running. (And
if not, I can invoke it in two keystrokes, with near-instantous response.
For comparison, Explorer come up faster than the start menu)

> >> Yes, but the average user won't be using 2K.
> >
> >That depend on what he is talking about.
> >If he is talking about all of Windows being unusable while it write to
disk,
> >then it's a 9x problem.
> >Which doesn't appear on XP.
>
> Well, I don't think too many people will be too eager to upgrade to
> that in a hurry.

What is the benefits that WinXP gives people compare to older versions?
I wouldn't list them, but I would say that they are greater than 95>98
benefits, much greater if you are moving from 9x.
The most popular OS at the moment is Win98.

I think that the same will happen to XP.

Then again, the one reason that I don't like XP is the activation.
But public press got Intel to get rid of CPU-ID, let's see if they can move
MS.

> >> My machine isn't a server, but I use the CLI all the time. It's so
> >> much easier (when you know what you're doing. The average user will be
> >> stopped dead in their tracks if they try to use a CLI)
> >
> >So, you admit that the CLI is not fit to be used by the average user on
the
> >desktop.
> >The CLI can be very powerful, but it require much more than GUI does.
>
> Such as learning some commands.

No, such as *memorizing* commands.
This is *bad*, the GUI allow you to *recall*.
There is a difference in the amount of effort involved.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:09:47 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 05:18:42 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"John Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:l9xS6.7691$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> It stikes me that developers could just invent what they like, and
users
> >> could just choose to use what they like.
> >
> >That would be nice, but this require a lot more customizibility than most
> >people built into their applications.
> >Take Office & VS UI, you can customized it to your heart's content, but
> >apperantly this, too, annoy users.
> >
> >What you suggest is technically very difficult.
> >And even if it was possible, would I *really* want to use a program that
I'd
> >to fix its UI first?
>
> I wouldn't want a program whose UI I could't customise. Imagine mutt
> without all its customisations...

mutt?

The difference is that if I need to change the UI in order to use the
program, I wouldn't want to use it.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:17:53 +0200

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:10:43 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > But it isn't really that good as an FTP client.
> Will it even upload ?

Yes.
I recommend againt backuping up all of C: this way.
For one thing, the upload will most certianly fail on Win386.swp (windows'
virtual memory).
If you need infrequent FTP, explorer can certainly do the job.

Although, I'm using it almost exlusively for... 4 years now, I suppose. And
I *still* don't know if it can resume downloads (HTTP, or FTP)

The way to do it is to go to C:, click on windows folder, Edit, Invert
Select, Ctrl+C
Enter the FTP path on the explorer adress bar.
ftp://user:pass@adress/directory/sub-directory/
In the above format.

And it will log on and let you paste in the FTP, just like normal file
management stuff.

I wouldn't recomend doing it this way unless you've LAN.

> Thanks again Ayende, between Eric F, and yourself you're giving
> Windows advocates a good name on COLA :)

No problems.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:19:35 +0200

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:31:17 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Why would you want to use PSP to do a screen capture? Windows will do it
for
> > you automatically.
> >

> Which Windows Ayende, I dont recall Win95 having a screen capture ?

I think that it has it since Win95.
You use Print Scrn button to do this.
Or Ctrl+PrintScrn to capture just the active window.

Very useful for backing up encrypted PDF. Like "Snow".
Phew!

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:25:06 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > > The structure of OSS projects makes it ratjer hard
> > > to do many of the techniques commercial developers
> > > do you. You can have code readings, yes, but not
> > > walkthroughs or inspections. You can have unit tests,
> > > but only if your contributors feel like writing them.
> >
> > .. and m$ has such a great QA department? I gues thats why they are
> > alwasy gettting hacked, and there's so many BSODs.
>
> Hey, at least they can do better than StarOffice. :D

No, they dont.

> [snip]
> > Now, how is the OS so portable, and not the apps that run on that OS?
>
> Well, Unix is easy to port to new hardware, but
> Unix apps are often not easy to port to other
> operating systems.
>
> What's so difficult to understand about that?

I asked why, your answer is becasue? figures.

> [snip]
> > > Go to www.gnome.org; there's a FAQ about them
> > > there.
> >
> > Really? would you be so kind as to give me the URL. I cant seem to find
> > one for the GNU Foundation.
>
> I never mentioned any "GNU Foundation"; I think
> you must be thinking of the Free Software Foundation.
>
> I was thinking of the GNOME Foundation.

I asked for URL. Im asking again for a URL. You said it was on the GNU
page. I looked, I couldnt find it.

> But I don't suppose it makes much
> difference really.

Yeah, it does. I'd like to read about the GNOME Foundation.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Teamware Linux)
Subject: Re: What does Linux need for the desktop?
Date: 4 Jun 2001 03:26:07 -0700

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<9feslk$o5i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >

> > > "Teamware Linux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > How is the UI? I hope it's not like Lotus.
> > >

> > Naa, it's a definitiv clone of the M$-GUI. Shit, who cares? I bet there
>  are
> > screenshots on their page somewhere, and anyway, aren't you a windows-kid?
>
> The problem with Lotus' UI is that it sucks, period.
> And the users do care.

Yes there are screen shots at:

http://www.teamware.com/linux/

Teamware Office is available for Solaris, Linux and yes also MS NT.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:33:20 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > > My, you are tenacious. If your really need to have
> > > the obivous pointed out to you, I will do it.
> > >
> > > The problem with your reasoning there is that
> > > you are equivocating in the meaning of "themes".
> >
> > Im not equivocating in the meaning of anything. You said themes=widget
> > sets=skins. Therefore, if they equal each other, if you change one, you
> > canhge the other, therfore, by your defintion, change a theme or skin
> > and you change the widget set. -By YOUR defintion-.
>
> I didn't give any definitions, strictly speaking.
>
> However, if you use "theme" to mean what
> you can reconfigure in KDE or GNOME,
> then you are using it to mean something different
> from what I was talking about.
>
> If you use this meaning, then themese are not
> widget sets.
>
> You aren't going to get anywhere by doing
> this unless I do forget where we've already
> been.

So, now you are denying that you equated themse, skins and widget sets?

> > And I'm not sure it matters. In a real sense themes
> > are skins and skins are widget sets. The differences
> > are not really worth arguing over.

Do the above words seem familiar. They should. They are yours.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:37:55 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ffgod$han$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Actually, there was one thread I'm glad I didn't miss: it was a problem
> with gcc x-posted to comp.lang.c. Aaron got killfiled by all the regular
> posters on there.

He post a stunning number of 49,800(!!!) posts.
I wish I had Deja's tracking, so I can tell which groups suffer the most
from him.

Google hint that those are the groups that he visited the most:
comp.os.linux.advocacy
us.military.army
soc.singles.*
rec.aviation.military.*

For comparison, I posted around 4400 posts.
And you didn't evern reach 2000 yet.

------------------------------

From: LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Windows XP Ushers in New Era of Communications
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:24:37 GMT

http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-6177688-0.html?tag=ltnc
Hey Microsoft.  A personal computer is not a telephone.  It is a
computing device.  Computing and communications can be put into the
same box, but they remain two distinct things.  If you weld a
telephone into a car, does it become a communications device?  Trying
to rename computers is not going to solve your antitrust problem.
Please get a clue and then give us a real operating system.
Thank-you,
LShaping

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:44:19 -0400

JS \\ PL wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:21:24 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> > >*sigh* Why not ask X why they're still stuck in 1990? Either way, if
> >
> > Why should X change just because a few people seem to find it too
> > difficult to press the left and right buttons at the same time?
> >
> > >Linux wants to remain competitive on the desktop it will have to do
> > >better than this. I read an article a while back on how each OS should
> > >just stick to their respective markets, and we'd all be better. Windows
> > >should stick to the desktop (where it does a better job than Linux), and
> > >UNIXens should stick to servers, workstations, routers, ... all the
> > >industrial-strength stuff.
> >
> > What, you're saying normal users shouldn't be given the option of a
> > stable operating system?
>
> They already DO have that option. It's called Windows2000 and soon to be
> Windows XP. Every Linux/Xwindows combination I've ever seen is less stable
> than Windows 95. I just had the pleasure of setting a system up yesterday.
> The first question the guy asked me today was "How do I recover from a
> frozen mouse cursor without just hitting the power switch."

ahahhahahahahhaha  ahahhahahahaha hahahhhahahahahahaha

BTW, did you tell the guy try cntrl-alt-backspace? (IIRC, that is the
combo that kills X).

--
Rick