From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:44:07 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:40 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Said Bob Hauck in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:43:44

> Indeed.  We are talking about commercial activity here.  Doing a simple
> bit of division is not quite the same as making a business case for a
> huge investment.

No, it isn't.  It is a good thing that I'm not trying to make the whole
business case here on COLA.  I'm merely saying that your knee-jerk
reaction of "it can't possibly work" may be false.  It may work just
fine.  YOU don't know because YOU haven't done the business case
either, merely "presumed" a lot.  That's _all_ I am arguing.

> >> I think you are projecting, but then, maybe you were just being dumb and
> >> I pointed it out?
> >
> >Yeah, that's it.  We're all dumb except you.
>
> Why do you say that?  I think you're projecting again.  I didn't say
> that.

Really?

> >> "Like to waste money"?  You're at risk of being called dumb again.

Oh, wait, so you _did_ say I was dumb after all!  And here I was going
to give you the benefit of the hair-splitting, since you said that I was
"being dumb", not "dumb".  But, now I won't.

> >You said that they were a government entity and didn't have to worry
> >about fiscal restraint, implying thta they did not have to use a cost
> >effective solution because of, presumably, a government subsidy.
>
> It was a guess.

A bad one, as it turns out, what with Telia apparently not being
government owned.

> >Sounds like "wasting money" to me.  Did I misinterpret your statement?

[snip long expanation of the term "cost-effective"]

> Now, this isn't to say that I don't believe that using a mainframe for
> an ISP is ever effective.  It is, indeed, a waste of money.  And that is
> true whether it is a government project or a commercial investment.

So, you _did_ mean to say it was a waste of money after all!  Why are
you arguing the point then?

> >> Wow.  Bob's got a spreadsheet that looks good; let's invest several
> >> hundreds of millions of dollars?
> >
> >A mainframe does not cost a hundred million, or even ten million.
>
> Well, it doesn't cost that to *buy*, maybe, but it definitely costs
> millions and millions (and, yes, hundreds of millions) to use.

Hundreds of millions?  Over the next thirty years maybe.  But that's not
the question.  The question is whether or not that is comparable to the
solution that uses 100 Sun boxes or the one that uses 1000 PC's.  Those
aren't free to operate either.

> >> Flexibility is the word that fits best, in many scenarios of why a
> >> mainframe is not a good choice.
> >
> >Ok, you finally have listed an actual reason.
>
> ...simplistically enough for you to grasp.

Again with the insults.  You know, Max, the fact that very few people
on COLA seem to comprehend your spewings does not necessarily mean that
you are a genius.

Yeah, I know, you never said it and I'm projecting again.

> >I don't know enough about mainframes to argue that they are more or
> >less flexible than the 1U server approach.  [...]

> Jesus Christ.  All this time, and *now* you tell me you don't even know
> what the hell you're talking about?  Give me a BREAK!

How precious.  Max, I'm real sure that YOU don't know either and are
just "presuming" again.  Further, I am not arguing that it /is/ a good
idea, merely that it /might/ be.  You still haven't come up with any
reason other than your own presumptions as to why that's impossible,
which _seems_ to be what you are arguing.

It is hard to tell with you, though, since words don't mean the same to
you as to the rest of us.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:46:57 GMT

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > It's not the change in the appearance of the web site that people find
> > > unacceptable, it's the change in its hyperlinked content.
> >
> > This feature does not do that. Despite what some
> > articles are saying, these SmartTag things are not
> > hyperlinks, not unless you think anything that
> > involves and underline is a hyperlink.
> >

> Are you saying that if you click on these smart tag marks, they WONT
> take to a page that wasnt intended by the autor of the page?

>From the screenshots and descriptions I've seen, it
appears that, indeed, clicking on them won't take
you anywhere.

Instead, you point at the underlined word and
a little icon appears, hovering over the text;
I think you click on this and a separate
pop-up window appears. Within the window,
there are conventional links to various things.

Maybe you just point at it. Not sure about
that.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:09:15 +1200

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> > 4. He is a programmer, and does hold juvenile grudges against OS's,
unlike
> > you. It is only software, no more, no less.  Nice little files with 0's
and
> > 1's placed in a particular order to create something.
>
> Really, that's all it boils down to.  I've experienced problems with
> sudden reboots on my machine with XFree86 in the past with the 3.3.X
> series, and now I'm seeing this problem again with XFree 4.1.0.
> Sometimes, XFree86 can be a pain in the ass.  I don't know what the hey
> the problem is, but wine is provoking some hidden bug in XFree86 that is
> making my machine reboot.  I've also seen several others on the XPert
> mailing list mention about stability problems with XFree86 4.1.0.  But,
> that's why I'm subscribed to several mailing lists, to help track down
> problems like this and squash them.
>
> All software has problems, strengths, and weaknesses, whether it be
> Linux, Microsoft software, or whatever.   The difference is that open
> source software belongs to the people, and it's up to the people, not a
> single company, to fix the problems and develop new ideas for the
> software.

My opinion is this: I don't care if it is opensource, closed source or
tomato sauce, as long as it suits all my needs, and is reliable, stable and
secure, and unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't lived up to its claim.
Personally, Microsoft should just stick to what it knows best, and that is,
the desktop user, and leave the enterprise and small business sector up to
the big boys, atleast they know what they are doing.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:14:01 GMT

"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article
> <%SLU6.71643$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel
> Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
> > You can call it versatile, but you can't pretend that
> > it gives you the control over the final representation
> > that you say MS is trying to take away.
>
> Sure, I can. When I create a web site, part of the final represenation I
> can determine is the hyperlink structure. MS's new browser changes the
> hyperlink structure.

No, not really. Your structure is still there,
same as it ever was.

MS provides other links, but they so do
all browsers. Internet Explorer historically
has always provided the *same* set of
canned links, no matter what you are viewing;
SmartTags are, well, smarter than that.

> > You don't have that. You never did. MS may
> > wish to do so, as they wish to do all other
> > evil things for no reason, but they can't
> > take away what you do not have.
>
> You're creating a straw-man agument that runs like this:
> HTML browsers differ from each other in how they render the
> informationpresented to them by the web server. Therefore the web page
> author has no control over the content of his pages and any changes made
> by the web browser is permitted.

Well, rather I would said that web pages
can't expect to dictate the UI of the web
browser. They've never been able to do that.

> That's stupid!
>
> Web browsers are supposed to faithfully present the *content* of the web
> pages in a layout consistent with the capabilities of the disp;aying
> technology. This new browser, in that it adds links not supplied by the
> web page author, is not faithfulto that original content.

It seems to me that it *is* faithful, or at least
as faithful as web browsers usually are (which
isn't very, as I've pointed out)

[snip]
> > That's a rather odd way to look at it. I believe
> > some people are arguing that it violates Time's
> > *copyright*.
>
> Freedom of the press means the freedom to print what you want to and the
> freedom to not print what you do not want to.

The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one.

You cannot demand that Time print this or that- it's
their press, they print what *they* want to.

And you cannot demand that I display this or
that- it's my computer, it displays what *I*
want to. Even if you do not approve.

> > I'm not sure putting sticky-notes in a copy of
> > Time *does*, especially if it isn't done except
> > by consumer, and only at that consumers individual
> > discresion.
>
> But it's not done by the consumer, it's done "on his behalf" by
> Microsoft's browser.

You were expecting him not to use any tools? Web
page authors do not do it that way, why should
end users have to?

> > I dion't see what the freedom of the press has
> > to do with it. Time can publish copies without
> > sticky-notes no matter what you do, after all.
>
> If I hijack a truckful of Time Magazines on their way to Safeway...
> Yes, some copies of Time Magazine remain that are unaltered, but that
> truckful is changed.

Sure. But it is the hijacking that it wrong, and the
stealing of the magazines- what you do with them
after that is not particularly vile, if we ignore
the theft itself.

MS does not seem to be doing anything analagous
to stealing magazines or hijacking trucks. I think
this analogy does not work.

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XP finally reveals it true colors!!!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:15:36 +1200

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >If you don't like the
> >situation, then simply, don't upgrade, or if you are going to buy a new
> >computer
>
> The problem I can see with this is as follows:
>
> If they can't get you to buy the system on its own merit, as long as you
need
> WinXX binary compatibility, all they need to do is wait until some new
piece of
> hardware doesn't work under the old version, and then you're stuck.  This
did
> happen with Win95-- the version you could buy in the stores (not the OEM
> special unobtainable version) didn't support USB AFAICT, and broke on fast
> K6-series processors (>350MHz), and fixes weren't really offered.

Fixes were actually offered for the K6 chip. Also, why not use a Mac?
compared to a mid range, brand name PeeCee, they are pretty much a tie, and
in terms of applications and OS, how many average users have more than 4
pieces of software at home?  If you are a corp. or small business why not
buy a suite of SUN Blade 100 Desktops loaded with StarOffice and GNOME 2.0
(Once released)?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:18:42 GMT

"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > This feature does not do that. Despite what some
> > articles are saying, these SmartTag things are not
> > hyperlinks, not unless you think anything that
> > involves and underline is a hyperlink.
>
> I'm not concerned with the typographical conventions used to indicate
> hyperlinks. I'm concerned with the addition of new hyperlinks to my
> document.

When you view in IE 5, there are a bunch of new
hyperlinks displayed a the top of the window
(or rather, there can be)

Why is this better than putting them in a
pop-up window, as SmartTags does?

> > OTOH, do you object to BabelFish? It
> > *realy does* change the content of a page-
> > it translates it. That *is* covered by the
> > copyright conventions unambiguously,
> > unlike this stuff.
> >
> > Is BabelFish also evil?
>
> Straw-man argument. Theoretically, the information content of the page
> (its mapping from symbols to real-world objects, actions, and concepts)
> is not altered when it is translated into a different language.

I think that theory quite weak; translation can be
destructive even if done well. What BabelFish
does is more akin to butchery. :D

But in any case, I believe that current copyright
law does require the permission of the copyright
holder to distribute a translation. This seems
to me to be a more clear cut case than
SmartTags.

[snip]
> > Don't they? I observe that some bookstores insert
> > advertisements for themselves in books. Sure, they
> > call them 'bookmarks'... :D
>
> The bookmarks advertise the bookstore where you go the book and are
> recognized by the reader as separate from the book. The links added by
> he MS browser, however, may not be distinguished by the user as being
> added by the browser and not the page author.

>From the screenshots I've seen, they look very distinct- they
are in their own little window, actually.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:21:55 +1200

"Brock Hannibal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> <9fvu1k$skg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >> Wouldn't that depend on what exactly you were teaching them
> >> about it? While I don't shield my son from the fact that
> >> homosexuality exists I don't think I want to teach him that it's
> >> desirable or glamorous. I must admit the homosexual lifestyle
> >> and sexual behaviors are not something that I want my male child
> >> aspiring to. There, afterall, are many consequences of that
> >> choice that might not include the kinds of outcomes I want for
> >> my son. I think at 10 years old as his gender related sexuality
> >> is just emerging, I don't want people preaching the benefits of
> >> homosexuality to him. Just as I prefer not to allow people to
> >> preach their religions to him. I'll handle teaching him about
> >> love, life and religion, the schools can handle teaching him
> >> reading, writing and arithmetic, thank you very much.
> >
> >Lets say, in theory, your son has a pretty normal (well, as normal
> >as you can be) hetrosexual up bringing, and learns to
> >accept/tolerate people with different sexual preferences, and you
> >and your son have an open father-son relationship in which your
> >son can talk to about anything. However, hypothetically, at the
> >age of, say, 17, he comes to you and says, "dad, I'm gay".  What
> >would your response be?
> >
> >Matthew Gardiner
>
> In all truthfulness I can't say I would be happy about it. I'm not
> sure how I would respond, exactly. I wouldn't disinherit him or
> anything like that. I would try to make sure he really knew what all
> the consequences of his choice would be. That's about the best I
> can do in this hypothetical situation.
>
> None of that has anything to do with the schools teaching about
> homosexuality. It's not their role, in my opinion.

Personally, if I had a son, and he came to me and said he was gay, I would
neither be disappointed or proud.  I would be happy that he was able to
"come out" as so to speak, and that he was willing to talk about any issues
he may have. I would give him the same advice as as I would give a
hetrosexual son, be careful, use contraception, remember that if you need
support, that I (as a father) will always be there.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:23:40 +1200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:43:15 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Why is it sick? How is homosexuality evil? how does it affect you?
> >
> >If you son or daughter committed suicide, and left the note, along the
lines
> >that she/he could no longer hide his sexuality from you, and feared what
> >would happen if you knew he/she was gay. What would your reaction be?
>
> He probably wouldn't have any sympathy upon finding out their were
> queer. And neither would Kulkis. He would burn the note and hope
> no-one else found out, and blame it on communists or something.

That sounds about right, and you remembered that he (Aaron and Flatfish),
would blame it on a huge conspiracy theory.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:35:43 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Strange, it's very easy.
> > > Okay, here is how do to it:
> > >
> > > cacls *.* /t /p Everyone:W
> > >
> > > This should turn all the files (and all sub directirues) to write only.
> >
> > Ok, but some people do need to read them via a share, so what we'd
> > really want to do is make it write-only to the anonymous ftp user and
> > readable to everyone else.  Coupled with the anonymous ftp user ID that
> > you posted further in the thread, I think I see how to do this.  Thanks.
>
> I apologize for coming into the middle of this, but NT/2K has the concept
> of explicit deny, which means you can grant permissions to a large group
> of users (who may include users you do not wish to have that permisson),
> and exclude explicit users.
>
> So you could do Everyone:RW and then exclude IUSR_machine, but in general,
> you should be working with the Users or Domain Users group or some other
> group you've created which represents trusted users in your system.
>
> -c

Sounds pretty much the same as Solaris ACLs.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:36:57 -0700

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> T. Max Devlin wrote:
> >
> > It is a question of suitability.  Perhaps theoretically a DVD is a
> > suitable replacement for a CD of either type.  But in the real world,
> > one is not a good substitute for the other.  Your original point,
> > concerning only DVDs, has already been entirely lost.  You should admit
> > your mistake and move on.
> >
> What are you ranting about?
> A DVD is quite good as a replacement for a CD, as it is able to read
> the CD´s also. Have you ever by accident seen a SuSE 7? It consists
> of 7 CD´s and 1 DVD, which holds the contents of the 7 CD´s.
> Its just conveniant to pop in only the DVD and be done with it instead of
> shuffling the CD´s when you install.
> But who would expect TMax (who uses Windows) to know about that.
> For him it´s certainly sufficient to ramble about it out of ignorance.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
> the day they start making vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

If you use a DVD to install an O/S it will be slower than a current
CD-ROM.

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:37:19 +1200

"Rene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:pwTU6.38562$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> 1.- Is Linux (kernel) programmed on C or C++?
> 2.- Is GNOME programmed on C or C++?
>

> Is this the wrong place to post this question? Sorry I apologize, could
you
> please be so kind to point me to the right news group?

Linux is written in C, like all UNIX's, GNOME, I am not too sure, however, I
do know KDE is written in C++, as they donot require the same low level
access as an OS kernel requires.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sack of shit -c
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:37:55 +1200

I wouldn't call him a sack of shit, just a lost cause.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to steve chaney's bum
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:42:13 +1200

Rather humorous coming from a person who doesn't even have the guts to
directly email from their computer.  Oh, and by the way, I know who you
really are, I know where you live, and I know you troubled past.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:48:55 -0700

Greg Cox wrote:

> In article <9fvfkm$4hp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, don'[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> > "Greg Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Hey, I survived 18 years there with -most- of my sanity intact, but I
> > > was REALLY burned out...
> >
> > I'm sure you've heard and seen other companies treatment to programmers, how
> > do they threat them relative to Microsoft?
> > I'm asking because I'm interested, btw.
> >

> I haven't really heard that much about other company's treatment of
> developers, and Microsoft is the only company I have worked at as a
> developer, so all I can honestly talk about is what I observed there.
>
> Microsoft is a high-energy company that's always pushing to ship the
> next release.  There used to be an underlying current of playing going
> on most of the time but it seems to me that over the years that kind of
> fell by the wayside and all that was left was the challenge to produce.
> I still remember fondly the every-Friday evening golf tournament through
> the halls of one of the buildings (Bldg 2?).  People with offices in
> that building would create obsticles for the golf balls in the hallways
> the participants would have to maneuver around.
>
> Anyway, the pay was so-so but in the end, the stock options more than
> made up for that (I walked away with enough money to retire comfortably
> at the ripe age of 45).  The pressure is high and there are a lot of
> people that just can't handle it over the long run.  Five years seems to
> be a major milestone.  Unfortunately, I have the impression this level
> of pressure to perform is pretty much standard throughout the industry.
> I really love to program but there is no way I'd ever be willing to put
> myself back in that pressure cooker ever again.
>
> There is a management statement that "We only hire the very best
> people."  And it's really a true statement.  Unfortunately, when it
> comes time for reviews, management hires an outside company to do salary
> surveys across the industry, and very carefully pays around the industry
> average.  At least they -say- they're paying the industry average.  I
> left just before the big stock market stumble but I understand Microsoft
> has had to significantly raise salaries to offset the loss of value of
> the stock options.
>
> Departments at Microsoft tend to be fairly independent things and can
> have their own subculture develop beneath the generic "Microsoft
> culture".  In other words, your mileage may vary, and my experiences may
> or may not be the norm across the company.
>
> So, in conclusion, I feel that Microsoft is a high energy, high pressure
> company to work for, but, in the end, the financial rewards can be
> significant (I know of many Microsoft alumni that have gone on to found
> their own companies. I presume the seed money came from cashing out
> their stock options.).
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Same thing happened to me ... burned out.  The real stresser was having
to go back to D.C. and answer questions to some congressional defense
committee.  One of my cohorts that went along to D.C. suffered from a
heart attack worrying over cost over-runs and he was only 41.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:59:07 GMT

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> How many people feel the -c man is a sack
> of shit?
>
> Sound OFF!
>
> --
> Charlie
> -------

Who is -c?

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,comp.os.
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:59:02 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:08:17 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Yeah, GIMP has a very long way to catch up. It only works if you've
> >> got GNOME installed anyway.
> >
> >Gimp works for me and I don't have Gnome.
>
> When I try and run it it asks for various gnome packages.

You may have to goto the gimp.org and look at some posted FAQs.
I'm running Solaris 8 x86 with the CDE as a window manager.