Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> computer via firewire.  This alone makes it pointless to do processing in
> the I/O box.

I think it should be only remote controlled system where actual data flow
doesn't go through the host computer.

Modular system with it's own bus. Something like VME & RACEway.
The bus could be firewire.

I'd like to be able to do beamforming for N inputs in DSP and feed that beam
output to the PC.

> Yup, but I would put those in a separate farm, not in the I/O.  The
> question there becomes how efficient can you make a mass of them globbed
> together ;-)

There are many nice single, dual and quad TI FP-DSP boards available at
market. Usually with 256 kB - 2 MB of SRAM memory.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers