On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 18:19:38 Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I upgraded my server from 3.14 to 3.15.1 last week, and since then it's been
> running out of memory and deadlocking (panic= doesn't even work).
> I downgraded back to 3.14, but I already had the problem once since then.

Is there any correlation between such problems and BTRFS operations such as
creating snapshots or running a scrub/balance?

Back in ~3.10 days I had serious problems with BTRFS memory use when removing
multiple snapshots or balancing.  But at about 3.13 they all seemed to get
fixed.

I usually didn't have a kernel panic when I had such problems (although I
sometimes had a system lock up solid such that I couldn't even determine what
it's problem was).  Usually the Oom handler started killing big processes such
as chromium when it shouldn't have needed to.

Note that I haven't verified that the BTRFS memory use is reasonable in all
such situations.  Merely that it doesn't use enough to kill my systems.