On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 07:43:18AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 09:47:09AM -0400, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> > On 2014-07-03 9:19 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > >I upgraded my server from 3.14 to 3.15.1 last week, and since then it's
> > >been
> > >running out of memory and deadlocking (panic= doesn't even work).
> > >I downgraded back to 3.14, but I already had the problem once since then.
> >
> > I didn't see any mention of the btrfs utility version in this thread
> > (I may be blind though).
> >
> > My server was suffering from frequent panics upon scrub / defrag /
> > balance, until I updated the btrfs utility.  That resolved all my
> > issues.
>
> Really? The userland tool should only send ioctls to the kernel, I
> really can't see how it would cause the kernel code to panic or not.
>
> gargamel:~# btrfs --version
> Btrfs v3.14.1
> which is the latest in debian unstable.
>
> As an update, after 1.7 days of scrubbing, the system has started
> getting sluggish, I'm getting synchronization problems/crashes in some of
> my tools that talk to serial ports (likely due to mini deadlocks in the
> kernel), and I'm now getting a few btrfs hangs.

Predictably, it died yesterday afternoon after going into memory death
(it was answering pings, but userspace was dead, and even sysrq-o did
not respond, I had to power cycle the power outlet).

This happened just before my 3rd scrub finished, so I'm now 2 out of 2:
running scrub on my 3 filesystems kills the system half way through the
3rd scrub.

This is the last memory log that reached the disk:
http://marc.merlins.org/tmp/btrfs-oom2.txt

Do those logs point to any possible culprit, or a kernel memory leak
cannot be pointed to its source because the kernel loses track of who
requested the memory that leaked?

Excerpt here:
Sat Jul  5 14:25:04 PDT 2014
Mem:       7894792    7712384     182408          0         28     227480
-/+ buffers/cache:    7484876     409916
Swap:     15616764     463732   15153032

Userspace is using 345MB according to ps

Sat Jul  5 14:25:04 PDT 2014
MemTotal:        7894792 kB
MemFree:          184556 kB
MemAvailable:     269568 kB