On 2014-07-05 10:43 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
On 2014-07-03 9:19 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
I upgraded my server from 3.14 to 3.15.1 last week, and since then it's been
running out of memory and deadlocking (panic= doesn't even work).
I downgraded back to 3.14, but I already had the problem once since then.

I didn't see any mention of the btrfs utility version in this thread
(I may be blind though).

My server was suffering from frequent panics upon scrub / defrag /
balance, until I updated the btrfs utility.  That resolved all my
issues.

Really? The userland tool should only send ioctls to the kernel, I
really can't see how it would cause the kernel code to panic or not.

gargamel:~# btrfs --version
Btrfs v3.14.1
which is the latest in debian unstable.

It reached the point that I got so frustrated that I built the
utilities from git, as an up-to-date package wasn't available at the
time.  I'm currently using v3.14.2 but v3.14.1 was the version that
resolved my server's panics.

I've not looked into the code very deeply yet, so I can't theorize on
why it resolved my server's panics.  I can only state with complete
certainty that it did.  I too was somewhat surprised.

However, it seems we've probably now ruled it out in your case.

~~
Andrew E. Mileski