On 07/21/2014 10:00 PM, TM wrote:
Wang Shilong <wangsl.fnst <at> cn.fujitsu.com> writes:

Just my two cents:

Since 'btrfs replace' support RADI10, I suppose using replace
operation is better than 'device removal and add'.

Another Question is related to btrfs snapshot-aware balance.
How many snapshots did you have in your system?

Of course, During balance/resize/device removal operations,
you could still snapshot, but fewer snapshots should speed things up!

Anyway 'btrfs replace' is implemented more effective than
'device remova and add'.

Hi Wang,
just one subvolume, no snaphots or anything else.

device replace: to tell you the truth I have not used it in the past. Most
of my testing was done 2 years ago. So in this 'kind of production' system I
did not try it. But if I knew that it was faster, perhaps I could have used
it. Anyone has statistics for such a replace and the time it takes?
I don't have specific statistics about this. The conclusion come from
implementation differences between replace and 'device removal'.

Also, can replace be used when one device is missing? Cant find
documentation. eg.
btrfs replace start missing /dev/sdXX
The latest btrfs-progs include man page of btrfs-replace. Actually, you could use it
something like:

You could use 'btrfs file show' to see missing device id. and then run btrfs replace.

Thanks,
Wang

TM