Stefan Behrens <sbehrens <at> giantdisaster.de> writes:

> TM, Just read the man-page. You could have used the replace tool after
> physically removing the failing device.
>
> Quoting the man page:
> "If the source device is not available anymore, or if the -r option is
> set, the data is built only using the RAID redundancy mechanisms.

> -r   only read from <srcdev> if no other zero-defect mirror
>      exists (enable this if your drive has lots of read errors,
>      the access would be very slow)"
>
> Concerning the rebuild performance, the access to the disk is linear for
> both reading and writing, I measured above 75 MByte/s at that time with
> regular 7200 RPM disks, which would be less than 10 hours to replace a
> 3TB disk (in worst case, if it is completely filled up).
> Unused/unallocated areas are skipped and additionally improve the
> rebuild speed.
>
> For missing disks, unfortunately the command invocation is not using the
> term "missing" but the numerical device-id instead of the device name.
> "missing" _is_ implemented in the kernel part of the replace code, but
> was simply forgotten in the user mode part, at least it was forgotten in
> the man page.

Hi Stefan,
thank you very much, for the comprehensive info, I will opt to use replace
next time.

Breaking news :-)
from Jul 19 14:41:36 microserver kernel: [ 1134.244007] btrfs: relocating
block group 8974430633984 flags 68
to  Jul 22 16:54:54 microserver kernel: [268419.463433] btrfs: relocating
block group 2991474081792 flags 65

Rebuild ended before counting down to 00000000
So flight time was 3 days, and I see no more messages or btrfs processes
utilizing cpu. So rebuild seams ready.
Just a few hours ago another disk showed some earlly touble accumulating
Current_Pending_Sector but no Reallocated_Sector_Ct yet.

TM