Wang Shilong <wangsl.fnst <at> cn.fujitsu.com> writes:

> The latest btrfs-progs include man page of btrfs-replace. Actually, you
> could use it
> something like:

> You could use 'btrfs file show' to see missing device id. and then run
> btrfs replace.

Hi Wang,

  I physically removed the drive before the rebuild, having a failing device
as a source is not a good idea anyway.
  Without the device in place, the device name is not showing up, since the
missing device is not under /dev/sdXX or anything else.

  That is why I asked if the special parameter 'missing' may be used in a
replace. I can't say if it is supported. But I guess not, since I found no
documentation on this matter.

  So I guess replace is not aimed at fault tolerance / rebuilding. It's just
a convenient way to lets lay replace the disks with larger disks , to extend
your array. A convenience tool, not an emergency tool.

TM