For anyone else having this problem, this article is fairly useful for
understanding disk full problems and rebalance:

http://marc.merlins.org/perso/btrfs/post_2014-05-04_Fixing-Btrfs-Filesystem-Full-Problems.html

It actually covers the problem that I had, which is that a rebalance
can't take place because it is full.

I still am unsure what is really wrong with this whole situation. Is
it that I wasn't careful to do a rebalance when I should have been
doing? Is it that BTRFS doesn't do a rebalance automatically when it
could in principle?

It's pretty bad to end up in a situation (with spare space) where the
only way out is to add more storage, which may be impractical,
difficult or expensive.

The other thing that I still don't understand I've seen repeated in a
few places, from the above article:

"because the filesystem is only 55% full, I can ask balance to rewrite
all chunks that are more than 55% full"

Then he uses `btrfs balance start -dusage=55 /mnt/btrfs_pool1`. I
don't understand the relationship between "the FS is 55% full" and
"chunks more than 55% full". What's going on here?

I conclude that now since I have added more storage, the rebalance
won't fail and if I keep rebalancing from a cron job I won't hit this
problem again (unless the filesystem fills up very fast! what then?).
I don't know however what value to assign to `-dusage` in general for
the cron rebalance. Any hints?