Hello,

    Looking at the btrfs fi show output, you've probably run out of
space during the conversion, probably due to an uneven distribution of
the original "single" chunks.

    I think I would suggest balancing the single chunks, and trying the
conversion (of the unconverted parts) again:

# btrfs balance start -dprofiles=single -mprofile=raid1 /mnt/new_storage/
# btrfs balance start -dconvert=raid5,soft -mconvert=raid5,soft
/mnt/new_storage/

Yep I bet that's it also. btrfs fi usage might be better at exposing this case.

Thanks for your hints.
The balance is running now for about 11h:
The status is a bit surprising to me:
0 out of about 2619 chunks balanced (4165 considered), 100% left

btrfs fi usage is also surprising:
Overall:
    Device size:                   8.19TiB
    Device allocated:              2.56TiB
    Device unallocated:            5.62TiB
    Device missing:                  0.00B
    Used:                          2.56TiB
    Free (estimated):             11.65TiB      (min: 2.81TiB)
    Data ratio:                       0.48
    Metadata ratio:                   1.33
    Global reserve:              512.00MiB      (used: 0.00B)

Data,single: Size:2.55TiB, Used:2.55TiB
   /dev/sdc        1.60TiB
   /dev/sde      975.44GiB

Data,RAID5: Size:2.73TiB, Used:2.72TiB
   /dev/sdc        1.12TiB
   /dev/sdd        2.73TiB
   /dev/sde        1.61TiB

Metadata,RAID1: Size:6.00GiB, Used:5.33GiB
   /dev/sdc        5.00GiB
   /dev/sdd        1.00GiB
   /dev/sde        6.00GiB

Metadata,RAID5: Size:3.00GiB, Used:2.99GiB
   /dev/sdc        2.00GiB
   /dev/sdd        1.00GiB
   /dev/sde        3.00GiB

System,RAID5: Size:32.00MiB, Used:736.00KiB
   /dev/sdd       32.00MiB
   /dev/sde       32.00MiB

Unallocated:
   /dev/sdc        1.02MiB
   /dev/sdd        1.02MiB
   /dev/sde      164.59GiB

I hope, that is because Raid5 is not implemented yet?

Regards,
Hendrik

---