On 2015-11-19 13:28, Hugo Mills wrote:
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 06:35:24PM +0100, linux-btrfs.tebu...@xoxy.net wrote:
Will newer kernels do the balance on their own?

    I think it's on the "projects" list on the wiki, so it may get done
eventually. As I said above, I'm not aware of anyone working on it.
TBH, while it would be a nice feature, it's also something that has the potential to cause issues for people if it all happens at once. IN many of the cases I've seen, the usual issue is lots of mostly empty data chunks (usually less than 20% in the two times I've run into this myself). Based on this, having something in the kernel that could scan chunk usage every now and then, and repack mostly empty chunks if there is space already allocated in existing chunks, would probably significantly reduce the chances of this happening for most people, and cause much less noticeable performance degradation than triggering a full balance on a chunk allocation failure. Since I started using a cron job to do a daily balance of chunks less than 20% full, and a weekly one for chunks less than 50% full, I've not run into these issues at all, and actually see on average better performance on my tradition hard disks.