On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 01:23:59AM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> 2) Why does notdatacow imply nodatasum and can that ever be decoupled?

   Answering the second part first, no, it can't.

   The issue is that nodatacow bypasses the transactional nature of
the FS, making changes to live data immediately. This then means that
if you modify a modatacow file, the csum for that modified section is
out of date, and won't be back in sync again until the latest
transaction is committed. So you can end up with an inconsistent
filesystem if there's a crash between the two events.

> For me the checksumming is actually the most important part of btrfs
> (not that I wouldn't like its other features as well)... so turning it
> off is something I really would want to avoid.
>
> Plus it opens questions like: When there are no checksums, how can it
> (in the RAID cases) decide which block is the good one in case of
> corruptions?

   It doesn't decide -- both copies look equally good, because there's
no checksum, so if you read the data, the FS will return whatever data
was on the copy it happened to pick.

> 3) When I would actually disable datacow for e.g. a subvolume that
> holds VMs or DBs... what are all the implications?
> Obviously no checksumming, but what happens if I snapshot such a
> subvolume or if I send/receive it?

   After snapshotting, modifications are CoWed precisely once, and
then it reverts to nodatacow again. This means that making a snapshot
of a nodatacow object will cause it to fragment as writes are made to
it.

> I'd expect that then some kind of CoW needs to take place or does that
> simply not work?
>

> 4) Duncan mentioned that defrag (and I guess that's also for auto-
> defrag) isn't ref-link aware...
> Isn't that somehow a complete showstopper?

   It is, but the one attempt at dealing with it caused massive data
corruption, and it was turned off again. autodefrag, however, has
always been snapshot aware and snapshot safe, and would be the
recommended approach here. (Actually, it was broken in the same
incident I just described -- but fixed again when the broken patches
were reverted).

> As soon as one uses snapshot, and would defrag or auto defrag any of
> them, space usage would just explode, perhaps to the extent of ENOSPC,
> and rendering the fs effectively useless.
>
> That sounds to me like, either I can't use ref-links, which are crucial
> not only to snapshots but every file I copy with cp --reflink auto ...
> or I can't defrag... which however will sooner or later cause quite
> some fragmentation issues on btrfs?
>

> 5) Especially keeping (4) in mind but also the other comments in from
> Duncan and Austin...
> Is auto-defrag now recommended to be generally used?

   Absolutely, yes.

   It's late for me, and this email was longer than I suspected, so
I'm going to stop here, but I'll try to pick it up again and answer
your other questions tomorrow.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | "There's more than one way to do it" is not a
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | commandment. It is a dire warning.