Christoph Anton Mitterer posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 03:46:01 +0100 as
excerpted:

>> Same here.  In fact, my most anticipated feature is N-way-mirroring,
> Hmm ... not totally sure about that...
> AFAIU, N-way-mirroring is what currently the currently wrongly called
> RAID1 is in btrfs, i.e. having N replicas of everything on M devices,
> right?
> In other words, not being a N-parity-RAID and not guaranteeing that
> *any* N disks could fail, right?

No.  N-way-mirroring, at least in simplest form (as in md/raid1) is N
replicas on N devices, so loss of N-1 devices is permitted without loss
of data.

Normally the best thing about this is that unlike parity, once the
general support is in, you can increase redundancy at will, with
guaranteed device-loss protection of as many devices as you care to
insure against.

At one point with somewhat old devices that I didn't particularly trust
any more and because I had them from a previous raid6 setup, I was
running 4-way-md/raid1.

Of course with md/raid1, the problem is lack of any sort of data
integrity assurance, even scrubbing just arbitrarily chooses one and in
the case of difference, simply copies that to the others, not even
plurality-vote most authoritative version.

With btrfs checksumming, the value of N-way-mirroring is increased
dramatically, since it allows individual block verification and fallback,
as opposed to whole-device-loss.

While my own sweet-spot balance will tend to be three-way, avoiding the
"if one copy is bad (perhaps because of a device that's known failing/
failed), you better /hope/ your only remaining copy is good" problem of
the present two-way-only solution, I could easily see people finding
value in 4/5/6-way mirroring as well.

And of course if that is extended to raid10, three-way-mirroring, two-way-
striping, on six total devices, would be my preferred, over the three-way-
striped, two-way-mirrored, that's the only current choice for six-device
btrfs raid10.