On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-08-01 12:19, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
>> <ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> MD and DM RAID handle this by starting kernel threads to do the scrub.
>>> They
>>> then store the info about the scrub in the array itself, so you can query
>>> it
>>> externally.  If you watch, neither of those commands runs longer than it
>>> takes to start the operation, so there's nothing for systemd to kill.
>>

>> pvmove continues to run and report progress so it can be killed off,
>> but it only polls for statistics, it's not actually recording them. So
>> even though it gets killed, subsequent pvmove command shows correct
>> statistics.
>
> Because all that the pvmove command is doing is polling for statistics. It
> actually works kind of like a scrub, all the actual work is done in the
> kernel, the userspace component just handles reporting.  The difference is
> that the move operation is accounted and mutexed in the kernel itself,
> instead of userspace like scrub does.  This model is actually essentially
> what I think scrub (and balance for that matter) should look like, and if
> implemented right, we could actually store scrub results in the FS itself
> (that is, in the metadata, not in special files or anything like that).
>>

>> So that makes me wonder how btrfs device add and remove will behave,
>> if issued in a DE which is then logged out of. Those commands do not
>> return to prompt until they complete.
>
> They work via balance, so they should behave the same as a balance command,
> which means it will likely run part way then get cancelled because of the
> SIGTERM to the userspace component (assuming of course that it is still
> running when you log out).

I've been using balance with &, and when I logout, the btrfs command
continues to flip between status D and R, just like before logout and
it appears to complete. I still get status messages of the balance
after logout, in kernel messages.

--
Chris Murphy