On 2016-08-15 08:19, Martin wrote:
The smallest disk of the 122 is 500GB. Is it possible to have btrfs
see each disk as only e.g. 10GB? That way I can corrupt and resilver
more disks over a month.

Well, at least you can easily partition the devices for that to happen.

Can it be done with btrfs or should I do it with gdisk?
With gdisk. BTRFS includes some volume management features, but it doesn't handle partitioning itself.

However, I would also suggest that would it be more useful use of the
resource to run many arrays in parallel? Ie. one 6-device raid6, one
20-device raid6, and then perhaps use the rest of the devices for a very
large btrfs filesystem? Or if you have been using partitioning the large
btrfs volume can also be composed of all the 122 devices; in fact you
could even run multiple 122-device raid6s and use different kind of
testing on each. For performance testing you might only excert one of
the file systems at a time, though.

Very interesting idea, which leads me to the following question:

For the past weeks have I had all 122 disks in one raid6 filesystem,
and since I didn't entered any vdev (zfs term) size, I suspect only 2
of the 122 disks are parity.

If, how can I make the filesystem, so for every 6 disks, 2 of them are parity?

Reading the mkfs.btrfs man page gives me the impression that it can't
be done, which I find hard to believe.
That really is the case, there's currently no way to do this with BTRFS. You have to keep in mind that the raid5/6 code only went into the mainline kernel a few versions ago, and it's still pretty immature as far as kernel code goes. I don't know when (if ever) such a feature might get put in, but it's definitely something to add to the list of things that would be nice to have.

For the moment, the only option to achieve something like this is to set up a bunch of separate 8 device filesystems, but I would be willing to bet that the way you have it configured right now is closer to what most people would be doing in a regular deployment, and therefore is probably more valuable for testing.