Am Donnerstag, 15. September 2016, 07:55:36 CEST schrieb Kai Krakow:
> Am Mon, 12 Sep 2016 08:20:20 -0400
>
> schrieb "Austin S. Hemmelgarn" <ahferro...@gmail.com>:
> >  [...]
> >  [...]
> >  [...]
> >  [...]
> > >>
> > >    Given that nobody else has done it yet, what are the odds that
> > >
> > > someone else will step up to do it now? I would say that you should
> > > at least try. Yes, you don't have as much knowledge as some others,
> > > but if you keep working at it, you'll gain that knowledge. Yes,
> > > you'll probably get it wrong to start with, but you probably won't
> > > get it *very* wrong. You'll probably get it horribly wrong at some
> > > point, but even the more knowledgable people you're deferring to
> > > didn't identify the problems with parity RAID until Zygo and Austin
> > > and Chris (and others) put in the work to pin down the exact
> > > issues.
> >
> > FWIW, here's a list of what I personally consider stable (as in, I'm
> > willing to bet against reduced uptime to use this stuff on production
> > systems at work and personal systems at home):
> > 1. Single device mode, including DUP data profiles on single device
> > without mixed-bg.
> > 2. Multi-device raid0, raid1, and raid10 profiles with symmetrical
> > devices (all devices are the same size).
> > 3. Multi-device single profiles with asymmetrical devices.
> > 4. Small numbers (max double digit) of snapshots, taken at infrequent
> > intervals (no more than once an hour).  I use single snapshots
> > regularly to get stable images of the filesystem for backups, and I
> > keep hourly ones of my home directory for about 48 hours.
> > 5. Subvolumes used to isolate parts of a filesystem from snapshots.
> > I use this regularly to isolate areas of my filesystems from backups.
> > 6. Non-incremental send/receive (no clone source, no parent's, no
> > deduplication).  I use this regularly for cloning virtual machines.
> > 7. Checksumming and scrubs using any of the profiles I've listed
> > above. 8. Defragmentation, including autodefrag.
> > 9. All of the compat_features, including no-holes and skinny-metadata.
> >
> > Things I consider stable enough that I'm willing to use them on my
> > personal systems but not systems at work:
> > 1. In-line data compression with compress=lzo.  I use this on my
> > laptop and home server system.  I've never had any issues with it
> > myself, but I know that other people have, and it does seem to make
> > other things more likely to have issues.
> > 2. Batch deduplication.  I only use this on the back-end filesystems
> > for my personal storage cluster, and only because I have multiple
> > copies as a result of GlusterFS on top of BTRFS.  I've not had any
> > significant issues with it, and I don't remember any reports of data
> > loss resulting from it, but it's something that people should not be
> > using if they don't understand all the implications.
>
> I could at least add one "don't do it":
>
> Don't use BFQ patches (it's an IO scheduler) if you're using btrfs.
> [...]

This could be a further row in the table. And well…

as for CFQ Jens Axboe currently works on bandwidth throttling patches
*exactly* for the reason to provide more interactivity and fairness to I/O
operations in between.

Right now, Completely Fair in CFQ is a *huge* exaggeration, at least while you
have a dd bs=1M thing running.

Thanks,
--
Martin