On 08/02/2017 01:25 PM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
And this is a worst-case result of the fact that most
distros added BTRFS support long before it was ready.

RedHat still advertises "Ceph", and given Ceph initially recommended btrfs as
the filesystem to use for its nodes, it is interesting to read how clearly
they recommend against btrfs now:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/filesystem-recommendations/
We recommand against using btrfs due to the lack of a stable version
to test against and frequent bugs in the ENOSPC handling.

German IT magazine "Golem" speculates that RedHat's decision
is influenced by its recent acquisition of Permabit.

But I don't really see how XFS or Permabit tackle the problem
that if you need to create consistent backups of file systems while they are
in use, block-device level snapshots damage the write performance
big time.

(That backup topic is the one reason we use btrfs for a lot of
/home/ directories.)

I understand that XFS is expected to get some COW-features in the future
as well - but it remains to be seen what performance and robustness
implications that will have on XFS.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg