On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Brendan Hide <bren...@swiftspirit.co.za> wrote:
> The title seems alarmist to me - and I suspect it is going to be
> misconstrued. :-/

Josef pushed bak on the HN thread with very sound reasoning about why
this is totally unsurprising. RHEL runs old kernels, and they have no
upstream Btrfs developers. So it's a huge PITA to backport the tons of
changes Btrfs has been going through (thousands of line changes per
kernel cycle).

What's more interesting to me is whether this means
-  CONFIG_BTRFS_FS=m
+  # CONFIG_BTRFS_FS is not set

In particular in elrepo.org kernels.

Also more interesting is this Stratis project that started up a few months ago:

https://github.com/stratis-storage/stratisd

Which also includes this design document:
https://stratis-storage.github.io/StratisSoftwareDesign.pdf

Basically they're creating a file system manager manifesting as a
daemon, new CLI tools, and new metadata formats for the volume
manager. So it's going to use existing device mapper, md, some LVM
stuff, XFS, in a layered approach abstracted from the user.

--
Chris Murphy