On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:47 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I don't think I've ever seen any patches posted from a Red Hat address
> on the ML, so I don't think they were really all that involved in
> development to begin with.

Unfortunately the email domain doesn't tell the whole story who's
backing development, the company or the individual.

[chris@f26s linux]$ git log --since=”2016-01-01” --pretty=format:"%an
%ae" --no-merges -- fs/btrfs | sort -u | grep redhat
Andreas Gruenbacher agrue...@redhat.com
David Howells dhowe...@redhat.com
Eric Sandeen sand...@redhat.com
Jeff Layton jlay...@redhat.com
Mike Christie mchri...@redhat.com
Miklos Szeredi mszer...@redhat.com
$

> GFS and GlusterFS are different technologies, unless Red Hat's marketing
> department is trying to be actively deceptive.

https://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/storage

Seems very clear. I don't even see GFS or GFS2 on here. It's Gluster and Ceph.

> SUSE is also pretty actively involved in the development too, and I think
> Fujitsu is as well.

>> I'm not too worried.  I'll keep using btrfs as it is now, within the
>> limits of what it can consistently do, and do what I can to help
>> support the effort.  I'm not a file system coder, but I very much
>> appreciate the enormous amount of work that goes into btrfs.
>>
>> Steady on, ButterFS people.  Back now to cat videos.
>
> --

Big bunch of SUSE contributions (yes David Sterba is counted three
times here), and Fujitsu.

[chris@f26s linux]$ git log --since=”2016-01-01” --pretty=format:"%an
%ae" --no-merges -- fs/btrfs | sort -u | grep suse
Borislav Petkov b...@suse.de
David Sterba dste...@suse.com
David Sterba dste...@suse.com
David Sterba dste...@suse.cz
Edmund Nadolski enadol...@suse.com
Filipe Manana fdman...@suse.com
Goldwyn Rodrigues rgold...@suse.com
Guoqing Jiang gqji...@suse.com
Jan Kara j...@suse.cz
Jeff Mahoney je...@suse.com
Jiri Kosina jkos...@suse.cz
Mark Fasheh mfas...@suse.de
Michal Hocko mho...@suse.com
NeilBrown ne...@suse.com
Nikolay Borisov nbori...@suse.com
Petr Mladek pmla...@suse.com

[chris@f26s linux]$ git log --since=”2016-01-01” --pretty=format:"%an
%ae" --no-merges -- fs/btrfs | sort -u | grep fujitsu
Lu Fengqi lufq.f...@cn.fujitsu.com
Qu Wenruo quwen...@cn.fujitsu.com
Satoru Takeuchi takeuchi_sat...@jp.fujitsu.com
Su Yue suy.f...@cn.fujitsu.com
Tsutomu Itoh t-i...@jp.fujitsu.com
Wang Xiaoguang wangxg.f...@cn.fujitsu.com
Xiaoguang Wang wangxg.f...@cn.fujitsu.com
Zhao Lei zhao...@cn.fujitsu.com

Over the past 18 months, it's about 100 Btrfs contributors, 71 ext4,
63 XFS. So all three have many contributors. That of course does not
tell the whole story by any means.

--
Chris Murphy