On 2017-08-16 09:12, Chris Mason wrote:
My real goal is to make COW fast enough that we can leave it on for the database applications too. Obviously I haven't quite finished that one yet ;) But I'd rather keep the building block of all the other btrfs features in place than try to do crcs differently.
In general, the performance issue isn't because of the time it takes to CoW the blocks, it's because of the fragmentation it introduces. That fragmentation could in theory be mitigated by making CoW happen at a larger chunk size, but that would push the issue more towards being one of CoW performance, not fragmentation.