In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Bjorn Wesen writes:
: you can forget memory protection, but multitasking has nothing to do with
: MM so that is no problem. the problem is how to implement the unix
: semantics of fork(), and other MM tricks like demand loading and sharing
: of text/data that support the multitasking model.

mmap becomes nearly impossible as well, which eliminates shared
libraries (or at least the sharing that libraries do when shared).

: linux itself works fine without MM (since the kernel is mostly linearly
: mapped anyway) but fork() can only make a new thread, not a new MM, so the
: child will share data with the parent. you need to take this into
: consideration when writing applications for uclinux (and other MMU-less
: linuxes) as well as that there are limitations in the MM API (mmap et al)

Yes.  Exec also becomes interesting...

I did try to get NetBSD running on a Vr4650 once, but with only base
and bounds I gave up as producing a system that was too un-unix-like
to be useful.

Warner