On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Donald Jeff Dionne wrote:
> it could in short order (just a day).  The real reason I've not
> bothered is I'm not sure it's a huge win.  uClinux libc is 200k+
> and growing.  All the binaries for a normal complete uClinux are
> less than that in total.  Perhaps there is a lot of wasted space in

we use glibc, which is enormous. well, it's about 1.3 MB stripped. a
statically linked application grows from 8 kb to 120 kb for example, so
sharing is really important. glibc is (supposedly) multithread safe, so
it's possible to let different processes run as threads inside glibc.

is the uClinux libc complete, in the sense that normal linux programs on
the net compile cleanly on it ? i've always felt that glibc is really
bloated, but since there is no maintenance anymore for the older libc's..

it would be interesting to see some figures on the program / libc
partitioning for the statically linked executables you put in a typical
uclinux system. like, sash alone is 70 kb program + 400 kb library code :)

-bjorn