Hello Jeff,

Donald Jeff Dionne wrote:

> The second approach is relocation, and using a Global Offset Table is a
> way to localize the relocation to a smaller piece of memory.  With full
> relocation, you can't share anything, with a GOT you can still share
> .text.  The GOT also gives you shared libs.  The m68k port of uClinux
> will likely go this way, it's easier on the compiler (smaller patches)
> then the current PIC method, slower (1 extra longword access almost
> all the time) but on 68k removes a nasty 16 bit offset limit.  Using
> a GOT on 68k will also elimiate any changes for the ColdFire port as
> well, BTW.

Do you plan to remove PIC support from m68k port then? Frankly speaking,
I would like to see both methods available. My current board has 2MB of
FLASH and 2MB of DRAM only, and the useful application code will just
fit
there. You should remember that in consumer electronics

             bill_of_material <= price <= bill_of_material * 4;

Thus, even $5 more of components make quite a difference on the final
price of the device.

I would really like the "relocation type" to be include in the file
header so that both approaches could be supported in the future.

Regards,
Vladimir
--
                   |     :|:        :|:     | phone         408-525-9707
Vladimir Gurevich  |    :|||:      :|||:    | fax           408-527-1713
Software Engineer  | .:|||||||:..:|||||||:. |
    NUBU/DIAL      |      CiscoSystems      | e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   |  http://www.cisco.com  |