> Hello Jeff,
Hey :-)

> > all the time) but on 68k removes a nasty 16 bit offset limit.  Using
> > a GOT on 68k will also elimiate any changes for the ColdFire port as
> > well, BTW.
>
> Do you plan to remove PIC support from m68k port then? Frankly speaking,
> I would like to see both methods available. My current board has 2MB of
> FLASH and 2MB of DRAM only, and the useful application code will just
> fit
> there. You should remember that in consumer electronics

No, it will always be an option.  I guess call it small model <shudder>.
But the overhead for the GOT approach is almost nothing, the only extra
thing in RAM is the GOT it self (unlike full relocation, you still get XIP).

The advantage is IMHO, worth the extra 500bytes-2k RAM footprint from your
2Meg FLASH.  We have a raw compiler, thanks to John Marshall's work on the
PalmPilot prc-tools, but I still need to strip out the stuff that changes
it to use Mac (CodeWarrier) calling conventions, packing and data type
size.

>              bill_of_material <= price <= bill_of_material * 4;
>
> Thus, even $5 more of components make quite a difference on the final
> price of the device.

Oh, absolutely.  Rest assured, I'm aware of these concerns and have to
deal with them myself as well.  We also can't afford to completely dump
XIP.

--
Cheers,
Jeff / VE3DJF  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cgocable.net/~jdionne

Got one, got one, everybody's got one.  Oompah oompah, stick it up your jumper.
Got one, got one, everybody's got one.  Oompah oompah, stick it up your jumper.