What's the exact symptom?
System won't pickup classes defined cause it can't define system hostname. I noticed it just default sets it to "host" and then choose the classes defined in the *) entry in the 50-host-classes file

my hostname is vm00.blahblahblah.com
here's my class entry:

# use a list of classes for our demo machine
case $HOSTNAME in
   vm*)
       echo "FAIBASE DHCPC SETUPSTORAGE"   ;;
   *)
       echo "FAIBASE DHCPC SETUPSTORAGE"   ;;
esac

(ifclass I386 || ifclass AMD64) && echo GRUB
exit 0

the fai and distribution version yo are using?
FAI 3.2.8 June 15
cd or pxe install?
PXE
It sometimes happend, and there was some confusion in hostname handling in FAI in some versions - but if you system is iself set to some random hostname (things I had at time is "host", "debian" or completly empty) \
I have no idea how i would set the hostname since i thought it would just know from DHCP + BIND

Sure, you DNS and DHCP should be fully fcuntional, and you shuold be very sure that there is no secsond dhcp running...
There's only one DHCP server running

TIA
-James

Antwort per Email an