James wrote:
Usually I only see this, if my DHCP doesn't know the system and gives it a random ip from the pool.
yeah,
the shell shows
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

So, setting the name is broken very early - fai can't make more of it than it has here.

Surely, it must not be your fault, you can be biten by a new bug in the newest release which I did not yet test - you could try downgrading to 3.2.6 if you like - with that version, I can assure you FAI works correctly if your dhcp setting is right.

Are you absolutely sure the host's mac and everything is correct in dhcp? Does it really get the intended IP or some random one?
I wouldn't be able to pxeboot it if it weren't.

Hmm, Usually, you can boot very well even if the hostname is not set - you just need to tftp server address.

I don't know your setup, but the "host" as hostname is happening to me only when I start a new VM, and did forget to add it's name/mac/ip to the second dhcp on my wifi router. And the systems boot well in this etting - just they are named "host", which doesn't get them any useful classes... same as you have there.

also i do an ifconfig and everything to doublecheck before reboot and also all the system messages during install and everything seems to match up.

hmm...
Can you ping the system by the name you intend it to have?

What do the log messages on the dhcp server say - anything interesting there?
Did you restart the dhcp after thenameserver entry was made?

Henning

Antwort per Email an