On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Alan Robertson wrote:

> Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> [...]
> > 2. What does the test plan look like, what target scenarios are going to
> > be evaluated and verified? (Resource agents, architectures, system
> > configurations.)
>
> I have some ideas on this, but, I don't really know the hardware
> resources they can bring to bear on it in the short term.
>
> I have secured some Power architecture test machines (same as before),
> and also some mainframe (system z) machines.  Unfortunately, they're
> behind the IBM firewall, so we'll probably only be able to do automated
> tests on them.

You might want to take a look at 'buildbot':
   http://buildbot.net/trac

This seems to be used by many folk (including the python people):
   http://buildbot.net/trac/wiki/SuccessStories

I think it would work by the heartbeat project (or nominated deputy)
setting up the infrastructure, then the rest of us contributing in various
test machines and environments on which the software could automatically
be periodically rebuilt, as buildbot grabs it from our VCS (mercurial,
which seems to be supported).

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :