Hi Holger,

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 10:23:06AM +0100, Holger Teutsch wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 14:13 +0100, Holger Teutsch wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 12:12 +0100, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> > >
> > > We're about to finally tag the new release by the end of this
> > > week and it'd of course be great to have this one on board.
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Dejan
> > >
> > I'm in the final compatibility tests right now. I will submit it
> > tomorrow.
> >
> > - holger
> >
> Dejan + Florian,
> please find attached the RA agent for db2 that supports HADR as well.
>
> It is plugin compatible to the old version of the agent.

Great! Unfortunately, we can't replace the old db2 now, the
number of changes is very large:

 db2 | 1076 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------------

And the code is completely new (though I have no doubt that it is
of excellent quality). So, I'd suggest to add this as another db2
RA. Once it gets some field testing we can mark the old one as
deprecated. What name would you suggest? db2db2?

> Here is how it
> works.
>
> The old agent has instance parameters:
>
> instance      (r)
> admin         (o) Boils down to use value of admin instead of value of
> instance

Oops. Strange.

> dbpartitionnum        (o) defaults to 0
>
> The old agent starts all defined databases in the instance, they fail
> together as well.
>
> The new agent has instance parameters:
>
> instance      (r)
> admin         (o) retained same behavior for compatibility but flagged and
> logged as deprecated

How often people actually use different instance and admin name?
IIRC, all db2 installations I saw had them equal. Furthermore,
instance is also user input, so I can't see any sense in
overwriting that. I'm quite confused. At any rate, if we're
adding this as a separate agent, let's try to do the most
sensible thing.

> dbpartitionnum        (o) defaults to 0
> dblist                (o) defaults to all defined databases in the instance
>
> When configured as primitive without dblist: exactly the same behavior as the
> old agent.
> When configured as primitive with dblist: only starts the listed databases
> which fail together as well.
> When configured as m/s and (the resulting dblist) containing excatly one
> value: implement HADR pair.

HADR is a very different beast from non-HADR db, right? Why not
then add the "hadr" boolean parameter and use that instead of
checking if the resource has been configured as multi-state? Then
the RA can complain if the resource is not ms. And in the
configuration it is going to be obvious that this is a HADR
instance.

I'll write again after reviewing the code.

Many thanks for the contribution and effort!

Cheers,

Dejan