On 2013-07-10T14:33:12, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> > Network problems in hypervisors though also have a tendency to be, well,
> > due to the hypervisor, or some network cards (broadcom?).
>
> Yes:
> driver: bnx2
> version: 2.1.11
> firmware-version: bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.12

For a really silly idea, but can you swap the network cards for a test?
Say, with Intel NICs, or even another Broadcom model?

> > Can this be reproduced with another high network load pattern? Packet
> > loss etc?
> No, but TCP handles packet loss more gracefully than the cluster, it seems.

A single lost packet shouldn't cause that, I think. (There may, of
course, also be more problems hidden in corosync.) Anything showing up
on the ifconfig stats or with a ping flood?

Some network card and hypervisor combos apparently don't play well with
multicast, either. You could also try switching to unicast
communication.

And if this reproduces, you could try the SP3 update which ought to be
mirrored out now (which includes a corosync update and a kernel refresh;
corosync 1.4.6 is already in the maintenance queue).

Sometimes I think the worst part about distributed processes is that it
has to rely on networking. But then I remember it relies on human
programmers too and the network isn't looking so bad any more ;-)

> >> Is there any perspective to see the light at the end of the tunnel? The
> >> problems should be easily reproducable.
> > Bugs that get reported have a chance of being fixed ;-)
> One more bug and my suport engineer kills me ;-)

There's already a bounty on your head, it can't get any worse ;-)

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA