Seeing the high dropping quote... (just compare this to the other NIC) - have
you tried a new cable? Maybe it's a cheap hardware problem...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: linux-ha-boun...@lists.linux-ha.org
[mailto:linux-ha-boun...@lists.linux-ha.org] Im Auftrag von Lars Marowsky-Bree
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. Juli 2013 11:20
An: General Linux-HA mailing list
Betreff: Re: [Linux-HA] Antw: Re: beating a dead horse: cLVM, OCFS2 and TOTEM

On 2013-07-11T08:41:33, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> > For a really silly idea, but can you swap the network cards for a test?
> > Say, with Intel NICs, or even another Broadcom model?
> Unfortunately no: The 4-way NIC is onboard, and all slots are full.

Too bad.

But then you could really try raising a support request about the network
driver, perhaps one of the kernel/networking gurus has an idea.

> RX packet drops. Maybe the bug is in the bonding code...
> bond0: RX packets:211727910 errors:0 dropped:18996906 overruns:0
> frame:0
> eth1: RX packets:192885954 errors:0 dropped:21 overruns:0 frame:0
> eth4: RX packets:18841956 errors:0 dropped:18841956 overruns:0 frame:0
>
> Both cards are identical. I wonder: If bonding mode is
> "fault-tolerance (active-backup)", is it normal then to see such
> statistics. ethtool -S reports a high number for "rx_filtered_packets"...

Possibly. It'd be interesting to know what packets get dropped; this means you
have approx. 10% of your traffic on the backup link. I wonder if all the
nodes/switches/etc agree on what is the backup port and what isn't ...?

If 10% of the communication ends up on the wrong NIC, that surely would mess up
a number of recovery protocols.

An alternative test case would be to see how the system behaves if you disable
bonding - or if the names should stay the same, only one NIC in the bond.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA
21284 (AG Nürnberg) "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."