Hello Charles, hello Riley, hello all,

> Thanks, Riley:
>
>  I found ax25-utils-2.1.42a.tar.gz
> but ftpsearch.lycos.com failed to find a site for
> ax25-utils-2.121.
> Has anyone any hints on how to find a later release of ax25-utils ?

I've never heard of them. Currently, there are two releases one
should consider using.
The first one is ax25-utils-2.1.42a.tar.gz and several derivatives of
that release (eg. binary versions for RedHat 6, SuSE 6 and other
glibc based distributions).
ax25-utils.tar.gz will compile without hassles on libc5 based
systems _only_!

The place where they usually reside is

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/unix/Linux/packet/ax25/

These utils are designed for kernel versions 2.0.35 - 2.0.37.
Once again:
These utils are designed for kernel versions 2.0.35 - 2.0.37.
(That is important.)

There is another release of the AX.25-utilities especially for the
2.2.x kernels at

ftp://ftp.hes.iki.fi/pub/ham/linux/ax25/

Note: The utilities package has been divided into three parts to
separate them from the AX.25 library.
You'll have to get
libax25-0.0.6.tar.gz
ax25-tools-0.0.3.tar.gz
ax25-apps-0.0.2.tar.gz

If you want to use Tomi Manninen's node program you may
download it as a separate archive (node-0.3.0.tar.gz ).

These programs could be installed using the procedure:

cd /usr/src
tar -zxvf /path/to/archive
cd {archive's name without the tar.gz suffix}
less README (you should really read those files, they aren't too
long)
less INSTALL (if available)
./configure
make