On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If sendmail is too tough, try 'exim' or 'postfix'. They're both quite
> powerful, and easier than sendmail to configure.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.... Does there exist a "how-to", examples or
explicit instructions on how to use sendmail for radio amprnet, radio pbbs,
local delivery and internet delivery ALL on the same box?

> The AX25-HOWTO was never going to cover that material. It is adequately
> covered in other HOWTO documents. Try the Networking and IP-Chains
> HOWTO's

>From what I see, the networking and ip chains howto's are meant for
seasoned sysadmins and/or hardcore programmers. There just ain't
much in the way of "english language" material for the
non-programmer/non-nethead. Again, does there exist any docs
on how to ip forward/gateway radio amprnet services with kernel 2.2.x?

> The domain.txt file, I think (it's been a good number of years since I
> ran NOS) is just the equivalent of the /etc/hosts file.

It is. However, I can't seem to find any resources to utilize such
information. The closest I've seen is the DNS-HOWTO, again does not
provide any assistance for ham radio folks who don't have Ph.D's in net-speak
or c++-speak. Can anyone tell me how to configure BIND so amprnet lookups work
while not breaking real internet DNS?

> I personally think you'd be better off fixing the actual problem though
> (the DNS problem or whatever it actually is) than naiively working
> around it with manual name->address mappings.

Ok, I'll bite. How do I fix it? One problem is my isp's DNS has an entry:

Server:  ns1.rio.com
Address:  206.96.130.10

Non-authoritative answer:
0.1.26.44.in-addr.arpa  name = crv.lan.ampr.org

44.IN-ADDR.ARPA nameserver = hamradio.ucsd.edu

etc.....

But a traceroute from rio.com reveals no route to host, thusly:
traceroute to 44.26.1.0 (44.26.1.0), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  gatekeeper (206.96.130.254)  1 ms  1 ms  1 ms
<snip>
10  sdsc-gw.san-bb1.cerf.net (134.24.12.26)  406 ms  380 ms  439 ms
11  192.12.207.5 (192.12.207.5)  406 ms  471 ms  439 ms
12  muir-rs-backbone.ucsd.edu (132.239.254.11)  469 ms  386 ms  386 ms
13  ampr.org (44.0.0.1)  381 ms *  465 ms
14  * * *

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't address groups such as 192.168 and 44.0
considered "private" nets and technically aren't supposed to be routed via
internet? Even if they were, the ampr.org docs clearly state that 44.26.1.0 is
for "testing" and is not to be assigned. AND, why does the rest of the world
know to route 44.26.1.0 to ucsd.edu/ampr.org, yet ampr.org doesn't have it?
My local net just happens to be 44.26.1....see what the problem is now?

Like I've been saying, I'm neither a programmer nor a seasoned net
professional. As such, I need a bit more "1-2-3..." guidance than some
of you. I'm sure by the posts I see here that there are many more "Linux
Newbies", new hams, hams new to packet and just plain old dumb hams like myself
that would be more inclined to get heavily into ax.25 networking, instead of
turned off, if it weren't for the lack of simplistic docs and negative

I have a myriad of great ideas, application deviations and enthusiasm for
amateur packet. I also have a great deal of real-world RF experiences to
share and relate to after being a broadcast engineer, microwave maintenance
technician and been doing packet radio almost since it's inception. I
would happily toss Linux ax.25 stuff for DOS or Windows if those platforms
offerings would suit my needs.

I have the greatest respect and admiration for all the programmers and
individuals who have made Linux what it is. I'm continually bafflled by the
folks who don't quite have the same level of understanding, experience or
education as they.

James S. Kaplan KG7FU
Eugene Oregon USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]