"James S. Kaplan KG7FU" wrote:

This message only turned up here today, no idea where it has been for
two weeks.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't address groups such as 192.168 and 44.0
> considered "private" nets and technically aren't supposed to be routed via
> internet? Even if they were, the ampr.org docs clearly state that 44.26.1.0 is
> for "testing" and is not to be assigned. AND, why does the rest of the world
> know to route 44.26.1.0 to ucsd.edu/ampr.org, yet ampr.org doesn't have it?
> My local net just happens to be 44.26.1....see what the problem is now?

The 44 network is most certainly not a private network. The reason
44.16.1.0 is routed to the 'ampr.org' host is because the *whole* 44
network is routed to the ampr.org host, it is the gateway for net 44 to
the net. ampr.org doesn't know how to route to 44.16.1.0 for
specifically the reason you've stated, it is reserved for test purposes
and therefore should not be routable.

> Like I've been saying, I'm neither a programmer nor a seasoned net
> professional. As such, I need a bit more "1-2-3..." guidance than some
> of you. I'm sure by the posts I see here that there are many more "Linux
> Newbies", new hams, hams new to packet and just plain old dumb hams like myself
> that would be more inclined to get heavily into ax.25 networking, instead of
> turned off, if it weren't for the lack of simplistic docs and negative

The harsh reality is that it is extremely difficult to have both
flexibility/capability and simplicity. It's just not possible to get by
without knowing at least something about what you are doing, unless you
get someone to do it for you.

> I have the greatest respect and admiration for all the programmers and
> individuals who have made Linux what it is. I'm continually bafflled by the
> folks who don't quite have the same level of understanding, experience or
> education as they.

Don't be baffled. There is no mystery.

You've made the mistake of assuming the things you are asking are easy
and straightforward things to do.

Terry