On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 07:36:57PM -0000, Robert A Jenkins wrote:
> > For machines within the same subnet to work via an intermediate system, you
> > must add specific routes to the target machines with the intermediate as a
> > gateway. I set mine up in rc.local.
>
> Well, they are not really on the same subnet then if an active
> intermediate is required. Can you change the subnet mask to the correct
> value, which may even be 255.255.255.254? (I don't know that such
> a mask is actually supported to be honest..)

I'm not sure but I don't think the subnet / netmask issue is of relevance
here. The main point of the problem is that Linux 2.2 seems to refuse to
send out an IP datagram on the same interface it came in. At least with
AX.25 interfaces.

I tested this at home by setting up a route to certain host through my
only radio port. I tested that the route works from my machine and from
another machine on my home ethernet. I then went to another site that is
on the same frequency as mine (actually I dialed it up but anyway) and set
up the route there to point _through_my_box_. With older kernels, this
would have worked. With kernel 2.2 my box just throws the datagram away.

--
--- Tomi Manninen / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / OH2BNS @ OH2RBI.FIN.EU ---