> Hi, John:
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  I think that you are answering my question (1.) with a 'yes', but I am not
> sure.
>
>  I've read all my new mail today and see no answer regarding making
> the 'AX.25 accepting CALLSIGN-SSID' manifest.
>
>  I think an ALIAS-* can be configured though and this should be good enough.
>
> 73, Chuck

Chuck, I think what you're asking is whether the call/SSID that's used
as the destination address for inbound packets is used as the source
address for outbound packets in that same connection.  I would need to
do some monitoring to be sure, but I believe that the answer is "yes,
probably".  I believe that most of the Linux AX.25 tools and
applications will reflect the address used to establish the connection
as the apparent "FROM" address in the return packets.

I say "probably" because an application can assign a "FROM" address at
will if it wants to, so there's no system-wide guarantee what every
conceivable application might due.  (As an aside, at least one version
of the "call" program that you use to establish an outgoing
plain-old-packet keyboard session allows you to specify the FROM
callsign in the command syntax.

If you want to check for yourself, you can connect to W8APR-0, W8APR-1,
MVFMA, or BBROOK on 156.61 (I think you're close enough to me to reach
directly) and see what the FROM/TO callsigns are.  W8APR-0 and MVFMA
connect to the FBB software, while W8APR-1 and BBROOK are used for the
node software.  The hardware address of the 145.61 port is actually
W8APR-13, and I don't think you'll see many packets with that FROM
address.

73,
John
--