On Tue, 2 May 2000, Kjell Jarl wrote:

> bpq can be set up to give welcome text to the node call as well, usually
> set off though. Some thenet nodes also gives welcome texts, debending on
> the set up, also over long distance (already established link level).

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have stressed this issue too much, it's not the
point. The fact is that traditionally those systems have avoided sending
welcome texts, and the reason (or one of the reasons) is what I explained.
I know some systems do send them and that those systems also do things
like check the list of known NET/ROM neighbours to see if the connectee is
a user or not. That last mentioned thing is something you will never see
on Linux, it is just too ugly and even as such it's not at all foolproof.

Some implementations wait for the first information frame from the user
before deciding what to do (the frame will have a protocol ID so the
system knows exactly what it is for). Now this hack could be implemented
at kernel or ax25d level I think and it wouldn't be all that ugly. Maybe
some day...

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]