Following up on Chuck's questions about the apparent call/SSID used by
Linux AX.25:

When a station has established a connection to any Linux AX.25 service
that I'm aware of, including node, FBB, and the CLX cluster software,
the FROM callsign matches the callsign used to establish the
connection, so I believe that meets your criteria for "manifest."

It'll save a bit of confusion to mention now that the low-level Linux
networking components, like NetROM network layer configuration, are
completely separate from the programs that users interact with.  For
example, the "node" program provides a G8BPQ-like front end for user
interface.  "node" is launched by a daemon program called ax25d, which
listens on all the AX.25 ports.  When it sees an incoming connect
request it matches the FROM and TO callsigns, as well as the port, to
values in a configuration file and launches the appropriate application.

So, when you connect to W8APR-1 or BBROOK on 145.61 at my station,
ax25d sees that request and knows that any connection to that callsign
is intended for the node program, so it launches that program, passing
to it the TO and FROM callsigns of the incoming connect request.  node
than takes over the connection, using those callsigns.  Most
applications launch in this way, though some (like FBB) listen to the
AX.25 ports directly rather than via ax25d.  What's key is that the
combination of ax25d and the program's own coding defines what
callsigns are used, so there's tremendous flexibility in configuration.
 The call/SSID combinations assigned to the hardware ports have nothing
to do with it, and they can be totally different, or even dummy calls.

Moving on to the NetROM subsystem...  When the Linux NetROM system
sends its node table, the FROM call is the call/SSID assigned to the
first NetROM port defined in the system.  That may or may not make the
user access call/SSID "manifest" but it will identify the port used for
layer 2 NetROM-to-NetROM connects.  (It may help to explain that the
Linux "node" program that provides the BPQ-like user interface isn't an
integral part of the NetROM subsystem -- it's a stanalone program that
is configured separately.  Its call/SSID don't have anything to do with
what's defined for the NetROM ports.)

Note that to make the NetROM user interaction similar to what BPQ users
expect, you ordinarily configure two or more NetROM ports, each with
its own alias and call/ssid combination.  One is a "system"
alias/call/ssid that can be hidden with a "#" character and is only
used for NetROM-to-NetROM connections, while the others are used for
user interaction.  At W8APR, #MVFMA:W8APR-14 is the system node,
BBROOK:W8APR-1 conencts you to the "node" front end, and MVFMA:W8APR-0
provides access to the FBB software.  All these appear in neighboring
node tables.  (My web page explains the details of setting this up.)

If the NetROM system and applications are set up properly, users could
do an AX.25 connection to, for example, FBB, using the call/SSID that
appears in the "MVFMA:W8APR-0" entry of the NetROM nodes list -- it
will respond to both that alias and call/SSID via AX.25, or to the
MVFMA node via NetROM.  However, you don't *have* to do it that way, so
there's no guarantees.

The only other traffic I can think of where a passer-by would pick up a
callsign/SSID is from some sort of beacon.  As you've already seen, FBB
sends its mail beacon using the call/ssid that it responds to.

By itself, the node program doesn't generate any beacons or status
messages to let a passer-by know that it's there.  However, there's a
separate "beacon" program that allows you to send one or more beacons
on whatever ports you want, using whatever FROM and TO callsigns you
want.  With that tool, you can make the call/SSID of whatever services
you like visible.

I hope this helps.

73,
John