On Wed, 03 May 2000, you wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 03:38:41PM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> > I would like to propose a project to create a converse daemon that is
> > licensed under the GPL.  I have seen recent work on patching one or more
>
> Aside from tradition, what's wrong with just using IRC over packet?
> (OK, maybe that's a dumb question but I don't mean it to be, I was
> seriously considering trying that...)

I've used IRC on packet and it has a considerable overhead (even at the client
end) compared to convers. Another problem is the synchronising of user
nicknames - in IRC they can't be duplicated but many times a user will access
the network via different nodes to try to improve their connectivity and end up
with several logins. In fact the slow end-to-end times in convers prevent a lot
of the synchronisation that IRC requires.

Having said that, those users that have a good link to the hub here use the IRC
<> convers gateway that Jens David wrote and it works well (within the
limitations expected). Shame its not very stable - one day I'll learn to hack
Perl :-))

Any new convers facility will need to be compatible with the existing
inter-server protocol but maybe there is something that can be done to improve
(or maybe it should provide) IRC client connectivity as well.

--

73 de Robin. G8ECJ                      Hub manager gb7ipd

NTS: G8ECJ@GB7TVG.#42.GBR.EU            AmprNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.gb7ipd.freeserve.co.uk/
Shack: (+44) 1628 533311                Fax:  (+44) 1628 850165
Club pages (g4xyw modem etc) at http://www.tvipug.freeserve.co.uk