----- Original Message -----
From: "Wahyu Kelik C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 1:59 AM
Subject: Re: New install of linux

> At 00:27 01/06/2000 +1000, Shane Deering wrote:
> >It will look something like -
> >hda1 windows
> >hda2 (or 5) linux /
> >hda3 (or 6) linux swap partition
> >hdb1 linux /boot
> >
> >Q1/ Am I on the right track with the partitions?
>
> Yes, you're right with the partitions.
> Or You can share your Windows swap partition with Linux swap partition.
> There is a how-to regarding this. It will help if you have limited space
> for running Windows (as the Microsoft recommended there is 10% free-space
> for swap), and you didnot want to add any partition for Linux swap.

I hope so, I'm doing the final transfer of BBS files across to the p100 as
I type this. The BBS is shut down and will reapear in 1/2 an hour or so
on the old computer. Have to sort out the extra serial port cards first.
One thing I might change is put the swap partition before / so that
the linux files and swap partition are closer together on the hard drive
and hopefully faster when/if I have to swap out mem. Could still be
a luck dip though.

> >Q2/ Are there known problems with the ax25 stuff with RH 6.2?
> >        It's on a cover CD of a local mag that I'm about to buy.
>
> No, there is no problem with ax25.
> But there is some significant security breaches at RH 6.2 distribution.
You
> can search (and add some patch) from www.cert.org or www.iss.net or
> directly to RH homepage for update.

I might leave RH 6.2 for a while or make an extra partition for it and have
it as a boot option while working with 6.1.

> If you running Windows 98 Second Edition, you will find a lot of trouble.

The first version. Only seems to give me problems during the install.
Once up and running the BBS doesn't crash and that's about all it will
be running. 16 megs of ram doesn't allow for a lot of multitasking.

> with best wishes,
> Wahyu Kelik C

Thanks, I think I'll need it.