Linux-Hardware Digest #63, Volume #9             Wed, 30 Dec 98 17:13:38 EST

Contents:
  Re: Free IRQ and I/O ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Buying a new video card... (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean=2DNo=EBl?= Avila)
  Epson ActionPrinter 5000+ ESC/P2 Printer... (Michael T Richardso)
  Linux and MODs (Bruce Kall)
  Re: SCSI Cheap/Supported? (Blake Sobiloff)
  Lilo will not boot Win98 is over the 1024 cylinder (TheMan3019)
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!! ("Tommy
Cox")
  Another Zip drive question (John Slimick)
  Where can I find the SiS6326 driver? (Jean-Christophe Beumier)
  Re: Micro Star mother board MS-5169 ("Scott Swaim")
  LS120 (Alberto Pueyo)
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have  Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO  HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!! (THE
DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM)
  Re: File systems (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: When will kernel 2.2 be released? (jedi)
  Re: Tseng ET6000 2 MB only 8 Bit colors? ("UUnet")
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!! (THE
DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM)
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!! (THE
DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM)
  Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am stuck
in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO  HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!! (THE DUNGEONS OF
DOOOOOOOOOOM)
  !!!!!!!!LOADS OF FREE DESKTOP THEMES!!!!!!!!!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: LILO and booting from scsi (Eric Potter)
  Re: any tools to disable PnP mode under linux? ("David")
  Re: Printer problem ("R.A. Wilson")
  Re: NETGEAR FA310TX on RH 5.2 (bgeer)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Free IRQ and I/O
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:44:11 GMT

RedHat 5.2 supports the commands
        cat /proc/dma
        cat /proc/interrupts
        cat /proc/ioports

to tell you the status of DMA channels, IRQs, and I/O ports
respectively. Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean=2DNo=EBl?= Avila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Buying a new video card...
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:50:05 +0100

Steven Zinck a écrit :

> hey all...
>
> I'm going to buy a new video card soon, nothing too fancy.. right now I have
> a S3 ViRGE GX/2 4mb that has been locking up X (seems to happen when I load up
> a graphic in gimp and sometimes netscape)..I've heard of other people having
> this problem too w/this card....anyway.. just wondering if anyone can make
> a recommendation for a good, stable card in X?
>

> --
>
> -steve
> remove the '-remove' to reply via email

I have an S3 virge GX2 4mb and I'm quite happy with it working on my
RH5.1... OK, I struggled to make it work fine. It came out that when
using using the SVGA server 3.3.3, an option must be desactivated : try
adding the line

  Option      "xaa_no_color_exp"

in the Device section of your XF86Config and the problem is over (at
least for me, it was).

JN

------------------------------

From: Michael T Richardso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson ActionPrinter 5000+ ESC/P2 Printer...
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:22:30 -0500

Hello!
        I have been having a small problem with my printer lately.
Epson ESC/P2 printers use a certain printing language (namely, ESC/P2)
for printing. A DIP switch on the front of the machine determines if it
will accept the ESC/P2 printing or IBM-compatible printing (standard
text)
Has anyone heard of a driver for linux for the ESC/P2 series of
printers?
I've searched the world over...

Thank you
mike
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Michael T. Richardson       ~8-0>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                int main(void)
                {
                  cout << "Hello World" <<endl;
                }
##########################HAVE A DAY!##########################

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Kall)
Subject: Linux and MODs
Date: 30 Dec 1998 20:28:01 GMT

Can Linux be used to read SCSI MODs?  The ones I have don't have a filesystem
on them (are raw data) and I don't seem to be able to read anything from them
(I'm using the example Generic Scsi code found the net).  I can read the label
of the drive and determine if there is any media loaded, but when I go to
read or lseek around, the scsi commands return data but it is junk and the
light on the front of the drive never kicks on when I read/lseek.

Thanks,
Bruce

PS: I've tried things like xcdroast on it (to read) but the drive shows up
in the list of drives available, but when I go to set a drive to read from it
only shows my internal cdrom drive.

Bruce Kall
Mayo Foundation
Rochester, MN

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: (507) 255-4768

From: Blake Sobiloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI Cheap/Supported?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:51:32 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>         So, is there some inexpensive interface card I can buy that is
> supported in Linux?

I'd double-check the supported hardware list, but Adaptec's AHA-1502B is
an ISA card that does Fast SCSI II and costs about $60.

--
Blake Sobiloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Higher Education Consulting

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TheMan3019)
Subject: Lilo will not boot Win98 is over the 1024 cylinder
Date: 30 Dec 1998 20:31:36 GMT

Hi, I've been trying to install win98 and redhat 5.2 on my 2 gig hard drive for
3 days. I have a: Bios that uses a LBA , 233 AMD. 32mb ram,  Can any one please
tell me what is the correct way to install both OS on one drive with LBA. I
have tryed partitioning my harddrive to: hda1 50mb swap, hda2 454mb root /,
hda3 fat32 win98. Then installed win98 then installed redhat. Then lilo boots
lets me boot redhat but not win98.Says "Error 0x00". Then I go to RedHat go to
/etc/lilo. I get a message saying"warning device 0x00303 exceeds 1024 cylinder
limit, Added win98.

Please E-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you can help

------------------------------

From: "Tommy Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:47:25 -0600

> Re: can't recognize ethernet card
Ok.. I had same problem.. RH 5.1 worked fine and RH 5.2 had trouble
recognizing my ethernet card. As of yet, no solution to that.

> Re: your multiple OS question
Also, I would suggest Partition Magic 4.0 by Power Quest. It comes with Boot
Magic. I am successfully running Win98/NT/Linux on a PentII machine and
Win98/Linux on a AmdK6 266. You can move partitions around on your hard
drive and just put the boot partition for Linux on the first portion of the
first hard drive. You can put /usr etc.. wherever you want. I am very
pleased with this latest version of PMagic.

Just FYI:
I am going to go back and install RH 5.2 again via FTP. If I run into same
trouble again, will post it here.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Slimick)
Subject: Another Zip drive question
Date: 30 Dec 1998 17:58:43 GMT

I recently upgraded a system with RH 5.1 and
an ATAPI Zip drive. Things aren't working yet:

The zip drive should be at /dev/hdc4

At boot I get the message (among many others):

hdc  IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy Drive

I made the following entry in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdc4    /mnt/zip   ext2   noauto  0 0

I was able to format a cartridge with:

/sbin/mke2fs -m 0 /dev/hdc4

But when I tried to mount the zip drive I got
the message

  mount point /mnt/zip does not exist

Obviously something simple.
Can anyone set me straight?

john slimick

From: Jean-Christophe Beumier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where can I find the SiS6326 driver?
Date: 30 Dec 1998 20:47:42 GMT

My PC motherboard has the SiS6326 videochip, but the 5.1 Redhat doesn't seem to have
the driver for it.
Where can I find it, and in which directory have I to place it?
I can't even find the SVGA driver.
Is linux so hermetic?

------------------------------

From: "Scott Swaim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Micro Star mother board MS-5169
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:46:36 -0600

I currently have Redhat 5.2 running on 2 of the boards.  One with K6-2 300
and one with K6-2 266

Scott Swaim
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Alberto Pueyo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LS120
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:58:04 -0500

I am installing a LS120 superdrive in my computer. I would appreciate if
someone could let me know where to find some instructions on how to do
this, so that linux recognizes it. (I'm using kernel 1.2.13; I want to
install the LS drive to make a backup before trying to install kernel
2.0.35).

Thank you very much!

Alberto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (THE DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM )
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have  Cox@home
but am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO  HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:02:35 GMT

Yeah, well why don't you stuff a pie in your face, FARTBRAIN !!!!!!!!

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: File systems
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:43:28 +0100

warblade wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the difference between a ext2 and a
> e2fsck  filesystem?  And how to switch from ext2 to the e2fsck?

e2fsck is not a filesystem but a program which checks for errors and
corrects them if any on ext2 filesystems.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: When will kernel 2.2 be released?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:50:19 -0800

On Wed, 30 Dec 98 16:55:54 GMT, Phil Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "David Steuber" writes:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Filip M. Gieszczykiewicz) writes:
>> > (what scares the crap out of me is the Navy moving their fleet from
>> > [stable] unix systems to NT... [shivvvvvver])
>>
>> You can't expect a smart fleet without a digital nervous disorder...
>
>Perhaps someone will decide to put NT inside an aircraft control system.
>(I know, but if they can do it for ships, they can do it for planes).
>Imagine a Lockheed Galaxy flying over Seattle, the BSOD, and the plane
>crashing on the HQ of a well-known company...

        McCarran airport already has enough BSOD's of it's own
        already and at this point they only seem to be using it
        for display purposes (scheduling & baggage return).

        I wonder if all the people coming in for Comdex noticed
        any of those... '-)

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "UUnet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tseng ET6000 2 MB only 8 Bit colors?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:50:02 +0100

Jep, you're right Rod. After switching away from the W32 server all works
fine w.
16 bit.
Thanx

>>has anyone an idea why W32 X Server does not use 16 bpp with my old
ET6000.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (THE DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM )
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:04:56 GMT

HEY MAN !!! I AIN'T PAYING SH** FOR LINUX !!! AND I WILL CONTINUE
POSTING FOR HELP UNTIL IT'S DONE !!! SO EITHER YOU HELP OR GET LOST
AND STUFF A PIE IN YOUR FACE, FARTFACE !!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (THE DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM )
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:08:07 GMT

CAN'T YOU READ, YOU DUMBFART !!! I SAID I DON'T WANT TO PARTITION MY
7.5 GB HARD DRIVE !!! I ONLY WANT TO INSTALL IT ON A 700 MB HARD DISK
!!! Now there, will you please help me out on the ftp part when I try
to install Linux via ftp please?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (THE DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM )
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO  HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:09:25 GMT

Hi. i do apologize if my message sounds a bit too long but at least
you all will be able to figure out the sticky problem I'm stuck with
and may even know how to help me out of it. I currently am running
Windows 98 on one hard disk. However, since it is 7.5 GB and it's
32-bit, Linux  won't recognize it when I first install Linux. At least
that's what I have been told and eventually found out. Besides, sure I
can download 500 MB in 2 hrs without any trouble via my cable modem,
but I would still need to copy it to a CD-R or CD-RW disc or something
and I'm not gonna pay $200 - $400 for CD-R/RW (in case you all wanted
to know why I would not prefer to copy to a storage device and then
install). I'm not sure if Linux will do it off my zip disks if I copy
linux to 6 zip discs. In any case, these wonderful people keep on
changing the versions of RH Linux. Therefore having got fed up with
it, I looked in the book which talked about RH Linux and how to
install. Well, I had versions 3 and 4 of RH but since some of my
crucial hardware at that time could not be recognized I abandoned RH
until I finally found out that if I had a direct connection with
Cox@home just like corporations and universities that have a direct
connection with their T1, T3, OC-3, etc... server, then you don't even
have to download RH linux. All you really have to download are the
boot.img and supp.img files and transfer them to two blank but
formatted 3.5" high density disks. So I did just that and booted up my
machine and when I got to the installation method option, I chose ftp
method. When I got to the ethernet card question, I 3c509 driver. By
the way, I still have the 3c509b PnP 16-bit Ethernet adaptor which I
obtained when I used to attend another university. Rather than sell
it, I kept it for something like a cable modem. In fact that same
ethernet card I had was part of the requirements for my cable modem
installation. Anyway, RH Linux never in the past had any trouble
recognizing my ethernet card. The only trouble was recognizing my
video cards,my parallel port zip drive, and my higher capacity hard
drive. here, in 5.2 that was not the problem. however, when I got to
the options of DHCP, BOOTP, and Static Address, I chose the Static
option and filled in my fields correctly. However, I got an error
message saying unable to connect to host. I fully verified the ftp
site address and typed it correctly. So I then went back and tried the
other two options only to get the "no response" error message from
bootp and dhcp. So the question still remains, isn't it possible to
install via ftp with cox@home and if so, how and what configurations
are to be made during installation?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.javascript,comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: !!!!!!!!LOADS OF FREE DESKTOP THEMES!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Wednesday, 30 Dec 1998 21:08:01 -0600

For Loads of downloads visit-

http://members.xoom.com/free_themes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Potter)
Subject: Re: LILO and booting from scsi
Date: 30 Dec 1998 17:50:15 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] enlightened this group thus:
> I'm stuck on a configuration problem, and I can't seem to find an answer. I
> hope someone has an idea.
>
> The system I'm working on, has a lot of really "late model" hardware. The
> person I'm configuring for has requested Red Hat 5.2, so that's the
> distribution I'm running. I've worked out nearly all the problems and
> have a running system. Here's the rub.
>
> A boot from a Red Hat install disk, is out of the question. With the
> hardware, no stock boot disk will work. I made the install on another
> system, where I did the recompile to add the drivers for the scsi hosts,
> which are only a few weeks old and SMP kernel. I have to pass special
> parameters to the kernel, on boot, to make it work. Now I'm trying to
> "clone" the ide drive over to a scsi drive, to get the system to boot
> from scsi. So far I've had no luck.
>
> The second stage boot loader gets loaded, but then LILO hangs. I get LI
> and then the system hangs. I know the problem is drive geometry, but
> so far I've not been able to figure how to change lilo.conf to
> accomodate the bios vision of the scsi drive. I read all the LILO
> documentation twice or more, and though there are instructions for
> using dparam.com to see the drive as the bios sees it, I've been unable
> to make that work on any system.
>
> Hope someone has an idea. I'm running low myself.

Try adding the "linear" option to lilo.conf, and rerun lilo, of course.
--
   *  ^  \     ___@      IMPORTANT NOTE:
 *^  / \  \   |  \       When replying to me,  remove the NOSPAM

------------------------------

From: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: any tools to disable PnP mode under linux?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:40:32 GMT

oh yeah... can also (in most bios) turn off PnP os....

From: "R.A. Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer problem
Date: 30 Dec 1998 10:43:19 PST

        You posted your /ect/printcap file, but what does
        your filter look like?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bgeer)
Subject: Re: NETGEAR FA310TX on RH 5.2
Date: 30 Dec 1998 14:40:59 -0700

David Heath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 >Will the NETGEAR FA310TX work with RH 5.2, and which driver do I use?

I have one of these working with kernel 2.0.30.  I downloaded the
latest tulip.c from [I think] Donald Becker's web site.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky /              *             <>
<>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    _o      *   o *      o   <>