  Re: 3com ISA cards and linux (Stephen R. Savitzky)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: [Q] Parallel port access program permission
Date: 20 Aug 1999 20:14:35 +0400

In comp.os.linux.misc YANAGIHARA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:>  Read a section about "Changing process persona" in info libc
:>
:>  Make your program setuid root and make call to seteuid(getuid())
:>  just after calling ioperm.
:>  Than make your program owned by root and chmod u+s it.
: Thanks. I tried chmod command. Other users became to use my
: program successfully.

:>  Of course, having yet another suid-root prog is not good, but
:>  it would do the job.

: I'm understanding this way is dirtier than making kernel
: driver module. But, I think chmod oparation is better than
: getuid(). Because root can administer permission without
: rebuild the program. What do you think about this point ?

I think you should use both:

1. chmod u+s allows your program to start with root privileges and gain
access to ports
2. Calling seteuid(getuid()) as soon as this access is gained, causes it
to give root privelegies up and continue to work under persona of
invoking user (so it can create files, owned by this user and, more
important, cannot read/write files inaccessible to this user), while
still have rights to access port.
Victor Wagner @ home       =         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I don't answer questions by private E-Mail from this address.

------------------------------

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help ! Can someone help me about this ? My E:\ is what in Linux ?
/dev/hda5 ?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:08:39 -0400

__A cleaner table__

Type               Win98    Linux       Notes
==============     =====    ========    =====
1.44 MB floppy     A:       /dev/fd0

Hard disk, EIDE             /dev/hda    Primary master
  Part #1          C:       /dev/hda1   Win98, 1.5 GB
  Part #2          E:       /dev/hda2   Empty, 1 GB

Hard disk, EIDE             /dev/hdb    Primary slave
  Part #1  [?]     D:       /dev/hdb1   DriveSpace 3
  Part #2  [?]     H:       /dev/hdb2   Host for #1 ?

ATAPI CD-ROM #1    F:       /dev/hdc    Secondary master

ATAPI CD-ROM #2    G:       /dev/hdd    Secondary slave

__Some notes, first:__

* I don't remember enough about DriveSpace to be sure
  the above is accurate.  Off-hand, I also don't know
  of any way for Linux to read DS3'd data, so those
  documents may be inaccessible to Linux.

* The above device numbers assume that all of your
  partitions are primary -- none logical in extended
  partitions.

* 'fd' means floppy disk; 'fd0' means floppy disk #0,
  where 0 = first.

* 'hd' means (IDE/EIDE/UDMA) (hard) disk.
   'hda' is primary master, 'hdb' is primary slave, etc.
   These refer to the WHOLE DISKS.

   'hda1' means 1st primary partition on primary master.
   'hda5', if it existed, would mean 1st *logical*
      partition on the same drive.

* Traditionally, installs create symlinks for the CD
  drives, e.g. /dev/cdrom.

__About installing RH6:__

RH6 does not support UMSDOS, I believe.  That would
allow one to install directly into a DOS directory.

Linux does not use 'drive letters'; it uses both
'device files' to represent the device, and 'mount
points'.  Hence, you don't install Linux on E:;
you can remove the partition (or possibly just
alter its type), have a partition of the apropos
size and install there.

Or, more precisely, *at least two*; last I checked,
RH would not install without at least one swap
partition.

Rather than further duplicate the effort of others,
I'll point you to their work:

* Check RH's own site.  They have an installation
  manual online, y'know.  *READ IT*.

* Check the HOWTOs and Linux Documentation Project
  files.  You can find 'em at

  http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs

__Add'nl notes__

Yes, it's possible to install Linux on your
hardware, without removing any non-empty partitions
methinks (just the targeted one), although you'll
want to replace it with at least two.

Yes, you can use install a boot menu, via LILO.
That's rather well documented.  You *might* find
that the installation program fails when installing
LILO, 'tho, so be prepared to have it instead write
a boot floppy, and then run LILO yourself after
boot.

--
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]        | the silly student          |
|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CMI8330 Not loading in Slackware 4.0
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:24:45 -0400

I can not get the card to intizaalize.
and when i do insmod sound it gives a bunch of charcter not recongized
(the site for it dosnet describe how to do it) the card works in  Redhat
but not slackware

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux file-size limit?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:50:09 GMT

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:56:58 -0600, John Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Christopher Browne wrote:
>> >
>> >AFAIK, this is an intrinsic limitation of the filesystem.
>>
>> Apparently what you *think* you know isn't correct.  The ext2
>> filesystem supports files of up to 1TB in size.
>
>> The standard file access API on 32 bit architectures is what can't
>> handle more than 2GB.
>
>OK.  I stand corrected.  This is a hardware limitation of
>the Intel-type hardware then, yes?

No, this is a limitation of the file access API as implemented on 32
bit architectures.

It is also a limitation of NFS version 2.
--
The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxkernel.html>

------------------------------

From: Chang Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sequenzer Part on SB LIVE
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:19:55 -0500

Yeah, I just installed SB Live Value and I had the same problem:midi can't
be played because /dev/sequenser can't be be opened.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problems with ACER CD-R/RW CRW6206A
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:54:53 GMT

I have an Acer CD-R/RW CRW6206A IDE in my Linux Redhat 6.0 box. I am trying
to create a data cd containing the Oracle install tar file so I won't have
to ensure I have enough disk space to untar it to install/reinstall Oracle.

I want to burn it under Linux so it keeps all the filenames in the correct
case and the permissions the same.

I'm using XCDRoast 0.96e and I have SCSI emulation turned on in my kernel.
Here's the output from cdrecord -scanbus:

[root@naboo /root]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.6.1 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jorg Schilling
scsibus0:
                  0) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-R/RW CRW6206A' '1.3A' Removable CD-ROM
                  1) *
                  2) *
                  3) *
                  4) *
                  5) *
                  6) *
                  7) *
[root@naboo /root]#

Reading is fine with the CD. When I begin the MASTER CD option, I create an
image file of the oracle install directory tree. Then, I write the image to
a CD-R. However, when it's done, it says there were errors. I cannot mount
the cd at all.

I setup the image type as Unix Rock-Ridge with the following ISO-Filesystem
options selected:

        Inclide all files
        Allow long (32-char) filenames
        Rock Ridge with anonymity
        Allow files beginning with a dot

Mastering the image to a file is fine. I can mount the file through the loop-
back device and ls it and everything. However, when I try to then write the
image to a CD, it doesn't work.

Again, I'm running under Linux Redhat 6.0 with kernel v2.2.11. SCSI emulation
is turned on and IDE/ATAPI is made as a module and not loaded. My system is a
P200MMX with 64 megs of RAM. My CD writer is the slave device on the secondary
IDE port. The partition I write to is my master disk on the primary IDE port.
The partition IS a Windows 95 FAT32 partition and not an ext2 filesystem.

I've read through the CD-Writing and CD howtos and can't find anything that
points to my problem.

If anyone has any clues as to what the problem is, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

BTW, here's the output from my xcdroast session:

Cdrecord release 1.6.1 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jorg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,00,00'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'ATAPI   '
Identifikation : 'CD-R/RW CRW6206A'
Revision       : '1.3A'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Track 01: data  454 MB
Total size:     522 MB (51:45.36) = 232902 sectors
Lout start:     522 MB (51:47/27) = 232902 sectors
Current Secsize: -1
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11325 (97:31/00)
  ATIP start of lead out: 336225 (74:45/00)
Disk type: Cyanine, AZO or similar
Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Blocks total: 336225 Blocks current: 335561 Blocks remaining: 102659
RBlocks total: 345460 RBlocks current: 344796 RBlocks remaining: 111894
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for single session.
Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer ... input-buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 664
/usr/lib/xcdroast-0.96e/bin/cdrecord-1.6.1: Input/output error. flush cache: scsi
sendcmd: retryable error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)

Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 476979200/476979200 (232900 sectors).
CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: F0 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 05 A8 97 04 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming ready) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
cmd finished after 122.014s timeout 120s
Trouble flushing the cache
Writing  time: 1682.975s
/usr/lib/xcdroast-0.96e/bin/cdrecord-1.6.1: Input/output error. close track/sess ion:
scsi sendcmd: retryable error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: F0 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 05 A8 97 04 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming ready) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 480s
/usr/lib/xcdroast-0.96e/bin/cdrecord-1.6.1: fifo had 14557 puts and 14557 gets.
/usr/lib/xcdroast-0.96e/bin/cdrecord-1.6.1: fifo was 0 times empty and 14408 times
full, min fill was 96%.
Fixating time:    7.908s

Ivan Samuelson                 *
Staff Support Coordinator and  * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Systems Consultant *
Metro Information Services     * http://home.columbus.rr.com/isamuels
http://www.MetroIS.com         *

From: Sorin Balea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: YAMAHA sound card problems - need help
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:13:20 GMT

You should first try a kernel recompile. If your card is ISA based, compile sound
support
as module and use isapnptools. If it's PCI, then you don't need this.
If that fails, try the ALSA driver, dunno the exact URL, you can find it pretty
quickly ...
It should work in the end, OPL3 chipset is supported by both standard kernel
sound driver and
ALSA driver...

Sorin

PS: daca mai ai intrebari, da un email la sbalea*usa_net... antispam address,
inlocuiesti * si _  cu
semnele corespunzatoare...

------------------------------

From: Chang Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Probz with Sb Live! Value and Suse Linux 6.1
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:24:41 -0500

Actually I got two lines saying "Creative SBLive! detected", funny!

Are you able to play midi files? I always got an error saying "can't open
/dev/sequenser device".

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: NE2000 ISA help
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:45:01 GMT

John Bekas, Jr. wrote:

> All the success stories thus far have related to loading the driver as a
> module.  Any successes with the driver compiled into the kernel?
>
> John

Sure.  I use two ISA NE2000 clones in my firewall.

I installed each card - ONE AT A TIME - into the system, and ran the DOS
configuration program.  I turned off the PNP and manually set the IRQ
and address.  Different values for each card, of course.

Then I put both cards in, booted, and edited /etc/lilo.conf:

boot = /dev/hda
install = /boot/boot.b
map = /boot/map
prompt
timeout=50
image = /boot/vmlinuz-ne2k
  root = /dev/hda1
  label = linux
  read-only
  append = "ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x340,eth1"

Run lilo, reboot, and two ethernet interfaces show up.

I use "make xconfig" to build the kernel on my main PC, which has the
disk space, memory, and processor speed to compile it quickly - none of
which is true of the 486DX33 firewall.  "make xconfig" allows you to
save multiple config files.  This makes it easy to maintain two very
different monolithic kernels.  After reading about the hack into one of
the systems used for the recent internet security audit, I am very glad
that I do not have loadable modules enabled on my firewall.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Geoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network Cards
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 05:02:40 GMT

Can anyone tell me how to setup a NE2000 Compatable network card on linux?

------------------------------

From: "Phurba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond G460 with X
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:56:34 -0300

am I looking for the drivers of the same badge, but not the escuentro for
any side, vos tenes the same problem?

Jesse Engels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> does anyone have an idea how to get X-Windows to work with a Diamond
Stealth

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.general
Subject: Re: SCSI Tape drive isn't working?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 05:06:13 GMT

pes wrote:

> System:
>
> Red Hat 5.2
>
> SCSI Adapter
>
> Adaptec 1542
>
> That's all I know, I'm trying to get this tape drive set up for a friend
> and I know that this is probably something simple, but I can't figure it
> out.
>
> There is no /dev/st0 for the tape drive in /etc/fstab, but if I do a
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi the tape drive is there. And I did a dmesg command and
> the tape is listed in the boot messages.

You don't WANT /dev/st0 in /etc/fstab.  That's for filesystems, which
work best on random access devices.  Tapes don't normally contain
filesystems.  What they do contain are one or more tape files in
sequence.  Each tape file usually contains an archive, which then
contains a collection of hard disk filesystem files.  Tape files don't
have names, permissions, or timestamps - just a sequence of blocks
beginning after a SOF (start of file) block, and ending with EOF (end of
file).  Many tapes contain only one file.  That tape file, like a zip
file on a PC, usually contains many other files.

You'll want to read up on "mt" and "tar" - which stand for "Mag Tape"
and "Tape ARchive".

"cpio" is more flexible than "tar", but perhaps a bit more confusing.
Get the basic operations running, and then you may want to look into
complete backup packages like "amanda".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Crossposted-To:
at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: 3com ISA cards and linux
Date: 20 Aug 1999 22:16:59 -0700

"Kalkas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> However, it seems that it is not possible for me to use Linux, since I use
> cable modem with a 3com ISA card. More precisely, I use 3com EtherLink III
> ISA (3C509/3C509b) network interface card, and there are no drivers which
> will support my card in Linux.

Excuse me?  I've been using 3C509's of all sorts with Linux for years.
The driver most definitely exists, it's in the module

  /lib/modules/preferred/net/3c509.o

source in

  /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c509.c

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \ 1997 Pegasus Award winner: best science song--+  \
/ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://theStarport.com/people/steve/   V   \