From: Rahul Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad Mouse
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:52:05 -0400

Hi,

My intellimouse now works since I changed the lines in XF86Config and it scrolls
great in netscape browser.

But it does'nt work in netscape messenger for emails etc. Can I make it work in
my netscape inbox as well?

Rahul Singh,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Bernd Oliver Christiansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sun GDM 20E20
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:08:56 -0700

Hello:

does anybody have a nicely working XF86config file for Sun's GDM 20E20
monitor or knows which monitor type to select in RedHat 6.2?  I'm currently
using Genreric Multisync, but at 1280x1024 the picture is shifted down by an
inch or so.

Thanks,

-Bernd

------------------------------

From: Rajesh Raman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IRQ conflicts and PCI cards
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:31:59 -0500

Hello,

I'm running Linux Mandrake 7.1, and am having problems with an
IRQ conflict between the PCI modem and NVIDIA's graphics driver,
which both want IRQ 3.  As a result, if I first dial-up and then try to
startx, the X server freezes, and if I startx and then try to dial-up,
the modem cannot "get terminal I/O params."  (Yes, I can dial-up
outside X, xor run X just fine.)

Since I don't have any ISA cards (in fact my motherboard doesn't
have any ISA slots), isapnp tools (pnpdump in particular) don't
give me any information to work with --- it just comes back with
"no boards found."

I guess I could install a 2.3 series kernel and let honest-to-God pnp
take care of the mess.  However, is there some other relatively easy
solution for this problem?  A few pointers to the right tools would be
sufficient, but complete solutions are always welcome.  :-)

Thanks much!

++Rajesh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Stapleton)
Subject: Intel D815EEA MB: Ethernet OK. Sound?
Date: 21 Sep 2000 21:46:08 GMT

I got handed a new work machine, based on an Intel D815EEA all-in-one type
motherboard.  It came with Windows 98SE, now I've also got Linux (Red Hat
6.2) running, so I can pass on a couple of things:

        The built-in ultra66/100 controller works, on the Quantum Fireball
        20gig that it came with anyways.  I went from 4mb to 25mb/sec by
        turning on dma which was off by default (hdparm -d1).

        I had problems with the built-in ethernet.  It shows up as eepro100
        in Windows, but the FOUR different eepro100 drivers I got from
        various linux places didn't work.  However, Intel offers a linux
        driver, e100, which DOES work.  I got it from here:

          http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/30504.htm

        The built-in video was disabled, it's useing a Matrox card instead,
        so it works in that fashion.  :-)

Now, sound:  Apparently this motherboard can have 2 different AC '97 sound
setups, described as:

        basic, "soft" audio, ICH2 component and an Analog Devices AD1885
        analog codec.

        enhanced, Creative Labs ES1373 AC '97 digital controller and a
        Crystal Semiconductor CS4297 stereo audio codec.

I'm pretty sure I have the first/basic version, as Windows shows Analog
Devices sound drivers.  /proc/pci shows:

  Bus  0, device  31, function  5:
    Multimedia audio controller: Intel Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=2445.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.
       No bursts.
      I/O at 0xe800 [0xe801].
      I/O at 0xef00 [0xef01].

Red Hat 6.2 sndconfig found something, said it wasn't supported.  I tried
the alsa stuff, the intel8x0 indicates in some places it also supports
815, but loading the module didn't tell me anything, even with debug=detect.

So, I'm thinking either I'm missing something (obviously I'm a touch over
my head here), or it's simply a lost cause, win-sound only.  Might there be
a way to get sound out of this beast?

--
Bill Stapleton                          University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Information & Media Technologies

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ conflicts and PCI cards
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:50:25 -0700

Hi there,

just go into BIOS and assign IRQ to one of PCI slot (Video or modem) and
conflict solved.
But please check that you do not use this IRQ before you will assign it.

NOTE: Check that these PCI cards do not use same I/O ports.

Andrey

------------------------------

From: Jason Fossella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:57:26 -0400

OK, I need to get my USB ports to work with RedHat 6.2. The controller is on
the motherboard (it's a Soyo). My printer (Canon BJC-2110) as well as my game
controllers are USB, so it's a necessity. Any ideas? I'm rather new to this.

------------------------------

From: "Kevin L. Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.madrake,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Video and Sound
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:09:03 -0700

I recently purchased Mandrake 7.1, and I installed it on a machine with:
PIII 733
ABIT SL6
128 PC-133 RAM
Creative SBLive
Creative Annihlator 2

When I go through the install process, I try to choose the right video card
but it's not there, so I end up using FBDev.  And my sound just doesn't
work.  It says that files are missing.  I can play a test sound, but I can't
change any settings.  And when I try to listen to a CD or mp3s there is no
sound.

Can I possibly update the video driver so that I don't have to use FBDev?
And what should I do about the sound problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

------------------------------

From: Valentin Guillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Confirmation of "Spyware"
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:27:05 GMT

Valentin Guillen wrote:

> Am I the only one here who thinks that this is but another example of
> "stealth" spyware?

Read here for confirmation of all which has happened in the last couple
of weeks to confirm the "true nature" of this cuddlie, cute feline:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2826868.html?tag=st.ne.1002.tgif.ni

Regards,
vg

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nvidia Geforce2 GTS & VMware
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:37:11 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Does anybody have VMware up and running with a Nvidia Geforce2 GTS
> graphics card?
>
> If I want to run VMware in the full screen mode I get the following
> error message:
> "XFree86 DGA extension for direct-to-frame-buffer-graphics not
> supported"
>
> I run Suse 6.4, XFree 4.0.1 with Nvidia graphics driver.
>
> I appreciate al hints
>
> Uli

 At this time VMWARE does NOT support its product under
xfree86 4.0.1. I tried it. Then I read the notes that come
with the download of vmware. If you want to run Vmware then
you will have to downgrade to xfree86 3.3.6 and get a
different video card.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.1 Installation errors Overcome!
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:55:28 -0400

Felix Miata wrote:

> Dan wrote:

> > Felix Miata wrote:

> > > Nice to know there's hope. And how pray tell does
> > > one disable disconnect for installation?

> > Well my SCSI card has a built-in BIOS so I just entered that and selected
> > 'disable' for the disconnect option on that channel.  Which SCSI card do you
> > have?  (Mine's an Iomega Buz (Advansys))  Note that there are other things
> > that have been causing people to have problems - having 'PnP-aware OS'
> > selected in BIOS is one cause for people having problems known about.

> I hunted the web and found what I thought I needed at
>
>http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.0/patch/patch-2.0.31/linux_drivers_scsi_README.ncr53c8xx.html
> HBA is Symbios SYM8751SP that came with 4.11 BIOS and now has 4.17.
> Disconnect is not one of the setup options. I tried both

>         lilo: linux ncr53c8xx=tags:0,disc:n &
>         lilo: linux ncr53c8xx=safe:y

> Both methods god rid of all the package selection errors except one,
> "missing basesystem package". Shifting to console 3 the message is:

>         unknown package 'basesystem'
>         warning: missing basesystem package at /usr/bin/perl-install/install_any.pm
>line 278

> In console 4 the screen ends with three pair of duplicated CD-ROM I/O
> errors, sectors 68372, 19756, & 20036. I retried with version 7.0 instead
> and get basically the same problem, but the sectors aren't all paired and
> there are more of them, 49348, 48944, 48756, 48792, 48940, and the
> script error reads "missing some base packages . . . at line 147". My 7.0
> CD is a shrink-wrapped GPL purchase, the second, as I had the same
> trouble with the first, which got lost in the mail on return to vendor. My
> 7.1 my brother made by copying from a shrink-wrapped GPL purchase.

Dan's post on Tuesday mentioned the installer was sensitive about SCSI
disconnect. So, I went looking for a HOWTO about presenting a needed
boot parameter to prevent SCSI disconnect. The web was littered with
identical HOWTO's indicating that for my 53C875 HBA that the
presentation of boot parameters was unsupported. Eventually I found one
that differed - it had exactly what I thought I needed in the URL in my
earlier post above, which got rid of the miscellaneous error messages,
leaving the biggie remaining - the 7.1 installer still couldn't find the
base package.

In checking the install log I found a number of SCSI errors. I had no
clue as to the significance of their meaning, except for the several
pointing to read errors at specific sectors on the CD. I tried rebooting
into OS/2 Warp to copy from the CD. I got no errors from copying the
whole CD to a FAT32 partition. From this my only conclusion was an
incompatibility between something on the SCSI bus and the 53c875 support
the installer was using.

The easiest thing to try turned out to be changing the CD drive. It
worked. Replacing my trusty old Sony CDU55S 2.4X, which *never* gave me
any trouble previously, under not less than 5 other operating systems
and four different HBAs, with an often troublesome Sanyo CRD-254S 4X
drive got 7.1 installed! Other than this inexplicable CD hardware
compatibility problem, the Mandrake 7.1 installer is the friendliest OS
installer I've used so far.

Dan's post may not have been the ultimate answer, but it somehow got me
onto the track to success!
--
A man of knowledge uses words with restraint . . . .            Proverbs 17:27
NKJV

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Acher)
Subject: Re: USB
Date: 21 Sep 2000 22:54:40 GMT

www.linux-usb.org
--
         Georg Acher, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         http://www.in.tum.de/~acher/

From: Scott Rockstad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Mouse right-click on desktop: how to modify pop-up menu?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:08:06 GMT

Hi all!  Problem:  In Linux-Mandrake 7.1 running KDE, when I right-click
on the desktop and the pop-up menu is displayed, the only option under
New is Folder.

Now in L-M 6.2 running KDE, I had the option to add New: Folder, Block
Device, FTP URL, Mime Type, Program, URL, and WWW URL as icons on the
desktop.

How can I add the old menu items to the 7.1 pop-up menu?  I've searched
and searched, and have yet to find a way to get it done.  Any and all
help will be much appreciated.
Regards,

Scott

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 00:32:14 +0100

> Dan's post may not have been the ultimate answer, but it somehow got me
> onto the track to success!
> --
> A man of knowledge uses words with restraint . . . .            Proverbs 17:27
> NKJV
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net

Hi Felix

Glad I could be of service.  :)

It seems to me that the Mandrake 7.1 install has the following glaring errors:

1)  SCSI installs.  Sometimes it can be alleviated (though not completely cured) by
disabling SCSI
disconnect if you have SCSI BIOS options.

2)  It doesn't work properly if you have 'PnP-aware OS' selected in BIOS, even if you
have an IDE
CDROM.  That's my experience anyway.

Maybe they'll fix these by the next release.  *sigh*

Daniel J.

------------------------------

From: Zane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:23:17 GMT

Scott Rockstad wrote:

> Hi all!  Problem:  In Linux-Mandrake 7.1 running KDE, when I right-click
> on the desktop and the pop-up menu is displayed, the only option under
> New is Folder.
>
> Now in L-M 6.2 running KDE, I had the option to add New: Folder, Block
> Device, FTP URL, Mime Type, Program, URL, and WWW URL as icons on the
> desktop.
>
> How can I add the old menu items to the 7.1 pop-up menu?  I've searched
> and searched, and have yet to find a way to get it done.  Any and all
> help will be much appreciated.
> Regards,
>
> Scott

Scott,

The old 6.2 and 7.0 menus are active in 7.1 if you click in a kfm window.  I
don't understand why Mandrake moved it there, but it is still available.

Zane

------------------------------

From: "Stéphane Glondu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMSUNG DVDROM SD604 compatibily
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:28:44 -0400

Hi, it's me again

I solved the problem: I made a copy of Mandrake CDROM and the copy ran!

It's a very strange behavior! Anyone can explain it?

sgnb

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://sgnb.cjb.net (French)

8povo6$7ia$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: lobotomy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual sound cards with linux (slack7)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:53:16 GMT

I think you're right about it being a resource conflict.  At the very
least, something else (probably the other sound card) is using 330,
which is the IO port for the sound blaster's MIDI .    More likely,
the MagicSound is being assigned the same IRQ as the soundblaster --
this is especially likely if it uses jumpers instead of plug and play
to set its resources, in which case the motherboard probably isn't
aware of it when it assigns the IRQ handlers to PCI cards.  You can
change the IRQ of the PCI card in the BIOS pretty easily, although the
method varies from motherboard to motherboard -- check your manual.
Or, if you can manually change the IRQ of the sound blaster (using
jumpers) you could try that (but make sure you select one that isn't
used by anything else, 'cat /proc/interrupts' to see the current IRQ
setup).