Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:51:18 +0200
From: Sebastien Caille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: es1370: unable to write to codec register (SB-PCI128 Problem)

Patrick Reynolds wrote:

>     I've been working with RH 5.2 for about five months now, dual
> booting Win98. My Intel mobo has a Crystal CSxxxx chip on it, and it's
> been working with Linux, and Win98, but I use my PCI 128 for Win98 for
> games that support 4 speakers, its nice to have, blah blah blah.... But,
> its a pain to switch between the 128, and going into BIOS and Enabling
> and Disabling the onboard sound whenever I switch between 98 and RH 5.2
> (linux).
>     When I try to SNDCONFIG my PCI128 card, it probes it as the AudioPCI
> card, thats correct. When it tries to play the sample sound I get a
> repeating
>
> es1370: unable to write to codec register
> es1370: unable to write to codec register
> es1370: unable to write to codec register
> es1370: unable to write to codec register
> es1370: unable to write to codec register
>
> And before that, I get the LD4 error, so I have to go into ISAPNP and
> (VERIFYLD N). When I boot Linux, I get the same error when it tries to
> init. Sound. Any help please? Anything will help, trust me.
>
> Thanks in advance -- Patrick --

Hi,
I solved  this problem by changing the option "PCI Latency Delay". Had to
put a value of 16.
You can also try the alsa sound drivers. Check at

         http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO-4.html

This driver works better than the native kernel driver

--
...The silence was broken by troggish,
   the spell was cast and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lei Chen)
Subject: video capture camera recommend?
Date: 28 Jun 1999 07:46:30 GMT

Looking for a quick and easy way to capture mug shots and convert to PGM
format, any recommendations as to hardware and software? Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Frederik Meerwaldt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
at.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers,fido.ger.linux,maus.computer.linux
Subject: Voodoo Banshee SuSE 6.0
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:03:20 +0200

Hi all,
    I installed SuSE Linux V6.0 on my Amd K6-2 300 3Dnow! with an ELSA
Victory II Voodoo Banshee 16 MB card inside.
    I downloaded the following files in an empty dir in my linux system:
        Device3Dfx-2.1-2.src.rpm
        Glide_V3-2.60-6.i386.rpm
        XFree86_3DFX-SVGA-3.3.3-5.i386-rpm
        XFree86_3DFX-XF86Setup-3.3.3-5.i386.rpm
        XFree86_3DFX-rushlib-3.3.3-5.i386.rpm

    I did a 'rpm -Uvh Device3Dfx-2.1-2.src.rpm' and the screen output was:
        Device3Dfx                   ##############################

    Then I deleted the file Device3Dfx-2.1-2.src.rpm and did a
                'rpm -Uvh *.rpm' and the screen output was:

failed dependencies:
      libNoVersion.so.1 is needed by Glide_V3-2.60-6
      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by Glide_V3-2.60-6
      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by Glide_V3-2.60-6
      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by Glide_V3-2.60-6
      XFree86-VGA16 is needed by XFree86_3DFX-XF86Setup-3.3.3-5
      libtel.so is needed by XFree86_3DFX-XF86Setup-3.3.3-5
      libtk.so is needed by XFree86_3DFX-XF86Setup-3.3.3-5

What shall I do???
Please help. U R G E N T. Pleaaassseeee...
Thanks in advance,
    Freddy

------------------------------

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Getting Ftape to work with a Ditto 2GB Parallel Port Tape Drive
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:31:20 +0100

If you get any joy, I'd like to know the answer too.....!!!!

Pete
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSe on Asus AMD K6-2 450Mhz 128K system
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:34:12 +0100

I'm running a K6-2 350 overclocked to 400 on a P5AB without problems - triple
boot, Win98, OS/2 and Suse Linux 6.0. I've upgraded the kernel to 2.3.5 as it
supports the Ali chipset, but it worked fine on both 2.2.x and 2.0.35 (though
without DMA!)

It sounds like a conflict somewhere. I would suspect one of the PCI cards.
These are often P&P, and until you've got the basic system up and running, you
won't be able to set up P&P devices. I think the SB64 is P&P, so this might be
a good one to remove first. I'm afraid you'll just have to experiment until you
find the right card(s).

It might also be worth telling the BIOS in the setups that you are using a non
P&P operating system. If you have been running Win98 or 95 this might have been
set to P&P, leaving initialisation up to Windoze. If you tell it you have a non
P&P operating system it will try to initialized the cards instead of leaving it
to the OS. I'm using this method, and it even initializes the on-board CMI 8330
sound chip well enough for me not to need any P&P initialisation in the OS :-)

I am using an I740 gfx card, isa 56.6k modem, ne 2000 comp. NIC and two hard
drives (maxtor and Quantum), generic CDrom and HP CD rewriter.

Pete
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Patrick van Beem wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Today, I tried to install the SuSe 6.1 on my new Asus P5a mobo system
>running an AMD K6-2 450Mhz with 1M L2 cache and 128M SDRam. With no
succes......

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sherwin)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.sco,comp.unix.sco.misc,comp.unix.sco.programmer
Subject: Re: Mounting a SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 Filesystem in Linux?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:26:46 GMT

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 01:39:21 GMT, "Binesh Bannerjee"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>       My question is regarding the System V filesystem support available in
>Linux. I currently am running SCO Openserver 5.0.2, and I'd like to boot
>Linux on an alternate drive, but be able to access the SCO drives from Linux,
>I tried enabling CONFIG_SYSV_FS on the Linux box, but it still doesn't
>recognize the drive... Is it perhaps that SCO Openserver doesn't use
>"UFS"?

I've never been able to get SCO Openserver disks to mount either. I
built a kernel with _all_ filesystem types supported but still
couldn't mount the partition. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone +44 (0)1865 721438    http://www.telinco.co.uk/psherwin/index.htm
Fax   +44 (0)1865 434331    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pager +44 (0)7666 797228

------------------------------

From: "Moors, ing. E.W.J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD-RAM it is supported ??
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 06:34:45 GMT

http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~sight95/linux/dvd-ram/dvd-ram-english.html

--
Eric Moors

------------------------------

From: Alan Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: And with Dell Latitude ? (was SOLVED: IBM ThinkPad i1720 & Linux
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:00:00 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for your answer but unfortunately it does not work. I have had confirmation from
4front that the neomagic chip in the new laptops from Dell (such as the latitude CPi
A366 XT) are different form the old ones, and that they do not plan to support it at
the time being.
It is not too bad ... civ ctp is not out in France yet ;-)

Alan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Gray)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Jaz Jet PCI for SuSE 6.2: can't see Jaz nor SCSI CD-ROM
Date: 28 Jun 1999 10:10:03 GMT

Bob Bryla ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I've tried just about everything -- modprobes with at1700, etc. and my "Advansys"
:SCSI adapter
: isn't seen by Linux, much less the two devices. Anyone use the Jaz Jet PCI, what do
:I do with
: modprobe or conf.modules??? The SuSE docs. (or any other docs) don't really tell me
:anything
: I'm doing wrong. "sgcheck" shows no adapter nor devices.
:

Bob,

Chances are that the Jaz Jet that you're using is a SCSI device --
which has *no* BIOS.  That's why your probe of the hardware comes up
empty.  This Jaz Jet ISA card is an Adaptec 2940 clone which has no
bios, and I suspect that the PCI version suffers from the same.  Do a
search of the mini Jaz howto for this card's possible clones (such as
the Adaptec card that I mentioned above).

What you should do is boot with the appropriate kernel command:
something like "aha29x=11,0,0,7" .  This is off the top of my head,
but the actual command can be found somewhere in the Jaz mini howto,
or a worst in the SCSI Howto.  The parameters, of course, should
reflect the appropriate irq, etc. which are displayed at boot-up.

If you still have problems, feel free to follow-up through e-mail.

Paul Gray
gray@[mathcs.emory.edu | cns.uni.edu]
Math/Computer Science Department
Emory University, Atlanta, GA

150 North Decatur Building
1784 N. Decatur Rd.
Atlanta, GA  30322

------------------------------

From: Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gateway Telepath for windows with X2
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:25:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a gateway 2000 modem, which is telepath for windows with x2.  I
> was wondering if anybody knew of any software that would allow this

   The name of this modem answers this question, which is, I am afraid,
no.  This modem is a Winmodem, and Winmodems will not work with Linux.
Winmodems relay on software written only for Windows.  This software is
proprietary and there are no current plans to release the source code.
Without that, they are useless in Linux.  You'll have to get a hardware
modem.

   Greg H.

------------------------------

From: Mehdi Afshar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FREE 4GL Compiler on Linux
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:07:12 +0100

Hi;

Download your FREE Copy Of QueriX 4GL compilers
for Non Commercial Use directly from QueriX Site @

http://www.querix.com/

QueriX 4GL Compilers are Informix 4GL compatible with the
following features

Basic Compiler
==============

1  -Fully Compatible with Informix 4GL.
2  -Dynamically configure size of report
3  -Open to non-Informix databases
4  -Fully-interactive debugger
5  -NT & Linux Support
6  -Use of context dependent input functions anywhere in your
code
7  -Functions can safely be called from reports

QueriX GUI
==========

1  -Windows Look and Feel
2  -Cut & Paste
3  -Resizable Windows
4  -OLE support
5  -ActiveX support
6  -Editing Makes use of native windows functionality
7  -Dynamic Form and Field property control
8  -Configurable HTML Report Generation
9  -No need for TCL/TK.
10 -Choice of 3 tier THIN or FAT Client Server Applications.
11 -Much improved API.

------------------------------

From: Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI sound card setup ?'s
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:20:13 +1200

I'm trying to get my PCI sound card to work. The manual says it creative
labs Pro legacy pci compatible, and the suse hardware thing says it
supports that,  so I've been trying to load it using the sb driver. I've
got

alias sound sb
options sb io=0x240 irq=5 dma=0 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300

in my conf.modules, and when I try to load it by using /sbin/modprobe
sb, it comes up with

/lib/modules/2.2.7/misc/sound.o  invalid parameter parm_io
/lib/modules/2.2.7/misc/sound.o  insmod /lib/modules/2.2.7/misc/soud.o
failed
/lib/modules/2.2.7/misc/sound.o  insmod sb failed

I'm using Suse 6.1. What does that mean? I can't find parm_io anywhere.
Any help appreciated,
Rob.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Merryweather Management Systems Ltd.)
Subject: Logitech PS/2 M-S48 Mouse Setup
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:45:44 GMT

I am curerntly trying to get XFree86 to notice my Logitech PS/2 Mouse.
It's one of those with the wheel on the middle button. I've tried
configuring it as a MouseMan and as a PS/2 but its absoultely dead
once I get into X.

Any old common-or-garden serial mouse can be configured to run no
problem. I've tried to use XF86Setup but again, I seem to have been
through all the options without success.

Reading through the newsgroup, other people seem to have done it using
MouseMan settings. What am I doing wrong here? The relevant bit of
code from XF86Config looks like this right now

Section "Pointer"
   Pointer "MouseMan"
   Device /dev/mouse
End Section

The model of the mouse is M-S48 and I am runing Slackware 2.0.35.

Any suggestions welcome

Regards,

Peter Whelerton

------------------------------

From: Philipp Woelfel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP laserjet 3100
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:36:37 +0200

Hi,
does anyone know, if it is possible to make the above printer work with
linux?
Or is this a "Windos-printer"?

Bye,
Philipp

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:18:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Hi,

>I have a gateway 2000 modem, which is telepath for windows with x2.  I

[...]

Winmodem junk. Hopeless.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph T. Adams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: (despite my occasional anti-linux post, read this)  was Re: Monitor
Date: 28 Jun 1999 11:48:35 GMT

Alex Lam ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >
: In fact. I've tried to install Redhat since 4.0 on 5 different boxes,
: from old P-133
: to my new dual cpu U2W SCSI server, non would install properly. But with
: SuSE, everything installed smoothly on the 1st run, without even a
: single hiccup.

I've had no problems with RedHat installs, other than its not
recognizing any ISA PnP devices at install time.  (Easy enough to fix
later, IF you know where to look, but newbies won't.)

Never tried SuSE, but the installer, YAST, from what I understand is
non-free.  I don't want to be at the mercy of a non-free package for
any important part of my system.  It was to get away from having my
data and productivity held hostage to a single vendor that I migrated
to Linux in the first place.  Nothing against SuSE in general, but I
want my OS to be as completely free as is possible.

: And SuSE now costs half as much as Redhat. Even if you buy directly from
: SuSE. (I did)

Cost isn't the issue for me; freedom is.  I agree that SuSE is
probably a better value, especially for relatively new users.  It also
has the reputation of being much more carefully tested.  But they
should be aware that at least one part of their system, YAST, is not
free and should SuSE change or break or refuse to distribute it at any
time in the future, they could be stuck.  By contrast, all core parts
of RedHat, and Debian, are completely free (GPL).

: I think Redhat will eventually gives Linux a bad rep. Because of all the
: noise that it's making lately, and they're releasing buggy distro to
: flood the market (with 5.2), so they can generate more $ to make their
: book looks good for the IPO not long ago.  Then release a quickie (but
: not thoroughly tested) bug fix (6.0) to fix the problem.

I too am becoming somewhat dismayed by Red Hat's tendency to release
early and often, before thoroughly testing.  This approach works fine
for those who are fairly knowledgeable already, as the resulting
problems generally tend to be fixable.  Kernels have always been
released this way.  It fails miserably for newbies, however, and those
are the folks Red Hat has traditionally targeted.  They need something
that works right out of the box.

Once Debian has a fully working replacement for the horrible dselect,
I will probably begin to recommend Debian rather than any of the
commercial distributions for those who are just getting started.
Again, this isn't a slam against the others.  I just find Debian's
approach of not releasing until things are fully tested to be a breath
of fresh air in what is rapidly becoming a mass-market-driven, rather
than quality-driven, phenomenon.

Joe

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: support for radio ethernet
Date: 28 Jun 1999 04:56:18 -0700

Basant Rajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> need to know if any radio-ethernet cards are supported on linux.

I believe AT&T's Wavelan cards have Linux drivers.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: 28 Jun 1999 05:08:07 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rowan Hughes) writes:

> In article <7kr35m$egk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >I have to be one of those "unlucky" people which run into problems
> >with Windows all the time.  Karma - I guess.
>
> Not karma, it's just a crap O/S for this day and age.  I like to compare
> repairing a Windows installation to a surgeon repairing some vain silly
> woman's hymen. It's a very difficult and delicate operation with little
> chance of of success. Even if you do get it repaired the damn thing's
> broken again five minutes later.

Ugh.  Its too early in the morning for yucky similes.