Linux-Hardware Digest #652, Volume #9            Sun, 14 Mar 99 02:13:26 EST

Contents:
  linux + PC-powered bernoulli? ("liam toh")
  Re: Need advice on video card and monitor for Linux-X (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: need help installing legecy sb16 on RH 5.2 (2.0.36) (Vince Veselosky)
  Re: Newbie-Printing more than postscript files (Wilhelm Wienemann)
  Re: headless mobo (Cokey de Percin)
  HP 882C USB (Mike & Jenn)
  EICO Diehl Diva Pro 2.0 ISDN card. ("Ivan Fernandez")
  which modem ??? for linux&win98... ("omega")
  Please help!  Cardinal PnP modem ("Phillip A. Ryals")
  DE-660 pcmcia and pcnet_reset_8390 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Modem and PPP config??? (Jerry Lapham)
  apic_reg and cpu_data errors when running insmod? (MS)
  linux and CL RIVA TNT ("JC")
  Re: DAC960PM/DAC960PGM Raid Controllers? (Tim Moore)
  Re: which modem ??? for linux&win98... ("Redshift")
  NIC configuration ("J. Jensen")
  AWE64 ("A Nourai")
  Ensoniq AudioPCI (1370) and Diamond Viper 330 Conflict (Ken Blount)
  ?? Soundblaster Live! in Linux?? ("CyBeRDoG")
  ide0 irq timeout problem (fred anger)
  Glint, Control Panel newbie problems ("R.P. Parsons")
  Re: Alien Hardware Port ("Derek F. Payne")
  Re: Packard Bell soundcard (Mike)
  Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem... (Bob Martin)
  IWill DP6NS mobo anyone using? (Nobody Here)
  I still havent been able to get 1024x768 at 16bpp on my Emachines 300k.....Help
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Setting up XFree86 with Samsung 700s (Yuri Karaban)

From: "liam toh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux + PC-powered bernoulli?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:55:59 -0800

I have an old(1992) PC-powered bernoulli drive (external) 90 MB cartridge.
Im not sure if the adapter board that came with it is compatible with Linux.
The manual states "The PC Powered subsystem is not SCSI compatible and does
not support Micro Channel or Macintosh systems". So it seems like a long
shot, but if anyone has any knowledge of its compatibility (or
non-compatibility). please reply.

thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: Need advice on video card and monitor for Linux-X
Date: 14 Mar 1999 01:55:32 GMT

Judy/Bob Dilworth ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> All:
>
> I'm upgrading to SUSE 6.0 and want to use KDE as my desktop.  Toward
> this end I want to replace my current video card (S3-864 generic card
> with 256K ram) with something more substantial as well as replacing my
> 14" monitor with a 17 incher.  I'd like some opinions on what other
> folks use in the way of cards and 17 inch monitors - obviously I want
> something supported by the Linux video drivers available with SUSE 6.0.
> What do you fine folks recommend?  Any thoughts on this matter would be

I am not a gamer so I did not get the newest 3Dfx card when I bout mine a
year ago. I have a S3 Verge /w 4Meg of memory. Its been a good card and
 is supported under Linux. I am guessing by now many in this ng
would consider this low end. I was more worried about the resolution &
number of colors per resolution. Like I said I am not a gamer so I don't
really care about fps.

I have been using a 17" ViewSonic monitor for the same period of time. I
have been very happy it it also. Mine is the G series (has less of a foot
print). 17 dot pitch & high resolutions.

Doesn't really matter but I use SlackWare & WindowMaker!

- Justin

--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!!!!!!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

------------------------------

From: Vince Veselosky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.dev.help
Subject: Re: need help installing legecy sb16 on RH 5.2 (2.0.36)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 02:38:03 +0000

Charles Moon wrote:

> I am seeking assistance in installing a legecy ISA SB16 sound card on a
> RH 5.2 (2.0.36) i486 box.  I understand that I may be able to do so as a
> module.  Who understands the process?
>
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Try running /usr/sbin/sndconfig. This utility makes things much simpler by
setting up the appropriate module parameters in the conf.modules file and
automatically loads the modules at boot. Note: you must be root to run this
utility.

Good Luck!

Vince

--
Control-Escape: Alternative Software
Linux help for beginners to advanced users.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wilhelm Wienemann)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Newbie-Printing more than postscript files
Date: 13 Mar 1999 10:19:34 +0100

Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> informed
alt.os.linux with the following:
> I am running RED HAT 5.2 and I have a HP722C printer. I installed the
> pbm2ppa file onto my system. I am able to print postscript files using
> lpr.
>
> Example: "lpr testpage.ps" or from the printool of RED HAT in X windows.
>
> I also want to be able  to print other files like: ascii, .txt, .bmp,
> .jpg, etc...

You will give the 'a2ps' package a try.

bye - Wilhelm

--
==========>>>>>   E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  <<<<<===========
"And since you are the future keepers of everything, including music, we
 hope you will keep it well, with love, and in joy." (Frederick Fennell)

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: headless mobo
Date: 14 Mar 1999 03:05:18 GMT

Yan Seiner wrote:

> I need to run a headless server on a PC.  I thought I had a nice mobo -
> an old Gateway that automatically detects no keyboard and no mouse, and
> disables accordingly.
>
> Now it turns out that it switches to EGA unless there's a VGA monitor
> physically attached.  Guess what - the EGA ioport conflicts with lp2 (or
> LPT3) and one of my printers dies.  (That was a job of debugging -
> especially since the problem went away when I could see what the
> computer was doing!!!)

ASUS, Tyan to mention a few and well as a host of no name clones.  But why
don't you just use polling for your printer ports; no irqs are used.  I've
got three printers running using polling with no problems on my headless
beast.

Don't know about that, but there is a serial console patch at www.linuxmama.com
for the 2.0 kernels that I used to use.  Works quite well.  I now  use
the 2.2 kernel series which contians that patch.  I've hung an old Dec vt510
off a serial port and redirected the console.  I can monitor the console
messages and also use it to log in if the network goes down.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:
Policy Management Systems Corp.  Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mike & Jenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 882C USB
Date: 14 Mar 1999 02:50:40 GMT

Any body know if this printer will work either USB or Parallel?
Mike

------------------------------

From: "Ivan Fernandez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EICO Diehl Diva Pro 2.0 ISDN card.
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:31:55 +0100

Hi all,

    I've seen the DIVA Pro 2.0 ISA card is not supported, but I got one and
would like to use it. Anyone knows any driver, even experimental I could
try?. I get the card recognized by the system, but modprobing hisax doesn't
work.

    Thanks a lot.

                Ivan Fernandez.

------------------------------

From: "omega" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which modem ??? for linux&win98...
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:37:39 -0500

Hi,
I have no choice to buy a new modem 'cause my winmodem US  Robot... is not
good with linux as I was told !
Please would you mind helping me to find a good one for linux and ``win98``

Many thanks,
Omega.T

From: "Phillip A. Ryals" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help!  Cardinal PnP modem
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:23:51 -0600

I just installed Linux-Mandrake with the 2.0.36 kernel, and I'm trying to
get the modem working. It's a Cardinal 33.6 PnP with no jumpers.  In Windows
I have it set up on COM3 irq4 and it works great.  In Linux, I've tried
everything (That I know :)  It's not a Winmodem, btw.

When i boot, it gives me tty00, tty01, etc... and then runs isapnp.  I've
gone into isapnp.conf and set it to 0x3f8, 0x2f8, 0x3e8 and 0x2e8, and it
doesn't complain with any of them.  But when I go into minicom, I set it to
the proper port and get nothing.  It says "Initializing Modem", but I don't
get anything.  Using Kppp, it says the modem isn't responding.  And
setserial, btw, says there's an I/O error.  (Yes, it is enabled in the
kernel)

I'm assuming it has something to do with isapnp or something, but I just
can't figure it out.

Please help!
 Thanks tons.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DE-660 pcmcia and pcnet_reset_8390
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:44:27 GMT

I recently purchased a laptop with a D-Link DE-660
pcmcia network card.  This card work fine under Windows 98,
and recently I had it working under Linux for a few hours.

Upon booting RedHat 5.2, I get an error message stating:

    pcnet_reset_8390():  did not complete

Anybody have a clue what this means?

I've reinstalled RedHat 5.2 a few times, and have tried
PCMCIA Card Services versions 3.05, 3.08, and 3.09.

I had to manually state my hardware address in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts

Please help!!!!!  I've been battling this for a few weeks.

Please send responses to:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: Modem and PPP config???
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:55:12 -0500

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 03/13/99
   at 06:47 AM, Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I've had this problem too.  Unfortunatly i'm not having much luck
> finding a 56k X2 that is NOT a Winmodem.  Know where i could pick on up?

Check www.egghead.com and see if they still have any Cardinal 3440s left.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Saturday, March 13, 1999 - 07:55 PM (EST)
MR/2 Ice tag:  Rush is always right.

------------------------------

From: MS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: apic_reg and cpu_data errors when running insmod?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:14:50 -0700

Hi,
I'm runinng linux Red Hat 5.2 ( 2.0.36 Kernel), and I successfully
managed to compile the drivers for my 3Com network card (Cyclone 3c905B)
without any errors and to get the card to be detected in the station
address other than the ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. (The driver that I got was an
updated 3c59x.c file from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html). I tried to test
the driver as advised by running the following command:

# insmod 3c59x.o

and I keep getting the following:

3c59x.o: unresolved symbol apic_reg
3c59x.o: unresolved symbol cpu_data

it also shows up when I boot up the machine. Of course the card still
doesn't work under linux but it works fine under NT on the same box.
Does anyone know what is causing this to happen and how can I solve the
problem????  Thanx in advance!!!

------------------------------

From: "JC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux and CL RIVA TNT
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:46:32 -0500

Anyone know when there may be an update in Linux to support the CL Riva TNT
AGP video card?

Is there perhaps another work-around ... perhaps using something other than
Xfree86??

Thanks

JC.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:23:05 -0800
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DAC960PM/DAC960PGM Raid Controllers?

http://12.16.210.3/company/news/99mar1.html
--
[Replies: make the double y a single]

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: "Redshift" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which modem ??? for linux&win98...
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:33:01 -0600

Contact Hepptech, Inc. for info regarding an excellent V.90 modem that works
great in Red Hat LINUX 5.1 and above.  It hasn't been tested with  any other
flavors.  The modem is manufactured by Zoltrix, International, and is
available from Hepptech.  Call for pricing and availability, or e-mail at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Their URL is www.hepptech.com .  The Zoltrix VSP 56i is
an internal ISA, fully jumper configurable modem with NO PnP capabilities.
You can set it for Com 1, 2, 3, or 4, and is configurable for IRQ 3-12,
excluding like 6, 7, & 8.  This modem has been tested under DOS, Windows
3.x, Windows 95, 98, and NT, and a few others, too!

It features fax/speakerphone technology too.  Imagine, fax from the LINUX
command line!

Also comes with some so-so Fax/Speakerphone for WinDoze 3.x, 95, & 98, and
drivers for all flavors of WinDoze.

------------------------------

From: "J. Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIC configuration
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:11:36 -0800

Under the 2.0.36 kernel that comes with Red Hat 5.2:

eth0  SMC Ultra
eth1  Netgear (tulip.c)

Under 2.2.1 kernel:

eth0 Netgear
modprobe can't find the module for eth1

I don't have a clue where to begin. I don't know the filesystem or even
Linux for that matter well enough to even know where to begin to look. Help
please, this is very frustrating.

------------------------------

From: "A Nourai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: AWE64
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:02:47 +1100

these are the steps ive taken to get my awe64 working.

compiled kernel with correct options
(ie done what the AWE64 mini howto says)

used isapnp and commented out the right lines in /etc/isapnp.conf

run /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf or whatever the command is (it worked)

loaded module

all went well

now i cat /dev/sndstat and what it SHOULD be is

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Sat Oct 11 19:35:14 CEST 1997 root,
Linux flora 2.0.29 #1 Sat Oct 11 19:12:56 CEST 1997 i586 unknown)
Kernel: Linux flora 2.0.29 #1 Sat Oct 11 19:36:23 CEST 1997 i586
Config options: 0
Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5
SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3
***1: AWE32 Driver v0.3.3e (DRAM 2048k)

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16

Timers:
0: System clockMixers:0: Sound Blaster
***1: AWE32 Equalizer

what i get is everything but the lines marked with ***
anyone know why?

------------------------------

From: Ken Blount <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq AudioPCI (1370) and Diamond Viper 330 Conflict
Date: 14 Mar 1999 04:31:57 GMT

I've got an AudioPCI that came with my computer and a V330 video card that
I bought at a later date.  When I try to activate sound support under Linux
and then start X, the computer freezes (completely).  I've done this with
the ALSA drivers under the 2.0.35 kernel and now I've tried the native
support with the 2.2.3 kernel.

Everyone thinks it's a IRQ problem, but my BIOS (Gateway PPro 200) doesn't
allow me to go in and mess around with PCI IRQ settings.  Does anyone know
a work around for this problem?

I've fooled around under the /proc directory, but don't know enough to know
what I'm looking for (problems).  I can open some files and get
information, but others (like the PCI file) don't reveal anything.  I also
don't really know where to look for IRQ conflicts either.

Thanks,

Ken

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "CyBeRDoG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ?? Soundblaster Live! in Linux??
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:55:42 -0600

Is it possible to init a Soundblaster Live! in linux? it seems, that the DOS
emu for the SBlive! could be used within conjuction of loadlin/sb16
any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

------------------------------

From: fred anger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ide0 irq timeout problem
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 05:53:13 GMT

I put together a little frankenstein system out of a no-name mb with a
"TXPro" PCI chipset, a P100, a 2.1gig quantum fireball hd, and various other
components.  As I'm installing Slackware 3.6, the following message
intermittently pops up (disk activity stops a few seconds prior to the
message):

hda: irq time out: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
id0: reset: success

Afterwards, disk activity begins again and the install seems to continue fine.
This interruption is happening quite often, however, and won't be tolerable.
Can anyone explain the above message, and maybe why I might be getting this
message?

--
  anger

From: "R.P. Parsons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Glint, Control Panel newbie problems
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 00:12:17 -0600

The Glint Package admin tool doesn't work from my Control panel (RH 5.2), X,, it
just sits there when clicked. Some of the other Control Panel buttons (ie modem
config) do the same.

Do any of the three RH Cds need to be in the drive? I'm having trouble mounting
my CD drive (addressed in separate msg) so if that's it then I need to get the
Cdrom issue resolved before dealing with this.

Thankx.

--
=================
Ron P. Parsons

------------------------------

From: "Derek F. Payne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Alien Hardware Port
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:15:28 -0500

That must be why the virus didn't infect the Apple PowerBook he used to
upload the virus...he wasn't running Wintel.  :)

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Packard Bell soundcard
Date: 14 Mar 1999 06:31:42 GMT

> I'm trying to get my soundcard working under linux. The card came with
the
> computer, which is a rather strange beast manufactured by Packard Bell.
As
> far as I am aware the soundcard has a AZT2320 chip, and is 100%
Soundblaster
> Pro compatible.

I have the same soundcard and have never gotten it working. Oddly enough it
works with TkDesk, but not under anything else. The TkDesk noises come out
loud and clear, but I don't get sound with KDE, AfterStep, or any games.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:15:25 -0600
From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem...

Check the software that came with your cards, see if there is a DOS
configure utility. If there is , boot using a DOS boot disk, use the utility
to set card to what you want, then reboot linux. I have found the DOS
utilities for some cards is the only to get them configured correctly.

------------------------------

From: Nobody Here <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IWill DP6NS mobo anyone using?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:56:57 -0800

Hey all,
  I've got a IWILL NPSNS dual PPro motherboard that is
giving me problems and was wondering if anyone is using
this thing in dual mode? My problem is that when I put
the 2nd CPU in I get 40% packet lose on TCP/IP with both
Linux and OS/2. Both are in UNI-PROC mode and the problem
only shows up with 2 CPUs but I figure why go to a multi-
kernel when it doesn't look right in uni-kernel mode? I
checked the CPU's and they are both at stepping 7 at
180MHz P6's. Anybody have anything similar? IWill is NOT
helping me after phone calls and emails. :(

Doug
djlarue AT ibm DOT net

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I still havent been able to get 1024x768 at 16bpp on my Emachines
300k.....Help
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 06:34:51 GMT

I still havent got 1024x768 at 16 bits on my Emachines 300k. I've only gotten
640x480 at 4 colors or 16 colors and its looks like garbage. I have a 17 inch
Viewsonic E771 monitor (1280x1024 max res...) with an ATI 3D Rage IIc AGP chip
on the motherboard with 4 megs of memory. My monitors specs are:

Horizontal Frequency = 56.40 KHz
Vertical Frequency = 70 Hz
Non Interlaced
Resolution = 1024 x 768 at 16 bits

Dont ask me about the dot clock because I Dont know it and the manual makes no
mention of it. Please help me to properly configure Xserver to handle these
settings so I can proceed with the next step in configuring everything. I've
been stuck on this problem for about 2 weeks. Help me.

From: Yuri Karaban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up XFree86 with Samsung 700s
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 99 15:28:16 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've lost the monitor docs and am a little leery of putting in the wrong
> sync frequency.
try samsung website, afaik it's www.samsung.com
xfree refreshes must be there.