From: Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 486? HELP!!
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:47:26 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> > Hi, I'm the guy who misses his computer very much,, and in that
>> > missingness that I had I went and got a 486DX2/66 off of a friend,
>> > Which version of LINUX, Red Hat, Slackware, Caldera, Debian,, I don't
>>
>>    I don't think it's so much a matter of which flavor, but it _is_ a
>> matter of what you will run on it.  X-Window will probably run provided
>> you have a supported video card, but it will most likely be sluggish.
>>    Here's my take on the distributions you mentioned, though:
>>
>>    Red Hat -- mainstream, pretty easy to install, everything the average
>>               user could need and then some
>>    Slackware -- for the hardcore Linux user, not too far from "rolling
>>                 your own"

> Another merit of slackware is the ability to get it on
> 1.44-disks. With redhat you couldn't do that.

>>    Caldera -- a cinch to install, but the free version is a demo
>>    Debian -- ideal for developers

> Another good thing with debian is that you really have networking
> support with just 9 1.44-disks (good for real slimmed servers for
> example).

> I don't think neither Slackware or Debian is any hard to install. I
> have no personal experience with redhat, but I don't think it would be
> much more difficult than redhat with little computer experience (of
> course debian and slackware may be hard if you're used to windows and
> having mr Gates decide what you want.)

   It's been a while since I used Slackware and Debian, but going on
what I remember, I agree with you completely.

   Greg H.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 01:43:10 GMT

You need to set the protocol that X windows uses to communicate with the
mouse.

If you firstmouse+ is a PS/2 version the make sure the following lines are
in the "Pointer" section of your XF86Config (located in /etc/X11)

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseManPlusPS/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
    Buttons 5
    ZAxisMapping 4 5

Just some notes, the device should be your mouse device.  Normally
/dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/ttyS[0123] or /dev/psaux.  You must
specify "Buttons 5" if you want to be able to use the scroll wheel.  The
ZAxisMapping call is what actually sets the scroll wheel.

See Colas's wheel mouse page for details on Xresources to enable the wheel
in various applications.

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rackmount cases
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 21:45:04 -0400

> Hello All,
>
> I am looking for Rackmount cases for regular AT & ATX motherboards.  I
> have a whole whopping mess of various makes/models of PCs in my Data
> Center.  I would like to rackmount them to save space.  I do not want to
> have to buy all new computers to do this.  Does anyone know where I can
> buy such cases?
>
> Thanks
> Scott
>
> --
> Scott Boss
> Atlanta Perl Mongers Fearless Leader
> website:   http://atlanta.pm.org
> community: http://www.dejanews.com/~apm

Scott;

Unless you find a source I don't know about, the cost of a Rack mount ATX
case will kill this idea.    In fact at todays prices you could buy brand
new hardware.   On the other hand the one industrial "desktop" case I've
had extensive experience with wasn't worth a hill of beans.    If the cost
of floor space is so excessive that you feel you need to continue, try
looking at hardware supplied by Industrial Computer Source.    As stated
before I don't think thier desktop case is worth the money they charge but
give them a shot.    One other company I've hasd good luck with, for
industrial computing, is American Advantech.    Not sure if they supply the
type of case your looking for.    One thing to look out for if you do go
the rack mount route is the possiblity for drastically increased cooling
requirements if all of thoose PCs end up in the same rack.

One thing that can be suggested, that works really well for very lowcost
solutions, is to employe the commercial wire racks that are so popular
these days.    By selecting one desktop or tower case that meets your needs
a nice and very servicable installation can be had.    The shelves on
theese racks are adjustable and many are available on wheels.   I would be
the first to admit that they are not as space efficient as a rack but they
are cheap and may work well with existing hardware.

The story is quite different if you are buying new hardware.    Here you
can get different solutions that fit into one or two rack units.    Check
any of the Linux rags to see who offers what.    I would also suggest that
your'e not likely to get taken to the cleaners in the same manner that you
would when buying just a case.

Best of luck
Dave

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <chris @ email.wilsonmfg.com>
Subject: Re: Overclocking CPU
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:10:26 -0500

James Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Chris <chris @ email.wilsonmfg.com> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > It might just me a Maxtor problem.  I had the same problems as Tim in
<clip>
> Hmm, I don't know about that, because I've seen the same behaviour with
> *some* Quantum Fireballs - I think they were the ST variant, but I could be
<clip>
> with overclocking, I'd recommend them to anyone and everyone.  Oh well.

Now that you mention it (I don't get in my box very often or watch it boot) my
WD is in my kids PC.  The second drive in mine _is_ a Quantum Fireball and I did
try unplugging it when I had problems with my Maxtor to no avail.  I'm not sure
that is related to overclocking because mine wasn't when it was timing out but
now I run my Celeron 300A at 450Mhz in both Win98 and OpenLinux 2.2 with no
problems.  It only does it in Win9x with DMA turned on so either Linux doesn't
use DMA or it does it better than M$ (not saying much there).

--
Chris
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: best sound card
Date: 02 Jul 1999 19:13:09 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher) writes:

> What's the best sound card to get for linux?

As far as I can tell, the best sounding card that definitely works
under Linux is the Turtle Beach Fiji.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: please reccommend a PCI sound card....
Date: 02 Jul 1999 19:16:00 -0700

As far as I know that's not a PCI card.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: new video boards and SVGATextMode or framebuffer?
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 01:33:25 GMT

Has anyone gotten any new modern (AGP class, or PCI variants of them)
video cards to work with SVGATextMode and/or the new framebuffer driver
under Linux 2.2.X?  I'm curious which BOARDS (not chipsets) actually
can be gotten to work.  I've you've gotten one to work, then I'd be
willing to go buy one of those to try it out.  Chipset info is totally
useless, so please don't waste your time saying "get a board with XXX
chipset".

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN

From: Mike Dombrowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two SCSI Cards How-To
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 01:40:20 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Vicente) :
Hmmm, I'm no expert but my guess would be to compile it into the kernel then
add something like append="ncr8xxx=10,7" depending on your card seetings. I
don't know if this would work but I think it would.

Mike

> I have a ICP-Vortex RAID Controller which is running just fine I
> think. I've spoken to some tech support folks at penguin computing
> about adding a SCSI Tape drive in the box and my fear was confirmed
> about adding a tape onto a RAID controller. Namely, it doesn't work
> properly. The RAId is a 3-channel and since I i didn't have any drives
> on channel-c I thought I'd and no dice. Don't know why yet.
> At any rate I purchased another SCSI card a Symbios Logic chipset
> bearing ncr8xx and I assumed that i could use the ncr8xx.o module in
> my Redhat 6.0 .
> However I never see anything about the card itself on boot-up.
> Is there some source about having two scsi cards in a system.
> Would I have to compile one of the drivers into the kernel for proper
> functioning?
> When I do a insmod ncr8xx it seems to see the card ( or is this just
> standard stuff) but I don't get this on boot. Is it as simple as
> putting insmod ncr8xx into a startup script as rc.local?

Icq UIN: 11874015
Tax the churches

------------------------------

From: "Slimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Riva TNT2....
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:39:44 +0800

I am seriosly thinking of getting a Riva TNT2 card, and was wondering if the
drivers for linux are out  already or not?? If it is, can anyone please tell
me of the website where I can download it??
If it is worth mentioning, I also have a Yamaha XG3000 Sound Card but not
supported by linux, any idea how I can get it to work??

Thanks in advance and regards

shahnaz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 01:41:29 GMT

On 02 Jul 1999 17:25:14 PDT [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

| Rackmounts and racks will cost several times more than using  $35 beige
| cases and shelving.
| Its certainly not space efficient though.
| I'd like to be able stack a dozen Abit dual ppga motherboards in the one
| rack, but its not to be.

It can be done.  You can get 20 or 21 rack cases in a standard 72 inch high
relay rack.  You have to get the 2U high ones from www.tesys.com.  You're
limited to 2 PCI cards mounted on risers which angle them sideways.

But it can be done.

http://www.tesys.com/enclosures/rackmount_telepro_201.shtml

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN

From: "John D. Verne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem speed measurement
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 22:12:48 -0400

Chris Harshman wrote:

> Charles Sullivan wrote:
[...]
> >from a command line, or just fire up the stop watch.  Remember that baud
> > >is Bits per second, and the file size is bytes.  There are 8 bits in a
> > >byte, so multiply the file size by 8 and divide by the number of seconds
> > >for transfer and you should get the effective baud.  Also remember that
> > >downloads are faster then uploads for 56k modems (and ADSL, etc).
> >  <snip>
[...]
> And since when are 'baud' and 'bps' interchangeable?
> (Wonder how many people realize that the 33.6 signal
> of today is still riding on a 2400 baud carrier?)

No kidding.  This is one of those misused terms that drives me crazy.
Another fun one is "server".   And "boot".  Oh, I could go one, couldn't
I?

BTW, even Websters Collegiate Dictionary has baud wrong, or at least my
old copy does.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: hardware compatibility list (best?)
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 02:02:53 GMT

Does anyone know where the most comprehensive most up to date
hardware compatibility list is, including compatibility with
special applications such as SVGATextMode, framebuffers, and
CD recorders?

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 13:15:49 +1000

try adding

alias scsi_hostadapter ncr53c8xx

to your

/etc/conf.modules file

Tony

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 02 Jul 1999 20:31:47 -0700

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher) writes:
>
> > What's the best sound card to get for linux?
>
> As far as I can tell, the best sounding card that definitely works
> under Linux is the Turtle Beach Fiji.

...that works with free drivers, that is...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Abit BP6 (dual Celeron) ATA66-Controller?
Date: 3 Jul 1999 03:24:27 GMT

Andrew J. Norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Thank you for the info!
: Oh just a bit of triva, you've probably heard that Intel is planning on
: releasing the P-III's in a 370 package later this year....so even if they
: do disable the pin on the celerons the Abit board will still be a good
: investment!

Bad luck, pal.  It now seems clear that Intel would like to have
socket 370 stay in the low-end market, so they will also disable
the SMP capabilities of socket 370 P-IIIs.  A new socket --- 418
I believe --- will be introduced for SMP P-IIIs.

Therefore I suppose that BP6 will only work with Celerons and
nothing else.  Too bad, isn't it?

-- Chuan-kai Lin

------------------------------

From: "J. Blair" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: turtle beach soundcard...
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 22:40:40 -0500

is the turtle beach montego 2 (ada320v) compatible with linux?  i'm going to
buy a dell, and this card is one of the choices for the computer.  i asked
the rep what the chipset of the card was, to which he replied the "aureal
au8830."  does this mean anything to anybody?  is it the vortex (or the
vortex 2) chipset that's been in the newgroups for weeks now?  i can't find
any info on aureal.com to help me.  can i use oss to get it to work?
thanks for your help...
jimmy

From: Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Riva TNT2....
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:45:41 GMT

I believe the TNT, TNT2 are supported by the SVGA server right now. =20
Go to Nvidea's website for Mesa (openGL drivers).

On 7/2/99, 5:39:44 PM, "Slimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding=20
Riva TNT2....: