Linux-Hardware Digest #652, Volume #12           Mon, 10 Apr 00 10:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  device driver for PCI board (Maciej Przybycien)
  Re: AC97 codec (Martin Zabadal)
  Re: Where is my 128 MB RAM gone? ("Kris Luyten")
  modem doesn't understand "+++" with kppp (Christian Bohn)
  Oki printer... Which one? (WiNsToN2)
  Re: what CD Read/Writers are Redhat 6.1-compatible?  [FAQ?] (Johan Kullstam)
  Lexmark 3200 printer and Suse Linux 6.3 (Konrad Urlichs)
  Re: AC97 codec (Sascha Raubal)
  Re: high altitude modern systems performance ("Robert W. Cunningham")
  Re: what CD Read/Writers are Redhat 6.1-compatible?  [FAQ?] (Sven Bovin)
  Re: high altitude modern systems performance (Sven Bovin)
  Re: Where is my 128 MB RAM gone? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: high altitude modern systems performance ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Lexmark 3200 printer and Suse Linux 6.3 (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: CD-RW Software (Mark Bratcher)
  adaptec ava1505AE (Morten Pohlers)
  Re: AC97 codec (Sascha Raubal)
  Re: How to setup a dumb terminal as console (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Y2K Linux Problem?? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Print in Linux with HP Deskjet 820Cxi... is it possible? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: CD-RW Software ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Winprinter via Win-based server? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Sound Driver problems CMedia (Douglas E. Mitton)
  Rage Fury and Red Hat 6.0 (Bass)
  Re: How to setup a dumb terminal as console
  apcupsd and Back-Ups 500 (Matt Fuerst)
  Re: Y2K Linux Problem?? ("Philip Allen")
  Re: CD-RW Software (Steve Martin)
  Re: Recommendations for Preconfigured Servers? (Rod Roark)
  Re: Dell OptiPlex GXM 5166? (Steve Cousins)

From: Maciej Przybycien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: device driver for PCI board
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:45:25 +0200

Hi,
I write device driver for PCI board.

I read the following adresses from Base Address0 ...4 registers:
0xb800, 0xcc000, 0xce000, 0xb400, 0xb000
Addresses 0xb800, 0xb400, 0xb000 are I/O ports and 0xcc000, 0xce000
are memory.
However if I access memory addresses (0xcc000, 0xce000) the system
crashes.
Should I first map memory addresses in the kernel virtual space and then
access them?
How to do it?

Are all the PCI boards allowed to generate interrupt or do we need to
allow it eg. by writing to the PCI command register ?

Could anyone help?
         Maciek

------------------------------

From: Martin Zabadal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AC97 codec
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:18:28 +0200

The Nice One wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if the AC97 sound codec(onboard) is supported by
> Linux(any distribution)
>
> --
> Yours Dave Hall :-)

I solved the problem AC97 on board with newest ALSA-drivers.
I am running SuSE 6.3 on NMC KX133-Motherboard and Athlon 600MHz
overclocked
to 690MHz.

Martin

------------------------------

From: "Kris Luyten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is my 128 MB RAM gone?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:15:29 +0200

i tried to append:
 mem=128M  -> kernel panic
 "mem=128M" -> kernel panic
 'mem=128M' -> only 16meg RAM detected.

I don't get it,

------------------------------

From: Christian Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem doesn't understand "+++" with kppp
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:05:58 +0200

The modem works under win98 and linux.
Only the escape seq. ("+++") ist not understood
when sending it by kppp under linux (SuSE).
The modem just sees it as normal text and doesn't
switch to command mode.
Thanks for any help

Christian

--
 Christian Bohn, Dept. of Rendering Techniques and Application
 Institute for Media Communication  http://imk.gmd.de/reta/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (WiNsToN2)
Subject: Oki printer... Which one?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:41:02 GMT

Hi everyone. I'm going to buy a laser printer, I decided to buy an
okipage one because they are the only one at a very affordable price
my reseller has. So... Here are the choices:
okipage 4w (no memory... the pc's one)
okipage 6w (no memory... the pc's one)
okipage 8w (no memory... the pc's one)
okipage 8p (that has 2mb of memory) (this is the one I would like to
buy)

I have a redhat 6.1 and I saw that it has the driver for the oki 4w.
Do these drivers work even with the other model? If not, where can I
find them? Thanx u all

Byez

WiNsToN2

*Non ci si nasconde dietro un nick. Ci si sporge.*

Per risponedere togli ".FuckTheSpam" dall'inidirizzo
To reply remove ".FuckTheSpam" from the email

------------------------------

Subject: Re: what CD Read/Writers are Redhat 6.1-compatible?  [FAQ?]
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:04:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles L. Read) writes:

> What CD-Reader/Writers are compatible with Redhat 6.1?
> Pointers to relevant FAQs are welcome.

anything atapi or scsi is compatible with linux.

personally, i prefer plextor.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Konrad Urlichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lexmark 3200 printer and Suse Linux 6.3
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:27:01 +0200

Hi

I want to use a Lexmark 3200 printer, and I just can't find a driver for
it. Is somebody able to help me.
I'm using Suse Linux 6.3

Thanks
Konrad

------------------------------

From: Sascha Raubal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:28:00 +0200

Hi!

> I solved the problem AC97 on board with newest ALSA-drivers.
> I am running SuSE 6.3 on NMC KX133-Motherboard and Athlon 600MHz
> overclocked
> to 690MHz.

Wow! Tell me more!
Did my first own Linux installation this weekend, with SuSE 6.4, worked
really fine, but I could not find out what to do with the i810 chipset
and its sound. It should be AC97 compliant, so this ALSA-driver could be
the solution.
It's the first help I found, nowhere anything about the i810.
What have I got to do?

tia

   Sascha

--
Sascha Raubal                 mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BEANS PROJECT Software GmbH

------------------------------

From: "Robert W. Cunningham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: high altitude modern systems performance
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:41:24 GMT

Sven Bovin wrote:

> "Robert W. Cunningham" wrote:
> >
> > Of course, the smaller the circuit feature, the thinner the IC layers are, and the
>easier
> > they are for a cosmic ray to damage.  If the PIII is viewed as being made with
>pencil-width
> > lines, the 486 was made with lines as wide as sidewalks.  The larger the design
>feature, the
> > "harder" the circuit will be.
> >

> I have one tiny problem with your explanation: why would
> the new Dells fail, while the old 486 does not ?

Learn to read, and all will be revealed.

-BobC

------------------------------

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:51:46 +0100

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles L. Read) writes:
>
> > What CD-Reader/Writers are compatible with Redhat 6.1?
> > Pointers to relevant FAQs are welcome.
>
> anything atapi or scsi is compatible with linux.

_Newer_ atapi or scsi is compatible (has something to do
with some sort of command set that has to be understood, I
always forget the name of it).

> personally, i prefer plextor.

 Sven BOVIN                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 labo kwantumchemie |IJzerenmolenstr 26|
 Celestijnenln 200F |   bus 116        |Wampenberg 88
 B-3001 HEVERLEE    |B-3001 HEVERLEE   |B-2370 ARENDONK
  Belgium           | Belgium          |Belgium
 tel +32(0)16 327380|                  |tel +32(0)14 678310
 fax +32(0)16 327992|                  |fax +32(0)14 678310

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:58:18 +0100

"Robert W. Cunningham" wrote:

> Sven Bovin wrote:
>
> > "Robert W. Cunningham" wrote:
> > >
> > > Of course, the smaller the circuit feature, the thinner the IC layers > > > are,
>and the easier
> > > they are for a cosmic ray to damage.  If the PIII is viewed as being
> > > made with pencil-width
> > > lines, the 486 was made with lines as wide as sidewalks.  The larger
> > > the design feature, the
> > > "harder" the circuit will be.
> > >

> > I have one tiny problem with your explanation: why would
> > the new Dells fail, while the old 486 does not ?
>
> Learn to read, and all will be revealed.
>
> -BobC

Hmm, indeed, I should have paid closer attention.  But even
in that case, how about cumulative radiation damage and/or
effective cross section of radiation damage (don't know
whether that's the proper term, what I mean is the effect of
radiation damage in a structure on its immediate
surroundings in that structure, a bit like debris sprayed
from an impact crater of a meteorite or artillery shell) ?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Apr 2000 11:49:22 GMT

Kris Luyten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: i tried to append:
:  mem=128M  -> kernel panic
:  "mem=128M" -> kernel panic
:  'mem=128M' -> only 16meg RAM detected.

: I don't get it,

Try disabling the memory hole at 16MB that your bios has put there!

Or test your memory. Or use

  append="mem=127M"

or other numbers until you find which bit of your memory is good.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: 10 Apr 2000 12:04:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Robert W. Cunningham" wrote:
:> Sven Bovin wrote:
:> > "Robert W. Cunningham" wrote:
:> > > Of course, the smaller the circuit feature, the thinner the IC layers > > >
:are, and the easier
:> > > they are for a cosmic ray to damage.  If the PIII is viewed as being
:> > I have one tiny problem with your explanation: why would
:> > the new Dells fail, while the old 486 does not ?
:> Learn to read, and all will be revealed.

: Hmm, indeed, I should have paid closer attention.  But even
: in that case, how about cumulative radiation damage and/or
: effective cross section of radiation damage (don't know

All worse the more closely packed the circuitry is.

Well, that was my extra line! This one is just padding ...

Peter

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark 3200 printer and Suse Linux 6.3
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:45:49 -0400

Konrad,

The Lexmark 3200 (one of which I have as well) is a Windows-only
printer. Won't work on Linux.

You need a printer that accepts PCL/3c (HP DeskJet compatible) or Epson.
Some of the Canons are Windows-only and some aren't.

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW Software
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:46:50 -0400

Read the CD-Writing-HOWTO. If you installed the documentation on your
machine, it's under /usr/doc/HOWTO. Otherwise, search the web and you'll
find it easily (eg, at www.linux.com).

------------------------------

From: Morten Pohlers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: adaptec ava1505AE
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:45:51 +0200

I try to run an ADAPTEC AVA1505AE PNP SCSI-controller.
Isapnp initialises the controller at 0x140, IRQ 9 and reports OK.

When I try to load the aha152x module with
>modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x0140,9

I get the following kernel message:
Apr 10 15:05:54 Bredon kernel: aha152x: detected 1 controller(s)
Apr 10 15:05:54 Bredon kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140,
IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled,
synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
Apr 10 15:05:54 Bredon kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, lost.
Apr 10 15:05:54 Bredon kernel: aha152x: IRQ 9 possibly wrong.  Please
verify.
Apr 10 15:05:54 Bredon kernel: scsi : 0 hosts.

On stdout
>aha152x: resource or device busy
appears.

------------------------------

From: Sascha Raubal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:39:59 +0200

Ahm.....

After posting this I found something about an ALSA-configuration with
yast or yast2.
I'll try that and if it fails, I'll ask again.

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How to setup a dumb terminal as console
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:49:29 -0400

Chan,

There is a specific config option in the kernel (even 2.2.14) indicating
whether you want to do console over a TTY port. By default, it's
probably turned off.

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Y2K Linux Problem??
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:51:34 -0400

Philip,

ALot of folks on the NG are still running Linux after Feb 2000 with no
complaints, so I'm sure it's not a Linux Y2K problem.

When you say the date is a seemingly "random value", what value is it?
Is it always different each time? Have you made any other kernel changes
since February?

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Print in Linux with HP Deskjet 820Cxi... is it possible?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:56:39 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Have the exact printer here and it won't even work hooked up to a jetdirect
> box. It is a winprinter and needs to be hooked up to a windows box to
> function. I just installed some print server software on the windows machine
> to print to it via the linux machines.

That sounds promising. Can you tell us what the name of the print server
software is and where you got it?

Thanks.
Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:49:23 GMT

This topic is a bit complex to try to solve while not sitting in front
of my linux box, The best thing to do is go to "www.metalab.unc.edu" and
 click on the linux docs hyperlink and then howto. (Use whatever format
you are comfortable with) and find CD-Writer-HOWTO. There is a bit of
setup so read it carefully.

jollyroger

> hi,
> this may seem like a strange question but I have looked all over the
net
> virtually looking for a programme to run my IDE Hewlett-Packard CD
> rewriter.(it's a bore having to use Windows 95 to cut things)
> If anyone can help me my rewriter is: Hewlett-Packard CD-writer plus
> series 9100
> it is connected as secondary slave and works beautifully on my '95
> petition.
>
> Please help
> Robert

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winprinter via Win-based server?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:14:40 -0400

Hi.

I thought I had read somewhere (or perhaps just dreamed it) that there
is a piece of software "out there somewhere" that can enable a Linux box
to talk to a Windows box as a print server to a Winprinter. If I recall,
the software would take PostScript run through GhostScript and out to
the Windows "system printer" driver.

Anyone know of this?

Thanks.
Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas E. Mitton)
Subject: Re: Sound Driver problems CMedia
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:19:23 GMT

I also have the 599LMR (2 actually, they were so inexpensive I bought
one for my kids).

Kernel 2.2.14 has these drivers all included in the source ... as
well, Mandrake 7 recognized everything and auto-magically configured
sound, video and the NIC for me.  Of course the WinModem is not
working.

If you find out how to get the modem running, please post as I'd like
to experiment with that as well.

The "patches" work fine too

On 08 Apr 2000 14:29:35 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dragos A.
Manolescu) wrote:

>gw> Hi all I've been trying to get my C-Media SoundPro HT8738A Onboard
>gw> Sound to work in redhat.
>
>gw> Has anybody else had any luck sofar.
>
>[...]
>
>I have an m599lmr with the same chipset. I use Chen-Li Tien's CMedia
>driver (http://www.cmedia.com.tw/8x38/linux/cmpci-2.41.tar.gz) with
>kernel 2.2.14 (I didn't know that 2.2.14 already includes support for
>CM8x38?). Just follow the directions in the README file and you'll get
>(from cmpci.c):
>
> *  /dev/dsp    standard /dev/dsp device, (mostly) OSS compatible
> *  /dev/mixer  standard /dev/mixer device, (mostly) OSS compatible
> *  /dev/midi   simple MIDI UART interface, no ioctl
>
>Note that there's no /dev/sndstat.
>
>Everything that I've tried works just fine--mpg123, mixers, real
>audio, esd, ksound, etc., except speak_freely. I also tried the
>commercial OSS drivers and they work fine with speak_freely.
>
>If there are any other options for the CM8738 besides Chen-Li Tien's
>and the commercial OSS, I'd also like to know.
>
>HTH,
>
>-Dragos

The FACTS are my Employers, OPINIONS are my own!

Sorry: SPAM reduction project in progress:
       Remove the "x." from my domain to reply!

From: Bass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rage Fury and Red Hat 6.0
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:22:10 GMT

Hi,

i tested many solutions but unable to configure my ATI Rage Fury to
work with red hat linux 6.0

Thanks for any help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 10 Apr 2000 13:33:19 GMT

please read serial.faq (LDP howto)

From: Matt Fuerst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: apcupsd and Back-Ups 500
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:40:48 -0400

Greetings all,

I am looking forward greatly to installing the apcupsd onto our server. We have
an APC Back-Ups 500 connected to a RedHat server machine right now, with no UPS
software running. Not the greatest of ideas. Anyways, we have the UPS connected
to our box via the "standard" cable that I believe was supplied with the UPS
Box. I was just wondering what you would recommend for the "cable" switch in
the setup of apcupsd. I was thinking simple, but am not sure.

Thanks for any help you can give, or any information on experiences you have
had with apcupsd!

Matt Fuerst

From: "Philip Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:43:53 -0500

Mark,

Yes, I have a hard time believing it's Linux also, it just seems weird that
booting to "dos" works.

The "random" value used to look something like "early a month ago", e.g.
during March, it would often boot and set to something like Feb 2, 2000, in
April it would say March 2 (or there abouts), with no consistency to the
time as far as I could see.  I rebuilt the kernel yesterday to support a new
NIC, and now the value comes up Dec 25, 2030 (or somewhere around there)
each time I reboot (which is REALLY screwing up builds if I don't catch it
right away!)

You asked if I had rebuilt the kernel since February - the date/time on my
the kernel (prior to the new one built yesterday) is February 15...hmmm.
But I'm not sure what I would have changed that would have affected this.  I
believe the changes were made to make an EIDE CD-RW appear as a SCSI device.

Any ideas?  I would aim squarely at the BIOS and just replace the box if it
had the same date/time problem in DOS (and although it's an older P133, it
serves nicely as a firewall/router).

Thanks for your response,

Philip

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:54:41 -0400

> this may seem like a strange question but I have looked all over the net
> virtually looking for a programme to run my IDE Hewlett-Packard CD
> rewriter.

As has been mentioned, you should read the CD-Writing HOWTO. However,
I'd point out that this doc (and many more) now reside at the
home of the Linux Documentation Project, www.linuxdoc.org.

BTW, I have an HP writer here, and it works like a charm under
RH6 (once I read the docs and figured out how to do it).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Roark)
Subject: Re: Recommendations for Preconfigured Servers?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:57:13 GMT

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 00:07:18 -0600, Jon Lybrook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I'm looking at options for a webserver preconfigured with RH 6.1 for my work.  Dell
>has
>some robust, but pricey options I've found.  This webserver will be responsible for
>serving up a few dozen pages perhaps, and some hefty 80MB data downloads.
>
>Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

You don't need much for that.  Maybe a Celeron box with 256M RAM and
IDE hard drives.  If you have incoming transactions you may want a
pair of mirrored drives (using software RAID 1) and/or a drive in a
removable carrier for backup.

If you're doing compute-intensive stuff at the server, then a dual PIII
board like the SuperMicro P6DBE or Asus P2B might be in order.  But
it doesn't sound like you need to spend big bucks on SCSI and hardware
RAID.

By the way Red Hat 6.2 is out now.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Steve Cousins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell OptiPlex GXM 5166?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:06:20 -0400

Bill Crocker wrote:

> Would a Dell OptiPlex GXM 5166, (Pentium 166, 32-MB RAM, 6-GB Hard Drive,
> S3Trio64V+), be a decent platform to start learning/working with Linux?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Crocker

I used a bunch of these as production DHCP/DNS servers.  They are good
machines for linux.  I never used the sound or video on them but I'm sure
the S3 cards are well supported in Linux.

 Steve Cousins                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Research Associate            Phone: (207) 581-4302
 Ocean Modeling Group
 School of Marine Sciences     208 Libby Hall
 University of Maine           Orono, Maine 04469