From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: CD Tower Not Being Completely Recognized by Linux
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:53:08 GMT

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:13:24 +0200, "Jeffrey Willemsen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Mark Post" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote ...

>> The unit has a label on the back that says "Procom Technology CDT7-4X
>Plus."
>> When the SCSI module (advansys.o) is loaded, it tells me that it is a "CMD
>> TEC, Model SCEA-2000, Rev A6Z, type (31) Unknown"

>This tower seems to have an interface card inside (the SCEA-2000) that has
>two SCSI channels. One channel is connected inside the tower and all CD-ROM
>drives have a seperate ID number. The other SCSI channel is the one at the
>back you connect your computer to. The card is used to convert all connected
>CD-ROM drives with their seperate SCSI-IDs to a single SCSI ID number with
>multiple LUN numbers so a tower with 6 or 7 CD-ROM units won't use up all
>your SCSI ID numbers at the PC. This interface even has a serial port to
>wich you can connect a terminal and change some elements in the setup :-)
That's how the (scant) documentation from the manufacturer seems to describe
it, so it looks like we're in agreement here.

>> I specified in my kernel parameters (2.2.14) that all LUNs should be
>probed,
>> but I'm only seeing LUN 0 reported.

>It should report all LUN's ... you are sure there is only 1 SCSI connection
>at the back of the tower so you connected to the correct SCSI channel?
There are two connectors, so that a daisychain to another device can be
done.  I have the 'outgoing' cable going to a CDR device.  Plugging it into
a Sun Sparc workstation gets all the LUNs reported, but even that doesn't
quite know what kind of device is being attached.

>> Can anyone point me in the right direction for further research, or offer

>I can provide you with more information on the SCEA-2000 interface that is
>inside the tower if you like .. just mail me back at
>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any help/information I can get will be appreciated.  You can either email me
or post it here for whomever else might be interested.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for SYM53C1010
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:50:49 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>
> From where I can find support for SYM53C1010 card in Redhat6.2 and 7.0.

It should be supported by a  current version of the sym53C8xx driver (
but not by the ncr53C8xx or ncr53C7,8xx driver).
Read/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.ncr53c8xx to know, if the driver
coming with your distribution supports it.
--
Markus Kossmann

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: nvidia
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:20:36 GMT

I'm trying to get the nvidia drivers working in Linux.  I keep getting
an error when I try to compile the kernel module.  I appreciate any
help resolving this.

Darren

Here is the exact error message:

[root@bigdaddy /root]# cd /usr/local/src/NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-5
[root@bigdaddy NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-5]# make
rm -f nv.o os-interface.o os-registry.o Module-linux NVdriver
cc -c -Wall -Wunknown-pragmas -Wno-multichar -O  -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE
-D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DUNIX -DLINUX -DNV4_HW -DNTRM -DRM20 -D_X86_=1
-Di386=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES
-I. -I/usr/src/linux/include nv.c
In file included from nv.c:52:
nv.h:131: warning: #warning This driver is not officially supported on
post-2.2
kernels
nv.c: In function `nv_lock_pages':
nv.c:551: warning: implicit declaration of function `virt_to_page'
nv.c:551: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a
cast
nv.c:555: array subscript is not an integer
nv.c:556: array subscript is not an integer
nv.c: In function `nv_unlock_pages':
nv.c:579: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a
cast
nv.c:583: array subscript is not an integer
nv.c:589: array subscript is not an integer
make: *** [nv.o] Error 1

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Suse and ATI Rage 128
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:24:06 -0400

I am trying to install, with great difficulty, the above distro.  Although
indicated on and in the box, my video card is not supported (They "forgot"
to include it ).  It would seem all I need is the Xrage.rpm.  But the damn
thing can't be found ! I've looked high and low for it!  Can someone either
drop me a word or two , or even send me as an  attachment?  Of course, if
you have any suggestions or think I am totally of track regarding installing
support for the ATI Rage Fury 128, drop me a line at:

   Stephen

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suse and ATI Rage 128
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:09:07 GMT

Stephen wrote:

> I am trying to install, with great difficulty, the above distro.  Although
> indicated on and in the box, my video card is not supported (They "forgot"
> to include it ).  It would seem all I need is the Xrage.rpm.  But the damn
> thing can't be found ! I've looked high and low for it!  Can someone either
> drop me a word or two , or even send me as an  attachment?  Of course, if
> you have any suggestions or think I am totally of track regarding installing
> support for the ATI Rage Fury 128, drop me a line at:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Regards,
>
>    Stephen

You should check the XFree86 web site:

 http://www.xfree86.org/

but it is my understanding that you will need XF86 v. 4.0.1 to use your card.

The new version does have support for it.

Driver is: r128

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA-Driver (IDE) 4 ASUS K7M
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:16:37 GMT

Tom Assmuth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im using Athlon 650 with an ASUS K7M board
> I wonder how i should get my IDE-device run at adequate speed.
> As I looked up in the mainboard - Manual:
> "South Bridge System Chipset: VIA VT82C686A PCIset with PCI Super I/O
> integrated peripheral cnotroller supports UltraDMA/66, which allows
> brust mode data transfers rates up to 66.6 MB/sec."
>

> That seems to be all right.
> But as i copy files from a scsi - volume (which is definately capable to
> write 8MB/s) to this ide-drive, performance is at 4,5 MB/sec. if i copy
> data within the ide-drive it's only 2,1 MB/sec.
> That seems slow. But the worst thing is, as the ide - drive is been
> written - you cannot work any-more. Mouse jumps and you cannot even move
> windows. Also load goes up to 5 or more.
>
> Does anyone experienced the same? Or even better - got a solution or a
> hint for me??
> Is there a switch i overlooked?
> ;-)
>
> Thanks tom

No.  I believe that you will need to get the ide patch to use DMA66 mode.

This is available from:

 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

You might want to go to Kernel v. 2.2.16 or newer as well.

JRT

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:13:30 -0600
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP and IDE LOST INTERRUPT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter J King) wrote:
> > I am running redhat 6.2 on and gigabyte GA-586DX
> board with dual
> > pentium 200 MMX cpu. The non-smp kernel works
> fine. When I use the smp
> > kernel I get randomn lost interrupts on ide disk
> access.
> >
> > During a copy of the kernel source I would
> average 5 lost interrupts.
> >
> > Anyone come across this before? Any help on
> where to look for an
> > answer would be appreciated.
> >
> > I have tried 2.2.17 kernel with the same result.
> >
> I'm running a GA-586DX board with a 2.4.0-test8
> kernel and got similar problems under high
> interrupt load with an SMP kernel. The logfile
> shows tons of messages like:
> APIC error on CPU#: 02(00)
> APIC error on CPU#: 04(00)
> APIC error on CPU#: 08(00)
> This was already disussed in the lkml. These error
> messages are enabled since 2.3.xx and they
> indicate crc errors on the APIC bus, so it seems
> that it's a hardware problem.
> BTW, my systems freezes after 8-12 hours of under
> heavy load - seems that not all errors are covered
> by the crc error  detection.

I know this is a problem with the i840 chipset (big time). I'm wondering
which chipset this particular motherboard uses, since he mentions only a
200 MMX pentium. One suggestion for the people having APIC errors
(mentioned by Alan Cox a while back as a workaround), boot with the
kernel option "noapic". The irqs won't get sent to both cpu's after
that, but otherwise both cpu's get used. Apparently the APIC can send an
irq into never-never land if it isn't fully supported, but work for a
while before it dies. If you have a kernel label 2.2.5-smp, for example,
at the lilo prompt hit tab, then:
2.2.5-smp noapic

This would be a particularly useful test for the original poster, or
anyone with a troublesome i840 chipset board.

------------------------------

From: "Gary Jukes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unable to find drive
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:41:33 +0930

Hi all, I'll get straight to the point.

When I'm trying to install either Redhat 6.2 or 7, when I hit next after
choosing my type of install, it comes up with an error message.  I didn't
think to write it down at the time  =(

However it basically says that it can't find anywhere to put the Linux
files, check your hardware configuration and try again.  I've got the Abit
KT7 Raid board, which has the HPT370 controller.  I'm just wondering, how
can I apply the patch that's needed, if I can't install Linux?  I really
want to get Linux up and running.

Thanks
Gary

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:23:32 -0600
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up a joystick in Suse 7.0

The sblive is not actually activated by the normal register at 0x201;
this is actually a mirror for compatibility. I think that in all of the
models that are even remotely new, it was enabled by default, but the
early revisions didn't do so. Some of the earlier emu10k1 modules didn't
try to enable the joystick, thinking it was already enabled (various
revisions fixed this). So if you have the wrong version of emu10k1,
combined with an older revision sblive (I think rev 5 or earlier), it
might still fail to be enabled. In which case try the latest cvs
snapshot from the http://opensource.create.com page. There is also a
developer section you could post info to.

However, try this in order shown, as root:
insmod emu10k1-joy io=0x200
insmod joystick
insmod joy-logitech

If that fails, get the latest cvs; if it still fails, monitor
/var/log/messages while you try to load things (such as with tail -f -n
30 /var/log/messages) and send the results to the emu10k1 devel list
(check out opensource.creative.com for the list).

------------------------------

From: "No Problem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH7 with ATA66
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:01:02 +0800

I got 1 harddisk(ATA66 with HPT366 chipset) only.
How could I install Redhat7?
It seems that Redhat7 could not find my harddsik.

Thank you

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7 with ATA66
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:49:40 GMT

No Problem wrote:

> I got 1 harddisk(ATA66 with HPT366 chipset) only.
> How could I install Redhat7?
> It seems that Redhat7 could not find my harddsik.
>
> Thank you

 http://freshmeat.net/projects/redhatata66100installdisk/?highlight=Red+Hat+7

JRT

------------------------------

From: "No Problem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 17:17:29 +0800

First of all, thanks for your help!!!

After I downloaded the install disk, I installed RH7 succesfully.
Then I use "loadlin rh70-2.4.bootkernel.img" to boot the RH7.
However, it still can't find my harddisk.

What should I do?

------------------------------

From: "Peter Green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tekram d390:kernel 2.4 test8
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:45:56 +0200

Hye,

the DC390 works fine with a kernel 2.2.13

K2.4 test-8
when  i tried to load the modules scsi_mod OK
when i load the module tmscsim the system freeze !!!
I tried the last drivers but the result is same

Help me

thanks

------------------------------

From: Scott Schumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using IDE CDROM and CDRW drives at the same time
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:07:00 +0000

Steve,

I need help too.  I added a HP7220 CDRW drive to my RH6.1 system.  Already
had a CDROM.  Upon reboot
Linux labeled CDRW as hdd and older CDROM as hdc.  I can mount to both
drives using Linux conf
/dev/hdc or /dev/hdd.  Its an IDE drive BTW but I simply dont understand
the next set instructions.  Can you shed some light on these?
I never compiled a kernal just installed software.

really appreciate any help with kernal and conf.module

-Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Modem problem
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 07:55:57 GMT

Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>--------------586564A5A1AC5AFE6BABE1A4

Please stop that. Now.

>Hi there,

>1. Did you turn off PnP OS in BIOS? If not make it turn off.

Irrelevant.

>2. Do not expect that modem will on /dev/stty3 as it should be COM4.
>    In my case I found it as /dev/stty1. Linux grab first available port.

Irrelavant, and misleading. The serial port is /dev/ttyS3, in this
scenario.

>3. Try next script

[...]

Useless, for the same reason.

>Andrey

>Giles Turner wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an old 14.4kbs modem attached to my serial port. I got the card
>> off a friend who has had it working under linux (so it's not a
>> winmodem). The card works fine on my dual boot machine under the Evil
>> Empire (98 edition) but not under linux.
>>
>> The card is attached to COM4, with irq of 3, port address of 0x02e8 and
>> uart of 16550A according to Windoze.

Two things:

a) Classical IRQ problem. You have configured a /dev/ttyS3 port with
   the IRQ of /dev/ttyS1, which will most probably not work (unless
   you disabled the secondary onboard port in the system's BIOS).
   Set the port's IRQ to something unused, like e.g. IRQ 5, if there's
   a jumper on the card to do that.

b) Just adding the card is not enough. You'll have to use the
   "setserial" command to tell Linux about the actual settings
   of the serial port. See "man setserial" for details.

>> When linux starts (SuSE 6.4) it detects the serial ports with the same
>> information as above. Using YaST I have linked /dev/modem to
>> /dev/ttyS03, not that its that important but I have done it anyway.

If you really linked it to /dev/ttyS03, then it's pointing nowhere,
as a /dev/ttyS03 does not exist. Delete the link and link /dev/modem
to /dev/ttyS3 instead.

>> Then I have tried to use wvdial to autodetect the card and that comes up
>> with nothing, it just cycles through the baud rates for each port and
>> detects nothing.

[...]

Use minicom instead.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Schenaerts Michaël" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Blaster Vibra 16
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 18:24:55 +0200

How to get this damn card working under Suse 6.2 with kernel 2.2.16 ????
Thanx