Linux-Hardware Digest #25, Volume #10            Wed, 14 Apr 99 16:13:47 EDT

Contents:
  DFE-500TX network card drivers (Jason Reece)
  Re: Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system? (westonpa)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (westprog)
  Dual processors ("Matthew Wilby")
  Re: Video card recommendation for Linux X server ("David Murray")
  Re: Webcam recommendation? ("David Murray")
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (westprog)
  Re: x11amp crashing... ("David Murray")
  Dell Optiplex use both video cards? (Dave Wortman)
  Re: TNT in Linux? ("M.C. van den Bovenkamp")
  HD help me (Xdrom02)
  Linux, here I come... ("René Fournier")
  Re: Amd-k6-2 (Peter Depuydt)
  Re: NE2000 compatible card - how to setup? ("David Murray")
  Re: Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system? (Markus Wandel)
  Re: Support for CD changers? (Johannes Niess)
  Re: Video card recommendation for Linux X server (Janos Ero)
  HP NetRAID SCSI controller and related R8 disk storage ("VIDM")
  Re: need reccs for new motherboard and ultra wide scsi HW for Linux (Keith)
  16GB hardrive-problems with fdisk ("John Castillo")
  Creative Pci64 unsupported ?? (Rob v.d. Meer)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (westprog)
  Re: 3com / US robotics 56K ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Looking for reliable Linux system vendor (Gotthard Saghi-Szabo)

From: Jason Reece <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DFE-500TX network card drivers
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:03:04 +0100

Has anyone got a driver for the D-Link DFE-500TX network card

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (westonpa)
Subject: Re: Mac SCSI Scanner on a Linux _PC_ SCSI system?
Date: 14 Apr 1999 11:12:47 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel) writes:

[snip]

>In Linux, you're on your own for drivers anyway, and it's assumed you're smart
>enough to install a generic SCSI card and find the right cable, so it just
>comes down to can you find a driver program for the scanner.  I wasn't too
>impressed with SANE 1.0 when I tried it, but I found a very nice standalone
>program called "epscan" for my current Epson scanner (had to patch it, mail
>me if you need that particular info.)

What Epson scanner is it?

------------------------------

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:20:01 GMT

In article <7f004h$1f2f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
> In article <7ev7uv$m12$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> westprog  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >One of the first things we learn when we are being taught to read is that
> >Bob, BOB, and bob are the same word.
>
> Well, there is your problem.  I learned instead that there is a correct
> place for capitals and that misusing them is a mistake.

Then you will no doubt be aware that the correct place for capitals is a
property of the context rather than the word itself. "BOB" is quite correct
on a billboard or headline. "bOB" is always wrong. "bob" is wrong for a
proper name, but not otherwise.

J.

From: "Matthew Wilby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual processors
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:21:13 +0100

If i wanted to dedicate a dual processor system to SuSE linux, would it
support it and would there be much in the way of improvement when compared
to a single CPU board?

Cheers

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video card recommendation for Linux X server
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:27:56 GMT

Just look for the cheapest brand of card available that has an S3 chipset
on it.. I have almost always used S3 trio cards and it has always worked..
I have a Number Nine card at home which was considered an expensive card
and here at work my cheap-o video card has the same darned chipset and all
the same features... I think some of the newer ones are more flakey.. but a
standard S3 is great..
--DavidM

Theo van der Merwe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7f03l3$s2i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Webcam recommendation?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:29:47 GMT

I recommend a Connectix (logitech) Quickcam... They don't make them anymore
(well, not the Parallel port ones) but the grayscale and the color
quickcams are easily found in used stores and computer fleemarkets.. they
are usually cheap (like $50 or less) and have excellent support under
Linux..
--DavidM

JEK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article <7evlfv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:14:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  GAZZA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> westprog wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >
> > One of the first things we learn when we are being taught to read
> > is that Bob, BOB, and bob are the same word. This is quite a major
> > conceptual breakthrough, and it takes a lot of hard work.
>
> Do you have any evidence that this is a "major breakthrough"? I
> certainly can't recall any sleepless nights as a young'un wondering
> if "bob" and "BOB" were the same person.

Like most things we learn in the first few years of life, these are
enormously difficult concepts which we take for granted later. The ability to
interpret a range of different symbols as having the same meaning is one of
many examples of how much smarter humans are than computers.

> > There are very good reasons for this, based on hundreds of years of
> > experience. For example "My car is nice. I love my car." We don't
> > even have to think about whether "My" and "my" are equivalent, and
> > that the capital "M" is there for readability.

> So what? DOS isn't English; Unix isn't English. If that's what
> you're attempting to prove, then well done. Otherwise your analogy
> is not particularly apt.

As long as we use readable English text, we benefit from using the same
conventions, where appropriate.

> > It is only in the strange world of Unix that we have to unlearn
> > this.

> ... as well as (I'd guess) 50%+ of programming languages.

Fortran? Pascal? ADA? Assembler (any that I have worked with)? DCL? Basic?
Only languages from the C family (C, C++, Java, Perl) are case-sensitive in
my experience. (Not that I claim to know more than a handful).

> Are you
> completely against case sensitivity, even in (say) C or Perl?

Yes, except in the special case where a language operates on its own tokens
and text strings interchangeably. (Not a common situation).

> The problem is that humans aren't the only ones reading or creating
> files. Suppose I have a program that generates a configuration file
> after asking the user a few basic questions. Now, if there's already
> a configuration file there, I want to (at least) rename it to a
> backup (or possibly prompt the user for an overwrite, or whatever).
> Let's say that I know the configuration file is called "config.txt".
> If case is important, I can simply write a program to search a
> directory listing for "config.txt". If case is NOT important, I have
> to be careful to also match "Config.TXT" (typically, I suppose I'd
> uppercase the whole directory listing first). It's an extra step
> that really doesn't buy you very much, IMHO.

Search case-insensitive. Every string library has it, even C.

> I'm wondering why there's even an argument, to be honest. I'd
> imagine the type of people that complain that "MyFilename.txt"
> doesn't match "myFileName.txt" are the type that would typically
> use a GUI File Manager of some description anyway. Certainly I'm
> too lazy to type that out in full; that's what filename completion
> is for.

GUI's just mask the problem to a limited extent. Name completion doesn't work
for myfilename if the file is called MyFileName.

> > > The reason for using case sensitivity in an OS is that the ASCII
> > > character has 256 distinct characters and 't' is not the same
> > > character as 'T'.

> > In other words, the Unix OS is too lazy to do a one-line conversion
> > that every other OS I know does as a matter of routine. It forces the
> > user to conform to its method of coding characters.

> What OSes do a "one-line conversion"?

One line of C. Equivalent code in any other language.

> It sounds suspiciously like
> you're suggesting if I name a file "gazza.txt" it should store it
> as "GAZZA.TXT" the way DOS used to do.

No, it should store it as gazza.txt, and retrieve gazza.txt when I enter
GAZZA.txt . Case preservation, not sensitivity.

> Even the other poster who
> supported case-insensitivity agreed that the OS should still
> PRESERVE the case of the filename - even if it didn't matter.

Exactly.

> OTOH, if you're suggesting that every Unix application go through
> an extra level of indirection (ie a case-insensitive string match)
> just to identify files, then I respectfully disagree.

Would you like to compare the cost of a case insensitive compare (the
conversion is, as I said, one line of C) with the time taken to read a
directory or take input from a keyboard? Negligible, IMHO.

> > > It is not good for the OS to decide that when I typed
> > > MyFirstProgram.java that Myfirs~1.jav is a better name.
> > > The worst thing about windows is that if I enter a file name
> > > bob.java, explorer automatically changes that to Bob.jav.
> > [rest of horrors of Windows file system deleted]

> > Well duh - Windows short file names are crap. We all knew that. Do
> > you really need the ability to have two files, one called
> > MyfirstProgram.java and another called MyFirstProgram.java?
>
> Maybe not, but I often need files like:

> xxxA.dat
> xxxB.dat
> xxxZ.dat
> xxx[.dat
> xxx\.dat
> xxx].dat
> xxx^.dat
> xxx_.dat
> xxx`.dat
> xxxa.dat
> xxxb.dat

> and so forth (that is, autogenerated filenames that simply step
> through ASCII to generate the next one). It's a nice feature of
> Unix that even special characters like quotes, spaces and the like
> CAN be part of a filename. It's true that humans see little use
> for this, but they do allow some nice tricks for computer-generated
> filenames. It would be a shame, IMHO, to remove this facility.

char filename[2];

filename[0] = 'A';
filename[1] = 'A';
filename[2] = 0;

for(int i=0;i<NUMFILES;i++)
{
   // write the file
  c[0]++;
  if (c[0] > 'Z') {c[1]++; c[0] = 'A'};
};

Sensible filenames with a tiny block of code (albeit scribbled down and
untested).

J.

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: x11amp crashing...
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:22:23 GMT

I use X11amp on two different machines, one is Slackware with a
SoundBlaster 16 (old) and RedHat5.2 with a Sound Blaster 16 PnP... Both
work fine.. X11amp DOES stop playing sometimes and I have to kill the
process, but NEVER does it crash my OS.  In fact about the only thing that
can crash Linux is a hardware issue.. so I am willing to bet there is
something unique (not neccissarily defective) about your setup that Linux
doesn't like.   I've seen weird things on my friends system where Windows
95 would work fine but Linux would always crash and burn when doing a
specific function in a program but after we replaced his motherboard (kept
same CPU, memory, etc..) it worked fine.. So some hardware configurations
can be problematic I've found even if they appear to work.
--DavidM

Michael Bannister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Okay, this may not be the right place to post this but I'm getting
> VERY fustrated. Scenario: At the begining of the school year I installed
> slackware on my machine off the internet. My sound card is a Yamaha
> OPL/3 whatever built into my intel motherboard (PII 233). Since
> I couldn't get sound working I shelled out the 20 bucks to get the OSS
> auto-install driver from 4front. It installed easily and I had sound.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Wortman)
Subject: Dell Optiplex use both video cards?
Date: 14 Apr 99 13:54:48 GMT

Dell Optiplex GXa with ATI Rage Pro video card on motherboard and optional
Matrox Millenium II card in AGP slot.
- has anyone found a way to use *both* video cards at the same time.
  So far it seems that the Millenium card takes precedence and makes the
  ATI card unusable.
- does anyone know how to make the Phoenix BIOS select the ATI card on
  the motherboard as the default card at bootup?  I haven't found a BIOS
  setup option for this.

------------------------------

From: "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TNT in Linux?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:44:20 +0200

Carlie Coats wrote:

> Get XFree86 version 3.3.3 or later and it is supported under the SVGA
> driver (you need the text-mode xf86config for 3.3.3 as well, the last
> time I checked).

Nope. XF86Setup + card database will work too (the 3.3.3.1 ones
anyways). The Diamond Viper 550 is in there, as is Generic Riva TNT. Not
that it matters for the resulting XF86Config which one you pick, though.

                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BZK 32
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724
        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Xdrom02)
Subject: HD help me
Date: 14 Apr 1999 13:27:22 GMT

I need help,
I have lost my begining of HD Western Digital 730MB (WD 2700 or something like
this). I have tried to connect another HD, but I failed.
After this my old HD didnīt boot (Drive not ready). This disk has 2 fractions
(by fdisk).
                please help me to restore it!
                                        Michal

From: "René Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,at.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup
Subject: Linux, here I come...
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:12:53 +0400

But first, I need to repartition my hard drive, and before I accidentally
kill a wholelotta data, I like to ask y'all a few questions.

First, I "think" I want four partitions on my 10gig drive (running a Dell
350, 128MB RAM, ATI RagePro):

3GB: NT (work)
2GB: Win98 (play)
1GB: Linux/BeOS/Who-knows-what (learn)
4GB: Data (me)

Is this, in your opinion, a reasonable allocation of disk space? I'm only
using Win98 now, so I'm not sure what NT needs/wants for disk space. I
intend to put all my main apps (web design, graphics, 3D, Office) on the NT
partition, and leave Win98 for games only. The data partition will be just
for my docs and MP3s.  The idea here is, if one partition/OS misbehaves, I
can just format it and reinstall, without worrying about my data (right?
:-).

Now, I've heard of stories of people having problems installing Linux on a
box which already has NT (and vice versa). Apparently something to do with
primary and extended partitions, etc. I'm not sure. What would you guys, in
your infinite technical wisdom, suggest I do to partition my drive as above
and install these OSes? (And in which order?)

Presently, I have only Win98 (4gig) on my primary partion, and another 6gig
partition that's empty (and which can be resliced). I have 1gig of data on
this drive which I can't backup (I live in Russia now, without
tape/zip/anything), so I'll need to shuffle that data from parition to
partition as I repartition my drive and install these OSes.

Any suggestions, advice, roadmaps, or guidelines would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

...Rene

--
"I can't give you a brain,
but I can give you a diploma."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Depuydt)
Subject: Re: Amd-k6-2
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:01:22 GMT

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:08:20 +0200, Jaco Portheine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am considering buying a AMD-k6-2-400 but am unsure about
>compatibility with linux any help on this???

Hello,

I'd saygo ahead :-)

I'm running a K6/2-400 clocked at 450 on an Asus P5A with 128MB SDRam
and an Asus V2740 AGP Card.

It's rock solid and smooth sailing

Greetings Peter

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NE2000 compatible card - how to setup?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:25:32 GMT

Easiest thing in the world under Red Hat.. use the standard kernel (don't
need to recompile) and run the "control-panel" program from an xterm under
Xwindows.. You might reference your manual to see exactly where to go but
there are 2 different sections of the control panel which are related to
network.  One of them has a place to actually configure a network DEVICE
(well, 4 of them actually) and tell it which kind of card it is.. you would
select the NE module, for NE2000... It should work.. NE2000 cards are about
the easiest and most reliable in the since that you can almost always make
them work!
--DavidM

Hugo van der Merwe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Date: 14 Apr 1999 14:52:23 GMT

In article <7f10dp$kh1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
westonpa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am having a hard time finding a low cost SCSI scanner. So far, the ones
>which I want are either discontinued, or the only SCSI version is for
>a Mac. So my question is, can a Mac SCSI scanner work under a PC linux
>system? If so, then I will quickly by one.

The reason they sell PC and Mac versions of SCSI scanners separately is not
because of the actual scanner, but because of the junk it comes with,
specifically software, manual, cable and (if for a PC) SCSI card.  The
actual scanner itself is likely the same.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johannes Niess)
Subject: Re: Support for CD changers?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:20:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete) wrote:

>Hello all,

>I happen to have a Panasonic 5 disc CD changer. (IDE)

>I was wondering (other than treating it like a plain old CD drive)
>is there any other OS support for such a beast? Like the ability
>to switch cd's and automount?

Eject can do this. It is not part of all distributions. I'd like to
get your tested script...

Johannes Niess

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:49:58 +0200
From: Janos Ero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Theo van der Merwe wrote:

> I am looking to replace a Matrox Millenium 8MB G200 video card (doesn't work
> correctly under Redhat 5.2) with a simple, hassle free, freely available and
> inexpensive video card.

I am using Matrox Millenium 8MB G200 AGP with RedHat 5.2 and XF86Free 3.3.3
(upgrade for RedHat). It IS simple and hassle free (but not freely available).
It runs just as SVGA, not as accelerated, but I find it fast enough. For high
resolution
(I use 1600x1200) it was necessary to manually edit the XF86Config file, but it
was
easy. Just donīt forget to make a security copy of the working XF86Config,
before
doing any changes!

> What video card would you recommend that is
> autodected by the X server (doesn't require tweaking of configuration files)
> and gives reasonable performance under Linux (a 17 inch LG monitor will be
> used)? I have had some problems with a S3 Virge video card before.

I think for optimal results you cannot avoid manual editing the XF86Config.
I have the impression, that both configuration programs, Xconfigurator and
XF86setup are rather old, they donīt support directly and/or automatically
all those cards supported by XFree 3.3.3.

Janos Ero

------------------------------

From: "VIDM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP NetRAID SCSI controller and related R8 disk storage
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:00:18 +0200

I'd like to know if someone out there is using an HP NetRAID disk subsystem
with Linux.
It is composed by a SCSI interface and a disk array storage enclosure for up
to 8 devices.
I know there is a commercial driver for SCO Unix.

Thank you in advance.

Vittorio

------------------------------

From: Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need reccs for new motherboard and ultra wide scsi HW for Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:30:47 GMT

I have a Gigabyte BXDS with a pair of (overclocked) Celeron 300A processors
and 128Mb of SDRAM. This runs Linux incredibly fast and seems pretty stable.
I ran a couple of kernel compiles with no problems at all. When I find time
to move install Povray I'll give it a proper burn-in.

Only drawback (or maybe it's an advantage) is that I'm having trouble
installing NT. The boot loader refuses to recognise my SCSI hard drives.

Don't forget that to run Celerons in SMP mode requires a modification to the
processor. (I guess Intel will disable this too one day :-( )

Just my thoughts,

Keith.

--
My employer bears no responsibility for my newsgroup postings.

From: "John Castillo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 16GB hardrive-problems with fdisk
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:42:13 -0700

I have a new 16gig drive I want to put in my linux machine running redhat5.2
build 2.0.36.

I can partition cylinders 0-1023 but do not now how to go beyond that point.
help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob v.d. Meer)
Subject: Creative Pci64 unsupported ??
Date: 14 Apr 1999 19:31:04 GMT

Hya,

I've just bought an Creative Pci64 soundcard (The Ensoniq clone) but Linux
doesn't seem to recognize him.. At bootup it tells: Unknown device at PCI
adres 1237:1381 and the it does not install the sounddriver configured
in sndconfig.. The HOWTO of the AWE64 doesn't get me any further either caus
the AWE is an ISA card..

I'm running Redhat 5.0 with kernel 2.0.33... Anyone can help ??

Thnx in advance, Rob

---
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Young Technicians Delft
Faculty of Electrical Engineering
 University of Technoligy Delft.

------------------------------

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:29:21 GMT

In article <7evvlc$1eob$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
> In article <7evcd6$pe1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> westprog  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >My definition of getopt() has it operating in the context of the command to
> >parse the **argv - but I admit that my phrasing was misleading. My point was
> >that the shell passes the command string with minimal changes.
>
> That doesn't make sense to anyone who knows that the purpose of
> the shell is to process the command line.

> >I would like to see something seamless, so that if you change the default in
> >the 'shell' (I am using the Unix term here) it will automatically change the
> >_default_ behaviour of the application. The application will always have the
> >right to override any defaults for it's own needs.

> Again, this doesn't make any sense when the 'application' is in fact
> a shell script, using what you are calling applications as tools.
> Cp, rm, ln, etc., etc. are intended to be single-purpose utilities
> to be used like functions within a shell framework.  Why would you
> ever want the tool to override the behaviour that it's caller
> expected?

If I am working with CORBA, for example, I will possibly be working with
CORBA servers. Why should the shell intervene to perform file expansions if I
am not dealing with files in the first place? If I want file expansion as
provided by the shell - which is appropriate in the case of cp, rm and such
commands - I can call a standard library to parse the input.

I do not suppose that any such scheme could be made to work sucessfully for
Unix.

J.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: 3com / US robotics 56K
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:22:14 GMT

Try www.shoplet.com I believe they sell it for 113.95.

From: Gotthard Saghi-Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for reliable Linux system vendor
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:12:58 -0400

  I would like to buy a good quality, boxed Linux system. Could you,
please, suggest me several reliable vendors with good quality products and
hardware support (US only)? I have already looked at VAResearch, Penguin
Computing and Dell. Could you also, please, comment on these three
vendors?

Thanks in advance,
Gotthard