Linux-Hardware Digest #25, Volume #11            Mon, 16 Aug 99 16:13:29 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 2.2.10 sound kernel question (Douglas E. Mitton)
  inappropriate ioctl for device (Magnus Ljungqvist)
  TNT2 and Linux Mandrake 6.0 (MattCero)
  Re: SB16 PnP problems (Dave Ulrick)
  Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux? (Walter Francis)
  Question on Redhat 6.0 and Laptops (Dell O.K.?) (NSAG)
  Re: HELP! need Drivers for ATI Lt Pro AGP2X ("Alexander W. Janssen")
  2 Ppro's - 1 hot, 1 cold??? ("Paul Nelson")
  Re: How do I make a single floppy - (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: problems with Matrox ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: 2.2.10 sound kernel question (Andy Johnstone)
  Canon Multipass C550 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IBM17v Screen (Josef Maltan)
  DSL Modems... (Gary Valley)
  Re: aic7xxx detects harddisk but not linux (Michael Stevens)
  Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI and MIDI-- cannot find a solution-- not a newbie ("Jamie")
  Re: scsi hard drives (paul)
  intel NIC and matrox video (benjamin j snyder)
  Re: ELSA Winner T3D - S3 86C368 - Try this before the FB dev server! (Andy Johnstone)
  tcl (Icculus)
  Re: Monitors and Red Hat Linux 6.0 (Apurva)
  trident blade 3D (107-AGP) (CyberSky)
  Re: Monitors and Red Hat Linux 6.0 (Apurva)
  Old Adaptec ISA SCSI Support (Ryan Dlugosz)
  Failed display question ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas E. Mitton)
Subject: Re: 2.2.10 sound kernel question
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:38:40 GMT

Sound is there in the 2.2.10 kernel ... SoundBlaster is under a new
option ... select OSS Sound and the SB option will appear.  Below is
the Sound portion of my /usr/src/linux/.config file which allows my
Creative Sound Blaster 16 to work just fine.  I use modules as my card
is PnP and that is how I got it to work.

Good luck!

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_PAS is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_WAVEFRONT is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAUI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA1 is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_UART6850 is not set

>On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 02:13:44, (Joe Smith) wrote:
>
>> How come the 2.2.10 kernel has not /dev/dsp or /dev/audio support
>> option under the sound configuration?  Also, I cannot set my IRQ and
>> other settings for the sound card.
>>
>> 2.0.36 works well, but I was surprised 2.2.10 didn't have these
>> features.
>>
>> Can anyone offer an explanation?
>
>> Needless to say, I could not get sound working under 2.2.10 but I can
>> under 2.0.36
>
>I've got the same damn problem and the HOWTO's tell you to do it like we
>always did in the past, except there are no kernel options to do it with
>except for a few odd ball cards.  Geez, not even the old SoundBlaster
>is an option.
>
>                      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The FACTS are my Employers, OPINIONS are my own!

Sorry: SPAM reduction project in progress:
       Remove the "x." from my domain to reply!

From: Magnus Ljungqvist <"Magnus,Ljungqvist"@hitis.pp.fi>
Subject: inappropriate ioctl for device
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:49:06 GMT

Hi!

Some days ago I had a computer crash. (yes - with Linux...) I was
working with some larger soundfiles in wav-format when everything froze.

When I started up Linux again I couldnīt play nor wave- or mp3files
anymore. Midi works, and the cdplayer too but nothing else. No
systemsound, no nothing.

I tried to play some wav-files with wavplay and this came up:
"inappropriate ioctl for device". Whatīs the problem and how can I fix
it?

Iīm using a Redhat5.1 distribution, Linux2.2.2 and kde 1.1

Magnus Ljungqvist, teacher in Finland

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MattCero)
Subject: TNT2 and Linux Mandrake 6.0
Date: 16 Aug 1999 16:49:04 GMT

I have an ASUS 3800 AGP video card with 32 Mbyte ram.  I am trying to get it to
run with Linux Mandrake 6.0.  I downloaded four files from the NVIDIA site that
are suited to get this thing running.  Only one of the files are required
though.  Could someone please tell me what to type at whatever command prompt
so I can start an x windows session that fits on my screen?  Without sounding
humorous, could you explain the procedures to me as if I was retarded AND from
outer space.  Too many people at this point have been sayint "just insert this"
 or "just add this line and then bla bla"  I'm at the point that I don't even
know how to use a text editor or anything in Linux.  I read the manual that
came with it and it's not that helpful. Help is always appreciated.  You can
respond via the group or just email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you need to yell
profanities at me.  I can take it, believe me.  Thanks Matt Cero

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Ulrick)
Subject: Re: SB16 PnP problems
Date: 16 Aug 1999 16:10:53 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:18:23 GMT,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Brett Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi-
>> I've got a monster sound MX300 which of course doesn't have a linux
>> driver yet.  So I went out and got a SB16 (I think its actually
>> something like a vibra16).  Unfortuantely its plug and play.  I've
>used
>> isapnp to set it up as
>>
>> (INT 0 (IRQ  5 (MODE +E)))
>> (DMA 0 (CHANNEL  1))
>> (DMA 1 (CHANNEL  3))
>                   ^^^
>
>Be sure the DMA Channels you are specifying are the same as what the
>BIOS is reporting on boot--you can't just pick them! (I tried...)

I just got done wrestling with a SB16 PnP this weekend.  It turns out
that the card doesn't even have a 16-bit DMA channel: the BIOS reports
that the card uses DMA channels 1 and 0.  The fix was to recompile the
kernel and modules with the 16-bit DMA channel set to -1.

>-Dan

Dave
Dave Ulrick, Systems Programmer                 Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL, USA

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:43:26 -0400

brian moore wrote:

> As for MIDI sounding better than MP3's: MIDI is -far- more compressed
> than MP3.  Hint: the typical MIDI doesn't come with the same sounds that
> the encoder used.  You think all soundfonts sound the same? :)

As far as I know MIDI doesn't compress the samples at all, it has pretty
much only the strict information on the music and not the samples to
play them.  The actual samples come from an external source, such as
from a downloaded package of samples or internal samples in a keyboard.

Perhaps I'm wrong..

The MIDI player, from what I've experienced, is a big factor.  My simple
Amiga with a 68030 @ 33Mhz plays MIDIs beautifully, very rich and
smooth.  Windows, playing the same midi, sounded like the theme to a
cheap kids cartoon.  Even my palmtop sounds better than Windows played
it.  (Well, maybe not, but.. :)  I haven't tried midi's in Linux yet,
perhaps this is a good time to.

Followups have been pruned to cos.hardware where they belong.

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

------------------------------

From: NSAG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Question on Redhat 6.0 and Laptops (Dell O.K.?)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:57:53 -0500

Could anyone recommend compatible laptops for a Red Hat 6.0 install?
Thinking about a Dell Inspiron (any problems here?)

Looking for a platform that will recognize PCMCIA cards without too much
hassle.

Thanks for any advice!!

Brian H.

------------------------------

From: "Alexander W. Janssen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,be.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: HELP! need Drivers for ATI Lt Pro AGP2X
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:22:21 +0200

Hi Basheer,

to run this videocard wihtin XFree, you must use the
Mach64-driver. But anyway, the Rage-3D chip isn't
supported... :( I have tzhe same problem with my
ATI All-in-wonder PRO.

cu, Alex.

------------------------------

From: "Paul Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: 2 Ppro's - 1 hot, 1 cold???
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:19:29 -0700

Hello Folks,

I having trouble with a Dual Ppro computer with two 180 cpu's.

The machine started crashing as the weather got warmer. I thought it might
be a cooling problem. I found that when touching the heat sinks, one is warm
(not hot, just warm) and the other is cold. I tried switching cpu's and heat
sinks/fans but it seems that it's the slot that determines which one gets
warm (secondary). I even tried a different VRM module and this makes no
difference.

Both cpu's are working and my Linux SMP kernel runs just fine until things
get warm.

Any suggestions appreciated,

;-) Paul

Paul Nelson................... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Riverdale School, 11733 SW Breyman Ave, Portland, OR 97219
school (503)636-4511.....................fax (503)635-6342
Riverdale Web Page......... http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do I make a single floppy -
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:22:02 -0400

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the command you want is
mkbootdisk (at least that comes w/redhat).  There's a boot disk howto at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html check it out.  I've
never used mkbootdisk, i did it the howto way.  my computer booted as if i
was booting from the hd, i couldn't tell any difference whatsoever.  As
for dos, the files you need are only in that os.  format a: /s should do
it.  you'll need to add a line to a:\config.sys to load an atapi cdrom
driver, if you have an atapi compt.  cdrom.  hope that helps

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with Matrox
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:06:28 -0500

adolfo wrote:

> I have a Matrox Millennium G200-AGP and when i tried to install linux
> debian it didn't work. The only way to see something in XWindow system is
> to configure it as a vga16. Does anyone know what to do?

What version of XFree86 are you running? What video driver are you using?

I use this card with XFree86 3.3.3.1 and the SVGA driver, no problems.  IIRC
the setup couldn't autoprobe my card memory, so I had to specify it myself,
but everything else configured normally. (I'm not using Debian, but that
shouldn't be a problem, so long as you have a recent XFree86.)

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:23:49 -0400

Well, 2.2.9 has support for those things.  You have to say M to OSS sound
system...you should see a line for sb's apper below that.  There's one
option if you have an sb16,32 or 64.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Canon Multipass C550
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:32:01 GMT

Can someone point me to some docs etc. on using the Multipass over a
network, where it is running on a Win95 machine, and I need to print
from my Linux machine?  Thanks!

Sean

From: Josef Maltan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM17v Screen
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 19:14:19 GMT

Am 16.08.99, 13:08:11, schrieb "Mark See" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>=20
zum Thema IBM17v Screen:

> sys=3D redhat6 (kernel 2.2.5) matrox millenium 2mb G/card
> Hi all.  I have an IBM 17v monitor.  I have set it up according to the=

> manual specs.  Horizontal/vertiacl refresh etc.  Yet when I move
> horizontally across the screen the screen goes black for a second then=
=20
comes
> back in the right place?  It works fine vertically.

> Any ideas.  There doesn't seem to be a specfic driver for this model, =

it is
> quite old.

> Thanks

> Mark

Hi,
read likes it blinkes when you move your pointer far enough to change=20
to your second, or third, or whatever
number of virtual screens.
Try to find out the part of virtual screens in the XF86CONFIG file and=20
set it to your physical screen size,
i gues 1024*786.
Greets, Mike

------------------------------

From: Gary Valley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DSL Modems...
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:48:02 -0400

I would like to get a DSL modem, but i'm hesitant because I don't know
whether it's supported under RedHat or not.  Does anyone know a) if DSL
modems are supported by RedHat and b) if so, what a good recommendation
for one is???

-gary

--
Gary Valley
The MITRE Corporation

From: Michael Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aic7xxx detects harddisk but not linux
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:23:14 -0400

Make sure the SCSI bios is enabled.  I have an Adaptec 7xxx controller on
my mother board and it misses it entirely in Linux if the SCSI bios is not
enabled.

Hope that helps,
Michael

------------------------------

From: "Jamie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI and MIDI-- cannot find a solution-- not a newbie
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:55:18 -0400

I understand the card does not support it in the hardware.  However, with
the SoftOSS modules, you can get it to play midi with the commercial OSS
drivers.  I addressed these issues in my posting.  I appreciate your input
though.

Has anyone been successful with this?

Jamie
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:7p8p1e$6n8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> Ensoniq AudioPCI does not support MIDI.  The  timidity  package provides
> very adequate software MIDI emulation.  Timidity is certainly available in
> Debian distributions, I am sure you should also be able to find a .rpm
> somewhere.
>
> Alastair Jenkins
>

> >       Ensoniq AudioPCI and MIDI-- cannot find a solution-- not a newbie
> >
> >   From: "Jamie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >   Reply to: "Jamie"
> >   Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:49:35 -0400
> >   Newsgroups:
> >          comp.os.linux.hardware
> >   Followup to: newsgroup(s)
> >I am running RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5-22 (and have tried 2.2.10 with
> >same problem).  I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI (es1370) soundcard and am
having
> >trouble playing midi files properly (ie through /dev/sequencer or
> >/dev/music).  I am very interested in getting this to work because I use
> >Rosegarden (a music notation/ sequencer software package).  Though I
> >wouldn't consider myself a newbie (I have used Linux for sometime and
have
> >done successful kernel recompiles, am not afraid of Makefiles and
tarballs,
> >and have gotten all my other hardware to work-- except my blasted
WinModem),

------------------------------

From: paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi hard drives
Date: 16 Aug 1999 11:53:12 -0400

Lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> what is the difference between wide and ultra wide hard drives?  can
> you use  an ultra wide controller  card  if you have a  regular wide
> hard drive?

Ultra Wide speaks at 40MB/s, Fast Wide at 20MB/s and Wide at 10MB/s,
with 20, 10 and 5 megatransfers/second respectively.

Controllers will negotiate down to the lowest common denominator among
your connected drives so it shouldn't be a problem.

paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (benjamin j snyder)
Subject: intel NIC and matrox video
Date: 16 Aug 1999 16:03:39 GMT

I'm having problems getting my new NIC to work.  I did a fresh install with the
new card and the install detected the card, but when I get finished installing
and finally log in, I cannot ping my ip-masq server.  I checked to make dure
the NIC is set as active etc, and it's all good, exceot it doesnt work.  I've
tried with different cards (same make/model etc) and have no luck.  I get the
same response in Windows (which sucks, because it's hard to play multi-player
games w/o network).

I've booted from a DOS floppy and ran the diag tool provided by Intel and it
says the card is fine, but if I let windows load any dirvers it tells me there
were recourses not allocated.

I know this is nto necessarily a linux issue, but this is the only ng I could
think of to post to...here's some info on my machine:

ASUS P2B
Celeron 333
Matrox Mystique
Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+
various ATAPI/IDE drives
that's about it...
--
Ben Snyder

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ELSA Winner T3D - S3 86C368 - Try this before the FB dev server!
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:38:25 -0400

Last post about this i promise.

This is from the Xfree86 FAQ page.  So don't try that other stuff i said
until you try this...

"The Trio3D is supported in XFree86-3.3.4. Please note that the Trio3D has
the ChipId 0x8904.
The Trio3D/2X, which has ChipId 0x8a13 may have a similar name, but is a
completely
different (and less capable) chip. You can get it to work by adding the
line ChipID 0x8A10 to
the Device Section of the XF86Config file. Better support for this (and
automatic detection) will
be added for XFree86-3.3.5. "

------------------------------

From: Icculus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: tcl
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:31:02 GMT

2 questions:

Does anyone know of any online tutorials for the tcl scripting language?

Does anyone know of any sound drivers being developed for the Turtle Beach
Montego 2 sound card?  It supports A3D and I haven't found anyhting yet
that will un this under linux.

thanks,
Icculus -- a new gu

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Apurva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.x.general,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Monitors and Red Hat Linux 6.0
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:30:54 GMT

cakumar wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Apurva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > (warning! - newbie question)
> >
> > I recently installed Red Hat Linux on a box that I had custom built
> after
> > a careful review of the hardware compatibility lists at Red Hat's
> website.
> > I didn't see anything there about monitors, but that was okay since
> due to
> > money constraints, I couldn't afford one.  I've been using an old 14"
> AT&T
> > monitor (model CRT 329M) with mixed results.
> >

> > Money situation is better now, so I'm in the market for a new monitor.
> My
> > question - What monitor(s) [Manufacturer and models] work best with
> > Linux?  Or is the only concern to make sure you have a compatible
> video
> > card (which I do)?
> >
> > Any advice would be most welcome.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Apurva
> >

> No problems which ever monitor you have. Since you have a compatible
> video card should be ok. Just be careful with your vertical and
> horizontal sync frequencies. since you are changing the monitor recheck
> those frequencies you have set earlier and change it to suite your new
> one.
>
> That shld be it
> Good luck - cakumar

=====
Thanks for your help.  Appreciate your confirmation.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: CyberSky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: trident blade 3D (107-AGP)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:34:27 +0100

I am trying to install Redhat 6.0 Linux (with XFree86 3.3.3) on a PC
with a video card trident blade 3D (107-AGP) but the X configurator
gives me no obvious choice of drivers which works. Does anyone have any
suggestion as to where to locate an appropriate driver or know of an
alternative driver and settings which work?

Since I am not a regular news reader, please reply also by email to

Diogo

------------------------------

From: Apurva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.x.general,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:31:01 GMT

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Ryan Dlugosz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Old Adaptec ISA SCSI Support
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:25:55 -0700

I've got an old Adaptec ISA SCSI Card in my pc, it works in
Windows, I think its dectected as a 152x or something to
that effect.  So far I've been unsuccessful with getting it
to work in Linux.  Even if I tell it that its at IRQ 10,
the system swears that it doesn't see it... Any Ideas?
Please Cc: in email.

Thanks,
Ryan

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Failed display question
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:48:46 -0700

Does anyone have a clue as to why my cursor simply blinks in the upper
left corner of my monitor on my Linux box?  Could it be the video card?

I don't want to simply turn the box off, but how do I know or do the
shutdown procedure when I can't see what is being written?

Actually I would like to simply turn the box off, but I don't want to
lose my install.  And I want to be able to access all the files I have
created the last 8 weeks or so.  The box has been on for 8 or 12 weeks
now.